Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Thanks Ian, I think I will just do that.

Is it 1 credit to text in Turkey to a Turkish number and 3 credits to text home?

Mary x
Hi Mary.

I think that you are right.

Ian
Thats great, much cheaper than using our own phones.

Thanks Ian,

Mary x
Hi

Will try with same phone again in May and it is so much cheaper to have a Turkish sim card.
Don't know what price phones will be this year but the cheapest I could have bought in Marmaris last year was £49

Chris
Hiya
Im with turkcell.It costs 3 kontours to text english number 2 kontours for turkish mobiles :D hope that helps.Also calls are cheap to ring other turkish numbers off yiur turkish sim especially same network. :P
happy holidays xxx

also set it up so that you can keep it active whilst in the uk even if you dont use it as some networks will close the sim card down if not used within 3-6months.So if its set up for roaming in uk you will be fine thats what i do.
Thats really good informationi, I will definitely register it to be kept set up for roaming.

The phone can then go into the holiday wardrobe with the holiday clothes ready for September :D

Mary x
Hiya mary
If your on turkcell i will find you the code you need to enter into your mobile before you board onto the plane to leave turkey,then when you land in uk it will find a network here and your phone can be used here theres no charge to recieve texts here only calls you will be charged for if you make or recieve.
joanne x :D
Thanks Joanne,

That will be really useful.

Mary x
Hi,

Briar, feel free to move this to relevant thread, but I couldn't find the thread I was looking for.

My question is,
I am off to Marmaris next Sunday I can get a Turkish Sim Card there. I have an open phone here, but I was just wondering, do I need to do anything when I get there to enable me to use my phone with the Turkish Sim?

Mary x

*Merged Briar :wink
Reesy,

You just put the Sim in the phone. You may wish to change voice options with the turkish service to English, ask the staff at the phone shop to do that for you. That way you will understand the announcements.

Phil & Marcus
Thanks Philmarcus

But the Sim Card is already active, it belongs to someone in Marmaris who is lending me the sim for the 2 week holiday. Will that make any difference?

Cheers,

Mary x
Hi Reesy,

No it will work straight away in your phone, providing of course your phone is unlocked (which you already stated).

Enjoy your Holiday, we are all envious you get to go before us :p

Phil & Marcus
its handy being able to do that but you just gotta watch they dont block it so that u cnat use it in ur uk fone, this happended ot me last yr after about a week and a half and i ended up using my bf's turkish fone with my sim which worked in turk fone!
I am sure that I read elsewhere that you stand to have your phone blocked because all mobiles that you want to use a Turkish sim card in have to be registered in Turkey. They automatically check your phones IMEI number when you connect to the service provider, ie Turkcell and if it is not a Turkish registered phone they cut you off and the sim/phone would be useless.
I am sure other more enlightened members will put you right on this though.
You might be okay for the duration of your holiday, you might get cut off by the service provider. I'd say, if you're being lent the sim anyway, you might as well try it out.

Elaine
the sim could possibly have a pin number so make sure you are given it otherwise the sim wont work, so when you put the sim into the phone switch it on then it will ask for your pin this will come from the owner of the sim if it p. a. y. g. not sure about contract sims
this is still abit hit and miss with the cutting off
if this happens just get a turk to phone for you and say the orginal phone is being repaired this is a spare
as long as the phone has not been reported stolen or lost you should be ok
i have used telsim and when i go to turkey in the summer im going to buy a telsim simm card as it will be cheaper for me to use in turkey,as my mother has a turkish mob and ill put it in my uk mobile. some parts of the complex showed up as a greek network too depending which direction you were facing, all bedrooms and reception have a phone that you can use to ring the uk but this will cost more, i dont remember seeing any phone boxes on sight but then i wasnt looking bridd might know. yes you can go into an open restaurant any time of day, there will be 1 open somewhere, usually from the main restaurant
Hielle-meg, Hve you ever used a contract phone abraod and put a pin number in your phone to change the network, also does the reception sell phone cards or do you have to buy then from the nearest supermarket.Yours Janice
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.