Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Hi, I think the hotel is great. I have been twice (2003,2004) and have booked to return twice more for next year.
A little bit about the hotel:
The rooms are situated in inmmaculate gardens which they tend to daily. There are no high rise buildings in the grounds so you can really see the scenery around you. The hotel is situated on the far side of Olu Deniz, there are no more hotels to one side of the complex as there is a 'mountain' with a road leading out to Lykia World.
There is plenty of entertainment during the day, if you like that kinda thing. There is also evening entertainment for the children then the adults. After the entertainment has finished the hotel DJ plays some music so you can carry on your evening there, or head out into the town.
The bar serves 'free drink' until midnight, but will stay open until everyone has finished drinking.
The restaurant is in the heart of the complex, there is a balcony area which overlooks the swimming pools (childs and adults) you choose where you sit, the waiters are very polite and helpful, love to have a chat with you over your meal. meals are buffet style so you are sure to find something to take your fancy. The salad dishes are wonderful and during the week they bake there own bread in the open oven which is next to the bar.
There is a snack bar located in the Olive Garden where you can get bites to eat when the restaurant is closed, anything from burgers, ice cream, popcorn etc.
Out the back of the hotel is the beach, a mixture of sand and pebbles. The sea can be tricky to get out of so shoes are advisable. I have had many a time lounging on the beach watching people come out of the sea and what a struggle! I know I shouldn't laugh but it cannot be helped. At the beach there are sunloungers and parasols which you have to pay for, 3million each per day. A nice chap works for the hotel on the beach, he is in charge of the watersport facilities that are on offer as part of the all inclusive package - canoes and pedaloes. A soft drinks machine is also availible for you to use, and at 4 o/c everyday it is 'cookie time', he will bring a tray of biscuits from the hotel to the beach where the guests can then help themselves. The paragliders which you can see descending from the mountains land on the beach, a little bit up from the hotel, it is great to watch.
The town of Olu Deniz is not too large, you will find what you are looking for - jewellery (must buy) clothes (genuine fakes) turkish delight (yum yum) bags (a must) and so much more. There are plenty of restaurants so if you wanted a change from the hotel you have a lot to choose from. Everyone is welcoming you into their shops etc but a polite no thanks is fine.
All in all the hotel is situated in a pefect location, all the staff are great, food is great, which is why I return. As a single girl I feel very safe.
Any questions feel free to contact me. I am sure I will think of a few other things to tell you in the meantime. When are you travelling? have you been to Turkey before?
Hope I have been of help to you.
Dont know much about the hotel - but Olu Deniz itself is very nice. It can get very hot on the beach - what time of year are you going? From the report above - it certainly sounds as though you will not be bored. Have a great time.
Hi,

Thanks for all your feedback, I am going in August (very hot I know :oops: ).

Have stayed at the Asena Beach in Olu Deniz but with the family had trouble getting a big enough room.

What are the breakfasts like? at the Asena Beach every other day they did omelettes (very nice).

Thanks in advance

Tony :lol:
I have only been in September, but next year am going June for 2 weeks then September for 3 weeks.
All meals are buffet style. Breakfast time there ar omelettes freshly done, plain or cheese, also can get little skinny sausages cooked. Lots of fresh fruit availible, toast, croissents (? spelling), toated sandwiches, cheese, cereal, boiled eggs. Basically you won't be dissappointed.
At the evening meal time there is a range of dishes, chicken (always), red meat, pasta/spaghetti, fish, vegetables, chips (sometimes) potato dishes. The desserts are beautiful and the chefs will be out cooking fresh crepes for you.
I'm here for anymore questions, feel free to contact.
:x20
we went there for our first turkish holiday in 2002. we loved it.

Its just too expensive for us now as we're paying adult prices for my eldest girl.

Family rooms aren't huge, they have a single bed and a fold up Z bed, as well as a double bed.

the fridge is a godsend, air conditioning is free another godsend, it took ours about 10 mins to get some speed going and wasnt the fastest air con we've experienced.

the jewellers in the hotel main complex is nice and friendly and fairly good prices.

you can book directly with the hotel as well saving some money compared to the tour operators.

Yes i was one of those people who couldnt get out of the sea, its the big pebbles in the waters edge that stops you getting out, poor toes. I tried putting flip flops on , it split and went floating out on a wave, so old trainers are more sensible.

now i'm really fed up and want my holidays.

Bev
Hi,

Thanks for all the info, cant wait to go

Tony :lol:
Hi everyone! We're off to Turkey for the first time in July. Just wondered if any knows if this hotel has a hairdryer and tea/coffee making facilities in the room? Don't want to use up my baggage allowance with travel kettle and hairdryer if I don't have too - much rather take more clothes LOL!!!!

Thanks,

Sam
As far as I know they have a hairdryer but not tea/coffee making facilities.
We too are off to Turkey Olu Deniz Resort - 04th July flying from Exeter.
This is our first trip to Turkey - can't wait - all the reports are very positive. What is your July date?
OOOh!!!! same as us - 4th July - we are flying from Bristol - it's our first time there tooo - so exciting I can't wait :P
Sam, we'll have to look out for you - are you AI for this holiday - we have two daughters with us a 17 year old and 14 year old which is why we chose AI so the 17 year old could "Do her own thing"
edited : couldn't see my original post so posted again, then it appeared twice!!

Yes, me and my husband are going AI - never done this before, but I've heard the selection of food there is really good, and as I'm a veggie hopefully there'll be a good selection of things for me. My hubby's a fussy eater too so hopefully he'll be catered for (I think he's looking forward to the chips and burgers LOL!!)
Olu Deniz Resort HotelROOMS
We had the sea-view rooms, which are I think larger than the standard rooms (mind you I don't see the need for large rooms, all you do is sleep, wash & change in them on holiday). They are up a very steep sloop, to the side of the hotel (not on the main grounds). I would say they are unsuitable for young children, the elderly or anyone with any type of mobility problems. If however you can cope with the climb, you get a room, a great view, a quieter area & a small pool & bar area just for the sea-view rooms (this area also has a great sea view). The rooms were very well kept (our chambermaid did a fantastic job) & had all you needed. A hairdryer in the bathroom, a bathroom which was of a decent size to & not pokey. Fridge for cold drinks & TV (if you're really boring!)
Storage space for clothing was OK as well. Small terrace outside room.
RESTAURANT
Clean & airy and some tables available outside on the terrace overlooking the pool.
Great food, huge choice, at breakfast there was always a chef cooking something fresh to order, omelettes, eggs & German sausages or pancakes. Very soft fresh breads, toast, boiled eggs (3 or 5 mins) coffee, tea, fresh fruits whole - (apples, oranges, ECT) fresh fruits chopped - (melon, grapefruit, ECT) yoghurt, cornflakes, oats, dried fruits - (apricots, sultanas, ECT) Cheese, cucumber & all that foreign stuff!!! Orange juice wasn't great, my only breakfast complaint.
Lunch, fresh breads, fantastic salad bar, soup (I think?) hot buffet, array of fresh chopped & whole fruits and ice-cream.
Dinner, again fresh breads, salad bar, soups, hot dishes, out-of-this-world desserts, array of fresh chopped & whole fruits and ice-cream.
Tea & coffee after dinner cannot be taken in the restaurant; you have to go to the "olive grove"
Restaurant staff were as all the staff, fantastic. It was our first time all-inclusive & I can't imagine they make much in tips; however the standard of service would make you think they were!
GENERAL
Hotel was super clean & grounds were amazing, like a garden centre & really well kept. Staff were very friendly & couldn't do enough for you! Pool area was very busy with children, but there is a bus in the morning & after lunch to the lagoon, where there is a small section of course sand beach with sunbeds for guests at this hotel. Water was beautiful like a huge warm bath, hardly a ripple in it. There is also a section at the main beach for hotel guests, but it is stony & shingled & hard to get out of the water because of a steep slope over stones (you need plastic shoes for this one). Choice at the all inclusive bar was limited to red/white wine, lager, vodka (& a couple of other sprits) fizzy mixers and soft drinks. However not being a big drinker this didn't bother me. There was a large patio area called the "olive grove", here you could get tea/coffee, soft drinks, burger, chips, cheese salad rolls ect & ice-cream and fresh fruit.
Entertainment every evening, can't comment on this as we never stayed to watch it, go out for a wander, and entertainment staff who organised children's games during the day as well.
TURKISH BATH - HOTEL SPA
It was our first time to Turkey & we wanted a Turkish bath, we knew you had to have them before sunbathing so we booked in first thing. The hotel next door seems of a similar standard (The Belcekiz Beach Hotel) we had an all over body massage & foot reflexology for (£10 & £5) £15 for both on our last day. However they also do Turkish baths for £10. However on our first day we were not aware of this place & used the spa downstairs in the Olu Deniz Resort Hotel & paid double that! Also when we went for the massage they sent us into the Turkish bath for 10 minutes to open up the pores & the actual room was much grander & more authentic. They also gave us free tea. So go to the one next door.
DAY TRIPS
Went on a jeep safari with "bloody gorgeous", paid £17 & that included lunch. Great day, great fun. Wear your oldest dark clothes & expect to get filthy. Would not recommend this trip for the elderly or young children, as you will be climbing in & out of jeeps, in the freezing cold gorge & wallowing in mud.
Also booked the 12 islands boat trip, was a choppy day & don't think boat had any stabilisers. Ended up paying a speedboat (shared cost with a Swedish woman & her daughter, they also felt ill) to take us back to shore. Many people on the boat didn't seem to be enjoying it & some children were getting sick. DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOU ARE REALLY GOOD ON BOATS, I thought I was OK, till that trip.
Also Fetiyeah has a big market on Tuesday (you can get the Dolmus (small minibus) there very cheaply. Great for belts, bags, t-shirts, spices, teas ECT.
ALL IN ALL
I was surprised a how clean & friendly it was, I was really impressed with all-inclusive. I was very impressed with the hotel.
I would like to return to Turkey, I would like to return to Olu Deniz as I can't imagine Turkey has any prettier places & if I was to I couldn't stay anywhere else as I can't imagine anywhere else measuring up to The Olu Deniz Resort Hotel
WHITE DOLPHIN
Went here one night as it has rave reviews, found the drinks very expensive, the food quite expensive. The tables & benches more RUSTIC than I would have expected at these prices. The tacky dolphin salt n pepper pots more suited to a pound shop. The lack of menus puzzling? You have to go up and read off a blackboard near the front door & pick your fish from a display chiller. The service OK. The food good (but not amazing). I ordered a coffee & was given a huge mug more suited to a greasy spoon. The free pick up & return is a nice service & great as it's up a hill. The sunset & views are FANTASTIC & TO DIE FOR. However it's on a cliff edge & very green and as the sun sets, the mozzies and insects come out. We didn't get bit, but felt as though we were being eaten alive. For this reason I wouldn't go there after dark again. They do spray Olu Deniz with mozzie spray, might be a good idea if this restaurant paid them to spray up here also. Would also be a good idea if they trimmed bushes/trees/greenery over hanging tables as it feels very over grown & "things" did drop on out table. As darkness falls it isn't well lit and you don't know if "things" are dropping in your food & you are eating them.
Congratulations on an excellant report,covers everything we need to know.

Gene
Thanks for posting such a great and informative report on your holiday. I'm off to Olu Deniz Resort Hotel in July (first time to Turkey) and it was great to hear that you had such a brill time there.

Sam
Thank you for that - I am off to the Belcekiz beach in just under six weeks. My first time to both Turkey and AI as well- hope we have as good a time as you :D
The Belcekiz beach was the other really good AI, they are beside each other on the beach front. We went in there for a drink & I used the loo (very clean) & a cheaper spa!
The Oyster Residence (we also had a drink in there) is very small but better than The Belcekiz Beach or The Olu Deniz Resort Hotel, BUT I think B&B there costs the same or more than AI in the other two!!!! It's a honeymoon type of place or at least romantic couples, not a family sort of place.
Hope you all have a great time, do the jeep safari if you can, don't do the boat trip unless you have really good sea legs (I thought I had!!!)

WISH I WAS THERE!!!!
thanks again. Is the oyster residence the one owned by the same people as the White Dolphin? If so the pics are wonderful but not the place for me and 2 kids!!Will give the boat trip a mss - seasick on a lilo!!
Yes Oyster Residence & White Dolphin are owned by the same people.
I thought the White Dolphin was over-rated, nothing wrong with it, but not what I was expecting though.
The Oyster Residence was sandwiched in a really busy part of the sea front & it is only a small place, so while inside it is really nice & upmarket, it has railings around it, which do little to keep out the hustle & bustle of the resort. Its romantic & upmarket, but not peaceful or a getaway/hideaway.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.