Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
I use my UK mobile in Turkey. It seems to pick up Turkcell very easily and although its expensive its there for urgent calls. I have also rung the UK from my room in the Residence. They charged me about 40 pence for a 5 minute call which I thought was OK.
just re reading your question do you mean a uk or turkish contract, i assumed you meant a turkish contract but re reading im not sure what you meant, if you mean uk then the answer is yes i do use my uk contract phone but even with loads of free texts in the uk i lost these in turkey and had a very high bill so next time im buying a turkish simm too use
Hielle-meg, I have a english contract phone, but when you go away you can put a code in and you can go onto a turkish tariff, then you contract back whe you leave but it comes off yout airtime minutes in your contract, just wont to know which is the best turkish network to use as you can choice which network you want to switch to. Yours Janice
someone on the general enquires might be able to help you as ive no idea except ive used my uk contract mobile and i didnt get a choice different areas in turkey came up different companies sometimes i got telsim sometimes turkcell
I've been told today that if on the three network as soon as you turn your mobile on in Turkey you're charged. Anyone know if this is true?
Charged for what Laura?

Generally speaking, with a UK mobile with a UK sim in it, you will be charged for incoming and outgoing calls when you use your phone abroad. Plus you will be charged for any outgoing texts you send. Tariffs vary, you'd best check with your network provider as to exactly how much you will be charged for each of these 3 things.

Elaine
Hi We,re just back from Marmaris I have an O2 paygo it cost me 60p to txt to home and to my friend in resort. I bought a 10 lira phone card which was very easy to use and got 100 units on it which was working out at 1 unit per minute to home probably more to a mobile but didn,t try it.
i'm not sure what the charge is for to be honest.

i know you're charged for calls, both incoming and outgoing, and also texts. i was hoping just to take my mobile for emergencys and use a phone card for any other phone calls home but if i'm going to be charged for simply turning the mobile on (perhaps something to do with then using a turkish network?) i won't bother taking it.

i know three rips its customers off quite a bit so this wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.
I've been on Orange, O2 and Vodafone whilst using a UK mobile in Turkey in the past, and not been charged just for switching the phone on. Only once I've started making calls, texts, and receiving calls.

Elaine
I am on O2 pay and go, and if you have the 300 text messages (for topping up £10 a month) then what you can do is send mms (picture messages) for free! I have done this the last couple of years with O2 in Turkey in May 07 and September 06 and in Corfu in Aug 05. I think it just comes off your text allowance for the month - eg 1mms = 3txts Its a great way to send pictures and you also get moretext in a mms even if you aren't sending a picture. I also found the call charge to either a landline or a o2 mobile the same as it was when i was at home, so tended to use my mobile instead of a phone card.
Iam on 3 mobile pay monthly , you have to register to roam before going abroad.
In Turkey there are 3 main cell phone providers Aria, Telsim, and Turkcell
the latter being the most common. The only way you will be charged for having your phone switched on, is if voice mail has been activated. So before you go, make sure this is deactivated.
The cost to ring the Uk with 3 is £1.20 per min to receive its 50p per min.
To send a text its 25p to receive a text its free.
What is the cheapest way for my daughter and her boyfriend to call each other when she is in turkey.

When we were in Flordia it cost her a fortune to even receive his calls on her mobile. Untill we got a Virgin Phone Card and she used the land line. I suppose i could e mail the Xanadu and enquire if they have pay phones. : :?

It would have been so much eaiser if he could have come with us :roll:

thanks for any help.
My son used MSN in Internet cafe, i assume there will be some out there somewhere !!!! A lot cheaper than a phone call.
Yes thanks i had not thought of that. Even though we are AI and i dont think i would like the idea of her going out on her own.

I suppose i could take the lap top.
When I go to Turkey I buy a 10 lira calling card to phone home, unsure about how many minutes it gives you, but I call my Children several times with this one calling card. Might be a few less minutes to call a mobile though.

Have a great time.

TC
Your hotel will probably have internet for guests either free with the AI or at a charge.
My daughter uses the internet to contact her boyfriend as there are internet cafes all over turkey. There have been times she has bought a phone card and they are good value. Jacqui
hey, i agree best bet is probably to use the internet and either email or have a convo online cos its much cheaper, your prob talking bout 1-2 lira for half hour, great value, this is what i did when i worked in turkey last year n was watching the pennies lol!in some internet cafes they have telephones too which dont work out too much considering so long as you keep it short and sweet otherwise buy a phone card as these are great value too, my friend uses this all teh time for phoning home!xx
I would say the cheapest way is to get your daughter's boyfriend, to call her hotel room using Skype via his computer 1.2p per minute.
For more details see
http://www.skype.com
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.