Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
MOROCCO
262 Posts
just looked at the weather in agadir now,im going in may.excited already.its 28 degrees.just imagine how hot it will be in may.cant wait now :D :D :D
Good good, I,m going there in July. Lets say its probably about 38 degrees then. My daughters friend is from there and he said that in the summer you cant breathe :shock: :yikes
My parents are out there now and its 25 degrees int he shade its 32 in the sun - they have never known it as hot for now - they go every year. We are joining them in 2 weeks
Cant wait now
hi i was there last august it was that hot for the first three days of the holiday all we saw was fog.it gets that hot that the sea evaperates to a mist and thats all you can see. Once the sun burns through its hot.45 at 8 at night having a meal. best resteraunt we found camel on the sea front.
I too go out there in July and was worried about the mist that I had heard so much about, buit maybee now I will be glad of it as it will take the heat out of the sun. Does anyone know what the average temp will be in the last two weeks of july? :sun
went in feb last year, wasnt hot at all.
i had the same jabs, i got mine for free but me mate had to pay £7 for some reason or another

i know a few people who have been without jabs but again its better to be safe then sorry!
We went to Agadir in september 2004 and we had a great time. Although the weather wasn't as you would expect in the resort. It was warm, but overcast and a little windy. We went on several trip inland and whenever you went inland it was the boiling hot african weather you would expect. Agadir has got more of a french feel than an english feel and you will find a lot of french people there. You must try a Tagine with Cous Cous. It their local stew and quite cheap and tasty available all over Morocco.
Hi me again. If you want to see the real Morocc you must go to Marrakech. and you must see the market square at night when it come to life with snake charmers and lights and witchdoctors and food stalls its mind blowing. We even saw some people trying sheeps brains there, but that wasn't for us. We hired a car and a driver and he picked us up at 5 in the morning and dropped us back off at 1 the next morning. We payed 100 english pounds between 2 people, but Thomas Cook was offering an overnight stay in Marrakech with hotel, travel and guide included and we will do that next time we go. It about 4 hours drive from Agadir but worth every second of the journey.
The overnight stay was 80 english pounds per person. Also everywhere you go in Morocco you must haggle (except in cafes and bars etc.) think of how much you are willing to pay for something and if they won't give it you at that price then walk away no matter how uncomfortable they try to make you feel. You need to be very thick skinned and very assertive and say 'no thankyou' or 'non merci' or 'la shukran' or even all three. We usually offered half of what we were willing to pay and work our way up to the maximum we would pay and stop there. if they still won't give it you at that price there is always someone else who will. Please please haggle or they will take all your money. Don't let this ruin your holiday though. Take your time and enjoy it as buying something is a cultural experience in itself. I hope you have a lovely holiday.
Im just back from a weeks holiday in Morocco in the Agadir Beach Club in Agadir. Weather was fantastic but that was the only good thing. Food horrendos - you seriously cannot eat their food. We had white bread rolls for brekkie every day. Their version of scrambled eggs is terrible, their porridge terrible, their cereal like cardboard, ham and cold meat terrible and their cheese terrible. We had mcdonalds every day for lunch (at least we knew what we were getting) and we didn't have one nice meal at night even trying all the places recommended to us. Their wine is like paint stripper and to buy french wine is 25 euro and the rest. The people are horrible - constantly hawking tourists to look and buy their goods. YOu cannot walk out on the street comfortable even with the amount of armed police. You have to be covered up when outside and even me in shorts and a top was gawped at so much that I had to wear tracksuit bottoms and a baggy t-shirt to stop them and thats with my husband with me.
The hotels have sections of the beach roped off and the minute you step onto the public beach the hawkers pounce on you trying to sell you rubbish. Also the police are on teh beach on quad bikes and horseback armed. Not what you want to see on holiday.
We also witnessed 3 drownings in one week - beach not patrolled by lifeguard in all areas....
Anyone planning on going to Morrocco God help you - change your holiday if you can
:roll: i travelled to agadir in october last year( husband and daughter of 15 too) - we were all really excited about the holiday and stayed at the occidental caribbean village. i have to say that the ratings on the hotels are not very accurate. ours was in a poor state of repair and the food was pretty bad.
however, on the plus side the weather was lovely - the private beach was good - but as soon as you moved away from it to go in the water you were bombarded by hawkers.
you are constantly bombarded by hawkers wherever you in agadir, we went to the local souk, which was a must as far as i was concerned; this was such an intimidating place. in my honest opinion i would not recommend agadir as a holiday destination, it did not live up to our expectations and we were very disappointed with the whole trip. if it doesnt cost too much to find another holiday and transfer then do it!!!
I totally agree with Deborah.
I returned from Agadir on Saturday and hated it there. There standards are terrible and no way up to scratch with european holiday destinations. See my thread that I posted on my return. Again if I was you I would change no matter what the cost is as it is a intimidatig, dirty place and not a beach holiday destination
we have just returned from Agadir on Sunday and I couldn't disagree more with the previous posts. Agadir is beautiful!!! The weather is lovely and the beach great. There are beggers and hawkers but a polite No Thanks and they leave you alone. We stayed b+b and found there are plenty of restaurants and cafe with good quality food which is well cooked and cheap. there is even an authentic curry house!! I would recommend Agadir, The Anezi Hotel to anyone and can't wait to return as soon as possible. Any further questions feel free to ask!!
:thanks for that, least that report sounds abit more reassuring. We are a party of 31 going in July, staying in Agadir. We cant wait and always go with an open mind. I suppose it all depends what you want out of a holiday. We are going AI, so theres bound to be something alright to eat and drink. As long as the hotels are clean and tidy and the sun is shining I'm sure we will be fine. There are some bad reviews about it but there are also some excellent ones, so we will just go like I said with an open mind and decide for ourselves. :wink:
It is always like this - some like a place and some not!! thats life!

We are staying b/b at the Oasis - some reviews are so so and some are Ummmm but there you go, cant please all of the people all of the time.

We have not been to Morocco before so when this is the case we only book a week and, then decide if we will ever go for a return visit.

Hawkers are a nuiscance thats for sure - we like an early morning walk and then one on an evening - hope they are not around then, looks like we will spend the day around the pool - shame!

Essaouria has also been recommended so I think we will get a taxi there to dine a couple of nights - apparantly it is 1000 Ds for this.

Any more info for this Moroccan newbie will be most welcome

Jan
I have been reading about some peoples experiences to Morocco and i must admit i feel a bit worried about going now,we have been to Tunisa and didn't think morocco would be as bad but it seems from your threads that it is,we are taking my son and his g/f both 20 with us and we have paid a lot of money to get the right holiday,i thought it would be a nice destination,but as some of you have had bad experiences i am getting worried :shock:

Should we change or stick with it :?:

You lookforward to your hols all year and to have it spoilt would be horibble.

help!! :fly
Hi , I don't know where in Morocco you are going but we traveled to Agadir at the end of March and loved it so much are returning at end of May. We too have been to Tunisia and would never return there but Morocco is 100 times better in our opinion. If you have any more questions please ask.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.