Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
There are mozzies but no more than anywhere else I have been. If you are prone to being bitten you can get a good repellent there called Off made by Johnson's, you can also use lemon cologne to deter them and get a plug for your room.
From what I've read, the worst place for them is the Holiday Village at Sarigerme, because it is built on a swamp so they say! There seem to be a lot of complaints about mozzies from people who stay there.
We don't seem to ever have a problem with them in Turunc. They fumigate the village sometimes, so maybe thats why.
When you have decided which resorts you fancy, perhaps you should ask the question again more specifically then you will get a better idea of whether the places you have in mind have caused any problems for others.
we were in marmaris last september even though it was 45 to 50oc everyday i never got bit once and thats good for me as always get bit abroad we hardley saw any. there was men spraying in the evenings to get rid of them
Hi Shrimper went to Hisaranu in seotember and as it is surrounded by forest the evenings are very mozzie friendly but get a good repellent and citranella candles a plug in for your room and no problems.The local council came round at night and sprayed the whole area with some kind of repellent which helped, but if they show up cover your efes as the spray goes everywhere have a good holiday enjoy cheers chris
Avon skin so soft is great I take it all over the world.
Greetings . Mossiezs are a bit of a pain most places in Turkey but please dont zap them as they are also God's creatures and ten million will turn up for the funeral . We're off to Hisaronu tomorrow (saturday) . Regards --wee-john :D :D
I go to Marmaris every year,they do spray the place,and Ive had no problem with them,(maybe they dont like me).
They get me evry single time I go, I also use Avon skin so soft which is the only thing that works for me, But after my evening shower I sometimes forget to put it on, And if that happens im alway's bitten :que
Greetings again . We take garlic oil one-a-day capsules for about a month before we go , we still get bitten but it doesnt seem so severe or itchy. maybe it is only psy c pshich . ach what the -- h imagination or maybe our Scottish blood isnt rich enough for them . Gorus,urus, . wee-john. :tongue :tongue
Sorry to disappoint you, John, but I'm Scottish through and through and the little blighters just love my blood!
However, although I have been bitten in Turkey, it's never been as bad as the two times I've visited the Costa del Sol, where I was bitten so badly I've still got the scars to show for it!
I've tried almost everything - garlic capsules, Marmite, Vitamin B6, etc etc The Avon SSS does seem to help a bit, but I'm still searching for that elusive something which will keep them away from me altogether!
i'm with blondiescot on this one i was bitten to bits last year and my arm and foot was swollen it seems i'm allergic to them LOL going to the doc on thursday for tablets to help me this year

suzie :)

3 weeks on thursday yeeha!
i just found this - never heard of it but you know i'm going to research it more and find if this can be bought in shops or just over the net, if it kills those mozzies I am up to giving it a try.

Neem - Used for centuries in India. The India equivelent to the FDA believes that "anything from Neem has to be good". Traditional uses: acne, psoriasis, eczema. relieves athlete's foot, ringworm, yeast infections. pain releiving, anti-inflammatory, healing. Safer and more effective that DEET. Repels and kills mosquitos, biting fleas, sand fleas, chiggers, ticks and black flies.
i did not use the normal creeams etc this year I took a vitamin B complex tablet each day and i was ok
I swear by Avon SSS. Got bitten alive in Zante and used it for my wedding in Cyprus, only got bitten once on the night I forgot to use it. Thumbs up to SSS, I love it but they certainly don't :tup
Avon SSS - I used it once and it did work, but i was told only the woodland fresh one was any good (which is the one I tried) but avon seem to have stopped making it. Are the other smells just as good? And I was bitten raw in Bitez last June and September..... Just after coming back from the September hol I had to go to the doctors because of a really bad cough that started while I was on holidays but the doctor saw and was just as concerned about the bites! Off again in 3 weeks (again to bitez, the beach of the bites!) so any info on the other varieties of SSS would be appreciated! In the meantime I have my jungle formular repellant at the ready! :)
We only saw 1 in Side at end of August/ early September last year. And that one was in one of the transfer buses on an excursion.
Del, Avon do still make the Woodland Fresh Skin So Soft, but it's now called Soft and Fresh (I think). It's the one in the bluey/green packaging and the dry oil spray is the best to go for. The others in the SSS range don't work as far as the mozzies are concerned - you need the Soft and Fresh one.
Actually, it's on offer at the moment too - might order some for myself!

http://avonshop.co.uk/product/bath-and-bodycare/skin-so-soft/skin-so-soft-soft-and-fresh-dry-oil-body-spray.html
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.