General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Stansted used to have big bins of bags and people just helped themselves. As I always took several I've still got quite a few so haven't noticed if they still have them.
My mum was able to pass through security (at LGW and BCN) with her liquids in a zipped, fairly thick, bag she bought, already containing travel-size liquid bottles. Now I know this can be done I'll be buying something similar as it was bigger than the food bags I usually use and MUCH stronger. The label on the product stated it was fit for the purpose of taking liquids through airport security.
They have them on offer at Wilkinsons at the moment with 3x100ml coloured bottles.
I always use a stronger one than the food bags and have never had any problems.
Anyone know what the rule is at Birmingham airport?
Do they give free bags or do they charge the earth.
Also can you take small ( and I mean small)bottles of water in them?
Don't know whether BHX bags are free or not , liquids have to 100mls max , you can't have 100mls of water in a 500ml bottle , ie only 20% full , I'm not sure any retailers sell bottles of water that are 100mls max ??
The only way to take water through is in a babies bottle (or more if a long flight) - of course you actually have to have a baby travelling with you!
You are allowed to take empty bottles through Security so we take our Ohyo's (http://ohyo.me/) with us and fill them up on the other side. Some airports only have mixer taps in their toilets but you can usually find a proper cold tap in the disabled toilets. Some of the bars will let you have tap water as well.
A couple of months ago at Manchester, my hubby was told his liquids bag didn't conform. The security guy gave him a bag (free of charge, although Manchester do charge) and made him transfer the stuff, and threw the other bag away. This is the same size, make, and type of bag we've used since the liquids rule started. Hubby flies from Manchester most weeks on business and has never had a problem before, or since.

He also had a pair of nail clippers confiscated at Blackpool, although they've been all around the world in his hand luggage with no problems. They'd just come back from Germany the day before lol.

So from that I would say, it makes no difference what someone else has been able to do, it doesn't mean that you will be able to do it. It's a bit like weighing hand luggage at check in. It's down to the particular agent you get on the day.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.