General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
The airport will have them just before the security scanners, I have heard that some airports charge for them? not sure if this is correct as I know neither, Prestwick, Glasgow or Edinburgh airports charge and you just pick them up.
Not trying to be pedantic here Glynis , but its not Ryanair's rule , the 20cm x 20cm or 8x8 inches bag size applies for all airlines , it's a DfT rule .

There are ideal bags , from Amazon , if you use them , and I've heard that Wilko and pound shops sell the right size bags .

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plastic-Resealable-Grip-Seal-Bags/dp/B004QNT0I0/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1400097457&sr=8-7&keywords=resealable+plastic+bags+20cm+x+20cm

I know that they are freely available at Gatwick and Heathrow , and they use the resealable grip types ones because they hold the vapour in when doing their liquid testing better than the zip lock bags .
There is nothing wrong with using the correct size zip lock bags but security will probably transfer the contents into a grip type bag if they have a "vapour sniffing " test to do on your liquids bag .
I just use the freezer bags with the seal top.100 for around a pound! :tup
Thanks everyone :tup

I'd never have thought that buying a plastic bag would be so much hassle :duh

:rofl

Andy, should I just look for a grip one preferably?
Hi Glynis , you can use either , but in the event of your liquid bag being randomly selected for testing at certain airports they will probably transfer it into a grip type lock bag as this produces more reliable results for testing .

I have a handful at home but have found the same one I'm using to be still ok , I have used the zip lock bags previously for putting chargers in our hold luggage but I tend to find the plastic lock bit always comes off the runners !! Like any plastic reusable item it will wear out eventually due to wear and tear .

As Kiltman says most major airports seem to have free bags , but I've heard some do charge , like 3 for £1 or 2 for 50p .
Glynis you are fretting over nothing or would you say 'nowt' :D

Mrs I know what you are like, so don't get your knickers in a twist and just get them at the airport, that's the simplest way, they will be before the security scanners.

Now start looking forward to this holiday and stop panicking over a plastic bag ;)
Thanks Andy :tup

Graham, you know me so well ;)

(I say both - nothing and nowt :rofl )
Our came from Matalan - not sure if they still do them or not though
I got some today from Tesco so my flapping is now over :rofl I diddled myself though as they are 18 x 18 cm :(
Not sure if they have relaxed the rules regarding liquids but I had a 330cl bottle of water in my hand luggage that I had forgot coming from Alicante last month and it went through security. :que
The same happened at Sharm and Dalaman airport last year and Rhodes the year before.
" Yeah but it's water ...it's not a liquid ...it's water ain't it " :duh so half the Brits say at UK airports on their way out :rofl

Seriously I'm surprised at Alicante , the Spanish seem switched on at security , and Sharm , well I'm not surprised , I'll leave it at that ;)

Just to clarify though , the rules have not been relaxed , but hopefully your arm now feels more relaxed Jaytrip

Jay Trip wrote:
but I had a 330cl bottle of water in my hand luggage .

That's 3.3 litres in my estimation :D I'm sure you actually mean 330ml , either you have a big bag or Sharm security really is that bad :think
Just imagine trying to explain the rule in fluid ounces ;) :duh :duh :duh
I think its obvious I didnt have 3 litres but strange that they didnt see the bottle.
I said in a light hearted way. Thus the :D :D

They probably " saw " the bottle but couldn't be bothered :que Or perhaps it was a mistake ????
Well, as someone who was allowed into a high security prison with a knife in my handbag that I wouldn't be allowed to take on a plane in my hand luggage at the time but did have my mobile phone taken off me and kept until I left, nothing really surprises me anymore about the application of security measures or the ability of security staff to actually tell properly what is in our bags when they are X-rating them! If I had remembered the knife was there I wouldn't have taken it in with me. I only realised on the way out that I had just spent 3 hrs in there with it in my bag!

SM
Last year, I took a clear toiletry bag (with a proper zip) and got pulled for that reason, it was within the size restrictions but not airtight, so I'm going for the freezer bag this year.

I also took my insulated mug for on the plane so I could keep my coffee hot and they weren't pleased over that either, even did a drug test on it!
From experience, no matter what plastic bag i use, i always get told at Manchester Airport to switch to an official bag, which are sold at 2 for £1. Never have the same issue at any other airport. A easy money making scheme.

I remember when the plastic bag rule was brought in and at the beginni9ng of the security line, you were given a free bag to make sure yuor toiletries were in the right kind of bag.
Plastic bags were free at Manchester T2 when we flew from there in May :que
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.