General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Hi Madge.......I think Nationwide have recently changed the rules on the FlexAccount, in no small part due to the current credit crunch. Many people purely used the account for holidays to get the no fee withdrawls etc. However you did have to put an amount in on a regular basis if you weren't going to use it as your main current account.

I believe they've altered that whereby you have to use the account as your everyday current account, if you have your salary paid into it that counts......of course you could always then set up a regular transfer from the FlexAccount into your own account on a monthly basis, a little tiresome but worth the effort in my opinion dependent on how often you go abroad and the potential savings plus let's not forget the excellent VISA rate that you receive which, 9 times out of 10 is better than the exchange rate in resort.

I'm sure if you pop in to your local Nationwide branch they'll clarify it for you.
I registered around a month back, and there were three options, and looking at the screen again (as i just did right now) those haven't changed. I took the option to pay £100 in, and that still exists

Have a word with your local branch
I don't know if it's anything to do with it but Nationwide are in the news today as having a few problems!
I opened an account a couple of months back and chose the option "I will open an e-savings account...". I didn't switch my current account but transfer money when I can to the account and then into the e-savings account to save up for holidays, etc. Used it for the first time to take money out in Greece at the end of September and got a much better rate. It worked well for me!
I don't know if it's anything to do with it but Nationwide are in the news today as having a few problems!

A quick Google on news items relating to Nationwide says it's profits are down by 18% - hardly surprising at the moment. Of course some headline writers like to make a meal of this, e.g. the Mail online "Nationwide profits plummet..." - just noticed that the Telegraph actually say it's profits are up... :que

As Douglas Adams said "DON'T PANIC"
thanks all for your replies if i have got time i will pop in to a branch and see what i can do.thanks again :tup
I had problems trying to open a nationwide account on-line as well. popped into my local branch and jobs a goodun. Couldn't have been more helpfull, done all the paper work, sent the application in and I got the card about three days later.
Used as a holiday account, but if my current bank doesn't stop pestering me to take out a loan every two weeks, it will soon be my main account.
Hi,

I applied online too, about 2 weeks ago, we have had our cards & cheque book through, just waiting for pin no. We only want it as holiday funds, so we are still keeping our normal account - no problems so far!

I have transferred some funds into it via internet banking, so hope the pin comes soon as we won't be able to withdraw it otherwise ;) . Registered online for the internet banking & passwords etc came through in 2 days.

Hope it turns out ok for you madmadge.

Deb.
When my free travel insurance ends next year I am going to make Nationwide my main account,as why should I stay with a bank that charges me for taking my money out of an ATM abroad?.I have had a flex account for years,opened only to use on holiday, but only started using it on holiday this year as my hubby would not believe they didnt charge for the service!.You get a much better rate of exchange.
Just a reminder that you can just go up to a counter with your card and take money out. No pin no needed! You can also easily pay a cheque in this way unlike my main account with HSBC where you have to fill out accompanying forms!!!
For anyone thinking of moving their main account to Nationwide....

I've had my current account there for years and I've had 100% excellent service. :cheers :) When I switched the account, one direct debit didn't transfer properly so I ended up with insufficient funds and was charged, but they refunded me in full, no questions asked.

I meet with the branch financial advisor every couple of years, and whilst they always strongly recommend that you take out x or y policy, there is never any hard sell. The on-line facility is great - bit slow at times but that's my computer rather than the site!!

Wouldn't move to anyone else!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.