Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
Hi :D

Well I have been travelling to the Greek Islands since 1991, Corfu, Crete, Zante, Rhodes, and day visits to Parga, Kefalonia etc.

I understand what you say about fast food bars etc, but I think you will now find these in just about most resorts. Saying that, you will also find greek restuarants serving good food everywhere too!

We have never hired a car and have always been able to get around on whichever island we chose to visit.

Most islands have their own attractions and each give trips to other islands, we went to Corfu last year and visited Albania for the day. I have also been to the mainland from Corfu. From Rhodes we visited the little island of Symi, that also was lovely. From Zante it was a day in Kefalonia etc etc.

We prefer somewhere with a bit of life but not overly crowded, hence we holiday in early October when the weather is still warm but the crowds have died down a little. I am 50 yrs old and my partner is 35 and we both enjoy the same places.

Have a look at some sites for the different islands and see some pictures to help you decide. You can take some advice from feedback sites but I find we all have our own preferences and what I like, you may not.

Hope that helps.
Hi :)
There is a good post on some places that may fit the bill in Corfu by iluvSanGeorge, see this thread
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=106206

In Arillas, certainly there are no burger joints (although a fast food very Greek Grill joint, very good!), but there are two bars that play English/U.S music. Having said that, the tavernas are a place you can stay in all night, and enjoy drinks after your meal. Sunsets at the beach (where there are several tavernas) are delightful. A nice long beach for a stroll, and you can trip into Corfu town on a coach for the evening once or twice
http://www.agni.gr/guides/what_to_see_and_visit/corfu_town_kerkyra.asp

Molyvos on Lesvos is delightful - the brochure pictures don't really do justice to the tiny town tumbling down the hill. It may fit all your requirements, but accept that it's a bit hilly. A great time of year to go, and a nice Greek feel. If you don't want to leave Molyvos, you don't have to, but you can get a trip or a bus to areas nearby. A lovely place, very picturesque (also by night)
http://www.lesvos.com/molyvos.html

Parga is very picturesque, a really nice setting, and I visited late season several years ago in an apartment, very few tourists really. Certainly I didn't see any burger bars! About an hour transfer, so not bad. Quite hilly too, and a very Greek atmosphere.
http://www.ninisworld.com/places/parga2004/abtparga.html
many thanks for your advice - you have given me a slightly better idea as to what to look for - I shall have a good look at the links and hopefully will come to a decision soon!
Good luck in your research and choices, Caroline. Will be really interested to know where you have chosen (and what attracted you most in the end) :)
If you want picturesque, Caroline, I can recommend Symi. It does involve a ferry transfer from Rhodesof 1-2hrs depending on hydrofoil or ferry but in my view it's worth it. Manos, Kosmar and Olympic fly there from Manchester certainly. There are lot's of atmospheric tavernas to relax in and it's a very friendly island with a laid back pace of life completely different to Rhodes. The old town, above the port is worth a wander round and the harbour is simply spectacular. there are bays within walking distance and you can also reach them by taxi boat.
Symi is lovley but unless you trip over to Rhodes I wonder if there would be enough for you to do, especially since you are not beach lovers 8)

There are plenty of nice places in Corfu as Kojak says, it also has lots of places of interest and trips galore! Corfu Fort is a must so to is the souvenier shopping experience! :D

I am off to Corfu in 2 weeks time ( my 4th trip there ) and I am still not bored with it! Again personal choice as I know that there are some lovely other islands waiting to be explored :!: Maybe next year :idea:
Hi!
Dear Cathy

By been Greek I have an advantage over everyone else in knowing Greece.....lololol

Anyway, before giving you any advice I would like to know more of what you prefer, for example you do not want to travel by ship. This means you want to arrive from Manchester to the island by plane? Or you can compromise by arriving in Athens Airport and then travel 1, 2, 5 or 10 hours by ship?
If you narrow it a little bit I can be more assistant as there are more than 3.500 islands in Greece

Spyros
We have had around 40 holidays in Greece on 20 islands and many mainland destinations. From your requirements Lesvos fills the bill except for the transfer time to the resorts I think would suit you best. There is an excellent bus service (very cheap) between Eftalou, Molyvos, Petra and Anaxos and none of these resorts are spoilt by tourism. However the transfer time can be up to 2 hours, recently more likely to be around 1.5 hours. First Choice have improved their times (less stops) this season and have some very well situated properties of all types in these resorts. Generally the food in this region is equal to the best we have found in Greece. We know many islands well so feel free to ask if you need any specific information
RDV - thanks for your reply - I have looked at Lesvos from an earlier post and it looks like it may fit the bill.

Spyros - yes we are looking at flying in and then not having to travel further by boat - I know this does restrict us for a lot of the islands but we are only going for 1 week so want to make the most of the time there.

To narrow down the criteria (if possible!) main "musts" are:

Picturesque, good selection of tavernas, places of interests to visit (wouldn't be hiring a car so good public transport a must), a nice beach would be an advantage but not essential.

I know a lot of places will fit the criteria but not having been to any of the islands before would appreciate personal feedback, however I do understand that everyones ideas of perfection are different!!

I would just like the destination to be as perfect as possible for my mum and I would like the holiday to be really memorable and special.

Thanks

Caroline
Have decided on Molyvos Lesvos - can anybody recommend accommodation please?
Good choice, The Sea Horse Hotel overlooks the harbour or for a quieter location the Erifyli is excellent
I'm sure you'll love Molyvos, Caroline. I can't for the life in me remember the name of the apartment we stayed in several years ago, but it was in the town itself, which was a lovely location. I remember the Sea Horse though, and it has a great location overlooking the bay. Very handy for everything. I think that all the rooms have a sea view.
http://www.seahorse-hotel.com/

They also have a travel agency and can arrange trips for you (probably cheaper than the rep)
http://www.seahorse-hotel.com/
Caroline,
if you hav'nt found it already http://www.lesvos.com is a very informative site. Its generally kept up to date and its mostly accurate. The one comment I would make regarding restaurants is the impression that the only place to eat fish is Molyvos harbour. The setting and atmosphere are superb but you do pay for it and on occasions we are not sure that fish priced by the kg. have been priced correctly. With the exception of restaurants we know well we ask to see fish weighed. This year Tsipoura, our favourite was around 40 euros a kg. at the harbour but available at 24 euros elsewhere.
Stayed last year and had great time. hotel staff very friendly, even got me speaking greek
I have just booked the Seahorse for next August, after having stayed at the Olive Press for the last 6 times, Olive Press in need of good overall cleaning up and maintenance and the rooms are minute, you nearly have to get dressed on the doorstep.
After the service we suffered at the Olive Press in July we will not be using this hotel again. I have only ever heard good reports of the Seahorse and the staff in their harbourside cafe are very pleasant
Kefalos, Kos - Has everything you want :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.