Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
MOROCCO
262 Posts
Well, weve still not heard anything and are off there in 6 weeks today. This happened to us last year, just returned from Sharm in Egypt and look what happened there, but they never advised people not to go. I'm sure the tour operators will let us know if anything occurs. We had never heard or read anything about this until now, but if we do then I will let you all know as its not long now. :wink:
i can see why this is worrying - just watched a programme on tv about the bombings in egypt - they also have a high terrorist attack warnning - i think the threats is just to try and scare people off

does anyone think twice when visiting london? i know i dont but im sure that it is a prime target for any terrorist attack

wont be saying this when ive been blew up into a million soggy pieces though

anyways im still going and i know its going to be a holiday to remember for all the good reasons!!!!!!!
I am visiting Marrakesh in November this year, we are staying at the Tikida Gardens hotel and we are hoping to do lots of shopping any info on Marrakesh would be appreciated as this is a first time visit, thanks.
not gone there ,but gone to many places with bad reviews,not had a bad hoilday yet,if you expect to much you will be disippointed,just try and make the best of it and just use the hotel as a base and travel out and you will have a good time,the reason you might find it hard to get info,could be it was before used,by a forign travel agent, or the hotel has changed names,if very worried see if you can changge hotels.have a good holiday
'... make my holiday perfect ...'

I regret that only you can do that for yourself in the last resort! Try to stay openminded, and remember that Morocco is an AFRICAN and MUSLIM country and cannot really be compared the the AIs of the Med, Turkey or over the pond.

If you remember that you are on HOLIDAY, and you and your partner agree on a positive mindset before you go, then your chances of having an almost perfect holiday are greatly increased. THE perfect holiday? More likely to be in your imagination, but reality can come a close second! Have a great time.
Hey,

Me and my boyfriend are really looking for somewhere different to go to next year and i thought of morocco, what is it like for nightlife? Is it safe to go to ? and also how long is it on the plane?

Thanks
Shellie :)
aint been yet but going in 17 sleeps

have been told its a good place to go - nothing like spain/greece etc

think its about 3hr 45 min flight - night life isnt what its like on the med for clubs etc but it serves all so im happy!

just have a look through some of the posts on this site and they should help you out

anyways

later

C
Hi all, just booked a 7 night holiday for Agadir in July, we have never ever been before and would appreciate tips on the following.

Do's and don'ts
Places to eat
places to have a drink
what are the bars like and what is the local beer and wine like
Places to visit
How safe is it, I have read with horror that Morroco is prone to terrorist attacks this is on the fco website
also any other tips / hints would be welcomed

I know I am asking a lot but as we know nothing about the place we would appreciate as much help as possible.

Regards
Sliema2

It's ok cancelled this holiday as we read about terrorism alerts on the foreign office website, thanks anyway.
Hi Sliema 2, FCO are not advising people not to go to Morocco and this country is not even listed on the at risk list of places not to visit. To be honest there are so many police and security about now in these countries I think you have got more chance of being mugged in England than abroad. Well we go in 4 weeks and there is 31 of us and we have not heard a thing from First Choice advising us not to go. Most of the countries you type into the Foriegn Office website are coming up as on terrorist alert even Spain and Tunisia and I've been to both these places with no problems atall. Lots of people on this forum have already been to Agadir in Morocco this year and all have had no trouble. If you get put off by everything you read then you will not be going outside the country, as there is good and bad where ever you decide to go. Sorry to hear you had to cancel your holiday because of this, but like I said weve not been advised to stay put. :?
Sliema 2

You may be wise, there is an increased risk of terrorism in Morroco this summer,details were in the Sunday Times and there is a thread on this subject below dated 1st June. Have a look..
Hi Cath, if you intend to walk around town or the souk, then yes I WOULD get a knee length skirt and some capped sleeved T-shirts, or a thin shawl. I just wore my sarong draped long around my waist with a thin cardi over the top.

But, shorts and strappy tops are fine around the complex and on the beech, they wont bat an eyelid there.

Even if you did walk around town like that, I very much doubt you'd get "approached" or anything sinister like that, just a few looks. Certainly avoid the mosque (which is quite a distance away anyway) and souk.

They are VERY liberal out there, you see some ladies in strappy sandals and others with their faces covered, but they are also Muslim so as their guests, we should show a little respect for their culture.

Above all, ENJOY! I'd love to go back :D
Im just back from Agadir last Friday. I would certainly not recommend it for people in their twenties (like me!) lookin for a bit of nightlife,etc. We found it was a promenade full of restuarants which you can sit and have a drink in but we found no bars at all! There was nothing to do after we had eaten! There were clubs but they didn't get busy till 1am and were full of locals and 'working ladies' who incidently grabbed my chap's behind!
So Agadir is certainly just a relaxing holiday, expect no more!
HI,

Has anyone been to Founty Beach recently in agadir?

Im going in 2 weeks and need some tips.

Thanks
hi, i am booked for september so sorry but you will be going before me...

can you let me know what you think when you come back...

go onto tripadvisor as they have got a lot of reviews and they have been very good

hope you enjoiy yourelf
Hi, does anyone know if you need any jabs etc for morocco. there is nothing at all in the first choice magzine.

Any help

thanks..

dave
You do not need any special innoculations for Morocco. But do not drink the water, and if you are self-catering cook all items with bottled water. Fresh fruit such as grapes need washing in bottled water. Also do not have ice in your drinks. Another tip if eating out is to ask to see the kitchen, if they have nothing to hide it will not be a problem, if they say No, I do not eat there. I have a home there and having been visiting Morocco for over 12 years my final piece of advice is to enjoy it and explore it just being sensible. My final piece of advice to you is that you will not be able to go out with Decent girls in Morocco, they are not allowed out by there families alone, so the LADIES that are prepared to go out with European men are ladies of the night.
Thanks for the advice, i am staying at the iberostar founty beach hotel and all inclusive. So i wont be eating out much.

Thanks for the advice..

dave :D
A word of advice, if you are on an all inclusive, be careful about eating salads espcially if it is on a buffet table, No hotel washes salads with bottle water, so once again stomach upsets are normally caused because of this, also do not eat salad from a buffet table in the evening, as most hotels prepare the salads in the morning and during the course of the day infection does often get into them. This tip was given to me many years ago after my daughter suffered a very bad bout of gastro which lasted for many weeks and had to see a stomach expert who had travelled the world and was Egyptian and gave me the above advice.
Hope this is of use to you

Tangerine
Hi, just back from AI in Agadir Morocco yesterday. I suffer with stomach problems and have lived on salads and fruit and veg for the 2 weeks of my holidays and also have been having ice in my drinks, we have had no problems or stomach upsets and there was 31 of us in our party. A few of us had a few stomach cramps and had to rush to the loo several times but it was all cleared up within 24 hours and not needing any medication to clear it up. We all had jabs though before we went as were advised to by our gps. The only thing some of our children have suffered with is ear infections and all had to have medicine and anti biotics but it was bought over the counter in the chemist and the pharmacist was very good and advised us what to buy. :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.