Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Suo, mixers are normally sold in individual bottles and as for yogurt, I'm sure your find many places selling it as it is consumed a lot in India ;)
Tony, thanks for the quick reply. Glad to hear that. I cant bear bars that have large bottles of drinks on the side and just pour it straight over the spirits. I know this usually happens in all Inclusives and beach bars, so I was hoping the answer would be that cans or small bottles are served.
The yoghurs I was interested in are the ones which have pre or probiotics in, good for the gut apparently!

thanks- S
I thought all yogurt was good for the gut, oh, and cooling down when eating hot curries :D
I think it may be Lassi that you have heard about, which is drunk all over India.
This is made from yogurt, water, fruit and Indian spices, and is reputedly a cure for gastroenteritis - it's a myth.

It's a lovely drink, but I am very careful about where I ask for it, because it's mixed with water. :cheers
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a2/Fatfreelassi.jpg/250px-Fatfreelassi.jpg
Max13biker - thanks for that info, Might be a bit dodgy that one .

I was thinking more along the lines of our Activia or Yakult, someone was suggesting its a good idea to have one of them a day, what with all the rich food and risk of tummy bug. Thought India may have their own well known brand :think
[code]To date, the European Food Safety Authority has rejected most claims that are made about probiotic products, saying they are unproven. [/code]

Probiotic drinks are a load of tosh - your stomach gets all the good bacteria it needs in a normal diet.
My OH was that ill while on holiday in Egypt and for 4 weeks later, that now I'll take any advice on offer that might help prevent anything, so if some people thnk Probiotics might help , I'll give them a go.
Dont normally like any alternative therapies etc, but dont think these can do any harm. I'll just scout round for some during the hols in Goa,
Wont be spending the whole hol Yoghurt Hunting !!
Thanks again.
Thay do have its called Old monk or Honey bee.you can get it in a 750ml bottle,just keep it in the room. ;) ;)
Howardmaria, havent heard of the Old Monk, but have read much on the healing properties of the HONEYBEE, cant wait to try it. Might even mix it with the probiotic if I find one LOL, :yikes
Holland & Barrett - Mega Potency Acidophilus Capsules
Good digestion relies on a healthy gastrointestinal system. Acidophilus is a probiotic bacteria that provides an additional source of beneficial bacteria naturally found throughout a healthy digestive system. Supplementing with Acidophilus may help to maintain healthy intestinal flora. Provides 3 billion active cultures..... :think
It may be worth starting to take some of these maybe a week before you go, and continue to take them during your hols.. :que ....Keith
Always take these Keith ,normally start around 2 weeks before the holiday and as
you say carry on through the holiday and for a week or so after,have no problem,s
with tummy upset.
one thing to mention is you do need a fridge in your room[must be kept in fridge
once opened ] they come in Blueberry and Strawberry flavour, so easy to chew :)
annx
KJF and Arond , thanks I will have a look a them.
You can get pre-biotic tablets from Boots that you can take with you. They will help protect against holiday tummy and give your immune systym a boost and they are proven to keep your digestive tract healthy. You start taking them before you go. I have used them in this country as well to help me get over an illness and they are great. :glynis
Traveler's Diarrhoea - quote from American Gastroenterological Association.

It's possible to get infectious diarrhoea when you travel and your body is exposed to new, normally harmless bacteria ("traveler's diarrhoea"). Most studies show that probiotics are not very effective in preventing or treating traveler's diarrhoea in adults. Scientists face a challenge in determining which probiotics might be useful because of the number of destinations people travel to and the number of different bacteria travelers may encounter.

The only time your gut may need an extra boost of bacteria is after a course of antibiotics.
I agree 100% with Max and whenever I have been prescribed a course of anti biotic in Goa the Doctors have also included a course of Nutrolin-B plus, a pro biotic with vitamin B to help the gut bacteria recover

10 caps only cost 11.62 Rps but one doctor also said a good dollop of curd (yogurt) on fruit salad would taste better and do the job just as well, if not better
i would stay away from the honey bee if i was you its made me sick every time i have drank it! nasty cheap drink that gives you a terrible hangover... im sure one or two dont do any harm but every time i have had a good session on it i have not been a bit well... have been to goa 3 times and only been ill once or twice but its always been after drinking that muck!!! shame because it's not a bad tasting drink...
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.