General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
David HT Mod wrote:
A few weeks ago, the Glasgow Passport Office was apparently handling so many postal applications from throughout the UK that those requiring urgent appointments in Glasgow were being offered Belfast or Durham instead. :yikes

David :wave

Not true.

Glasgow don't deal with postal applications other than putting them on the system.

This does not affect the public counter applications.
Thanks for the reply guys.

I know for sure my passport is at durham because the online checking system and the people on the phone (0300 222 00 00) told me such. It is also those people on the phone that told me that my total time from taking it to the post office to getting it back is going to be more like 5 - 6 weeks as opposed to 2 - 4 weeks (which I was told how long it would be during 'busy' period).

I'm pretty annoyed to say the least. No one at IPS will give me a straight answer about why its taking so long (this flooding thing I didn't even know about!), and anyone who sounds like they are going to be helpful put me on hold to go and 'sort' it out, only to come back from their supervisor with the pre-made lines: "you never used a guaranteed service", "its our peak period" and the one that is annoying me most: "Its a replacement passport so it takes longer". What?? Thats not what it says on the IPS website, and I've had accounts from various people online and in real life about getting it back super quick, some in ONE week :(
You sound like you've been terribly unlucky.

I took the £97 fastrack one week service for my passport and it arrived on a Wednesday after attending the appointment on the Monday, but I have spoken to other people who have used the Check and Send 3 weeks before departure and recieved thepassport on time

I understand the frustration, I'd probably say you could complain on the gronds you felt cajoled into the check and send service but you'll probably just get a standard reply of 'nothing is guaranteed, use fastrack' which is ovbviously of no help

Is there no way they could cancel the original application and try to get you into fastrack?
Hi Clownboy

Not true.

Glasgow don't deal with postal applications other than putting them on the system.

This does not affect the public counter applications.

It was reported in the media at the time, not that this makes it true of course. THIS is one of the press articles.

David HT Mod wrote:
Hi Clownboy

It was reported in the media at the time, not that this makes it true of course. THIS is one of the press articles.

Hi David as stated at the bottom of the article, it would not affect counter applications.

The person in the article was advised that the earliest available appointment was in Durham or Belfast.

This had nothing to do with postal applications.
Just to update you guys, I managed to get much more pleasing news this morning. Apparently my passport had reached the heavens of the examination office and would be getting checked today or tomorrow. After pleading for a way to 'upgrade' and get it quicker, I was told it was possible to upgrade the speed at which the new passport is printed and sent out to me.

So the lady who would be checking my app talked to me personally and took my telephone number.... and then she phoned me back and told me the photos were not being accepted by the system! D'oh! So now I'm at the mercy of royal mail and how quickly the new pics land on her desk. Wish me luck guys! I've got exactly one week to get it in time! Hahaha.
Have you been told what is wrong with the photos, so that you know how the next ones should differ, as obviously the Post Office Check & Send service didn't identify any problems.

Apparently the photos were just not accepted by the system, something about the white background blending in with my clothing.

I'm really on edge waiting for this passport now. On tuesday it seemed so promising, that I'd just send the photos and the passport would get done. I called on thursday morning and got put through to durham again, and the progress team told me just to sit tight, that I would get a call on thursday or today. I waited and waited and couldn't wait anymore, called them in the afternoon - pretty much the same message, that the photos were 'waiting to be scanned into the system' and that I -should- get a call today about paying for the delivery upgrade. But now its midday and still no news...

Why do I get the feeling this isn't gonna happen for me? :(
Try not to despair yet. The positive stories about the IPS far outweigh the negative ones.

Do you really think that they will get it to me by first thing wednesday now? I'm asking that because I need to boost my hope levels >.< I need to check in to my flight by midday on wednesday, leaving wednesday evening. They told me for an extra fee, I can get royal mail special delivery, which I trust. Its just the part of getting the passport printed and ready to send that I'm concerned about, now that it is friday.
I can understand your worry and concern, I certainly wouldn't want to be in your position. All I can say is that the IPS have been known to work wonders in what often seems to be impossible situations. Hopefully there will be a positive outcome in this case and despite your panic and frustration, please do remember to show them the respect and courtesy they deserve when phoning them, bearing in mind that this is not a problem of their making. It was the Post Office Check & Send service which checked and accepted your photos and you now need to rely on the IPS to resolve the problem and complete the process speedily.

Oh of course, I am always nice and courteous whenever I call them. Especially when I actually get through to the durham office, they are very helpful and I feel as though I am getting a service. But each time I have to call the national line, I often get the impression that the new person I'm talking to each time, doesn't understand the urgency of the situation, even when I explain it to them.

Thank you for trying to reassure me though, i'll just need to hang tight and hope these people call me back.
Hi there.

My last passport ran out in April of this year and as I'm not going away until July next year, I'm in no great hurry to renew it.
The question I have is, that when applying for a new passport can I use the "normal" application form as when renewals are mentioned, it only mentions valid passports.

It's the wording of "fully valid" that's worrying me.I'm also wanting to add a new pic as my old one is about two stone lighter and I now have a beard! I haven't changed significantly, so I should get away without a counter signatory tho' it might be advisable to have it done anyway.
Any info would be most appreciated.

David
  • Edited by David 2009-08-16 17:33:28
    Post edited for copyright reasons
Hi Dave .. I'm not sure where that quote was reproduced from, but just to be safe, I have edited it in case it was copyright protected.

However, to answer your question, there is just one standard form which is used for all applications and renewals. For more info, please click here,

A counter signatory is not necessary for renewals, but may be adviseable if your appearance had changed significantly, other than routine 'wear and tear'.

My applegees for being the bearer of expensive news, but,

From the Telegraph.

Post edited for copyright reasons. However, details of the passport fee increase can be found in THIS post from a few weeks ago ... David HT Mod

(More for Broons Pension fund)
:( :(
takayanagi wrote:
Do you really think that they will get it to me by first thing wednesday now? ....... I need to check in to my flight by midday on wednesday
I wonder if it came? I hope this member lets us know! :-?
Thats strange, I was just wondering the same thing! Please let us know if you got it Takayanagi!
My son has 4months left on his 10year passport. He was told by I think ryanair, that isn't a problem as he is going to majorca. The passport runs out end of december. Panicing mum needs reassurance please!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.