Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi there, off to Candolim on 20th October for 10 days with hubby and 13 year old! First timers! Have sought advice as such, from health centre regarding malaria tablets, does everyone take them and would regular travellers to Goa recommend them??

Many thanks J xx
I think most do and some don't, I personally wouldn't risk it. I'm one of the lucky ones and hardly get bitten at all but it only takes one bite from a malaria carrying mozzie.
Malaria cases have risen in goa over the last few years and it is a dreadful disease which can kill. As well as malaria treatments try to avoid getting bitten by using lots of repellant especially at sunrise and sunset when they are most rife.
Have a great time whatever you decide and stay safe. Goa is a place you will want to visit more than once :)
Hi,TurqoiseJules, We have been to Goa many times and ALWAYS take malaria tablets.We think it is better to be safe(or try your best to be)than sorry.There is also a sticky on malaria and vaccinations at the top of the page.Enjoy Goa,I'm sure it will not be your last visi!!! :cheers Happy holiday,Paula
Does anyone know if it is possible to buy the anti-malaria drugs to take just for the 2 weeks before you go out (and then buy the rest of the course when you get to Goa). We always bring enough back with us so that we have them to take before our next visit and then stock up again when we get there, but our friend who is going with us for the first time this year obviously will have to buy some over here. I wasn't sure whether the pharmacies would only sell you the complete course or whether you could buy whatever you want.
Many thanks for the info, i am sure we will have a great time and have all the sprays ready to hand!

Jules xx
Does anyone know if it is possible to buy the anti-malaria drugs to take just for the 2 weeks before you go out (and then buy the rest of the course when you get to Goa). We always bring enough back with us so that we have them to take before our next visit and then stock up again when we get there, but our friend who is going with us for the first time this year obviously will have to buy some over here. I wasn't sure whether the pharmacies would only sell you the complete course or whether you could buy whatever you want.

Brenliz, not sure which ones you take but the ones we take you start a week before you go and carry on taking for 4 weeks on return. I buy on line
http://www.travelpharm.com/index.cfm/malaria/Products.List/category_id/27/subject/antimalarial_tablets
and the cost for one person for a 7 week supply is only £13.25. Not sure what you pay in Goa but I trust British drugs 100%, not sure about foreign supplies !
cheers Dave
Bren you can buy them in boots,and superdrug,but any chemist will sell you chloroquine and proguanil,in whatever quantity your friend wants
Thanks for the info, those are the ones we buy in Goa Dragon and I think we do only take them a week before we go, I get confused with all the weeks before and after business, but I do read the instructions carefully before I start the course. Will tell him to just ask for the minimum amount then and get the rest in Goa. Thanks again for the quick response from everyone.
Thanks for the tip about Travel Pharm DaveWales, I am going to order ours from there.

http://www.travelpharm.com/index.cfm/malaria/Products.Details/product_id/9/subject/paludrineavloclor_xa31260_per_pack_7_strips_free_postage

£25 seems reasonable for two of us! Although I have no idea how much Boots etc would charge - but assume it would be more.
Might be worth reading this topic http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=60526&start=60 in conjunction with the one here, they are presently having a discussion regarding side effects of some Anti-Malaria products and the benefits of others.
I need Malarone for travel to the Gambia in January. It's only available on private prescription which, luckily for us, our GP doesn't charge for. I enquired as to the cost at our local Boots and was quoted £3.20ish per tablet. Travelpharm charge £2.15. We need 60 tablets for the two of us..quite a difference !

However, just looked at Kiltmans link to the other discussion and, as a result , discovered Malarone is only £2.10 at Superdrug. As we have one locally that is easier than dealing by post.
They only seem to stock Malarone which is not needed for Goa.
Hi,

We brought honeybeesHarveys malaria tablets in the pharmacy in Goa last year you can buy any amount you want... proguanil (daily one) are 50 rps for 10 and the weekly ones.... chloroquine are
7.20 rps for 6

I cant take those..... had really bad headaches :( ....... so then tried Malarone was quite poorly taking those and ended up at the doctors in Goa ....so now have 28 spare tablets (paid £2.10 per tablet :duh ) sitting in the medical case gathering dust!!!!

Last year after much thought tried doxycycline :pele they agreed with me!!! they were 9.17rps for 10 in Goa....(15p each stratford pharmacy)

hope this helps Trina
Can anyone tell me how long injections last...had em when i went to goa 2yrs ago...will i need to get some more,?
not sure all i remember is there was alot lol....both arms...
hep A 10 years if you had primary and update vacc within 1yr of 1st typhoid due 3 yearly, dip tet polio 10yrs but if you had 5 vacc in lifetime that should be OK
totalpharmacy.co.uk has one week supply of pauldrine/avlocor for £1.50, pp£2.50
was thinking of buying one weeks supply each for all four of us and buying the rest in baga :think
We returned from Goa 2 weeks ago, first timers and we opted for the Paludrine/Avloclor pack - 7 week pack cost £15.49 at the local Pharmacy, 112 tablets in total, 2 weekly and 2 daily, never had any probs, wasn't worth the risk we felt.

Jules xx
just ordered ours from totalpharmacy.co.uk £1.50 for a wks supply.will buy the rest when we get there
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.