Caribbean - Cuba Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Cuba
Presume you mean at the Hotel - then certainly there is, they use them in the cocktails all the time so always easy to get an orange juice or pinapple juice and of course the usual coke etc. Also in the restaurants there is fresh orange available from a machine all the time.

We flew from Manchester and had to stop off at Valderaro, where you have to wait in the transfer lounge for around an hour or so, this enables the homewardbound people to get on the plane, you then board for your onward journey to your resort plane flies to Holguin which takes about an hour or so which made the journey very long going, however on the return to Manchester we flew direct and with a good wind behind us only took just over 8 hours, think the total journey, with the stop at V took about 10-1/2 approx.
we were really lucky though on the journey out as we got offered and upgrade for no extra cost and got the extra legroom and free drinks etc etc which helped with the long journey.

Hope you have a fantastic time.............
Heather
footballswampie, you will have to let me know what the wedding is like.

I was unable to book my wedding here as planned yesterday as now first choice tropical 07 winter brochure is not going on sale until mid october, I was told 31st august so I dragged hub-to-be, nice and early yesterday morning to the travel agents only to be told we had had a wasted trip, its all entered into the computer that we wish to travel 29th november 2007 to PP just have to wait until the sales go online for us to book. Very dissapointed today. :(
Can anyone tell me if the Playa Pesquero hotel has a book library as I am going for 3 weeks and tend to find a nice quiet spot on the golden sands to get my head in a good book. With only 20kg luggage limit, weight is an issue to my husband on how many I can take.
Hi Lyng,

we were at the playa pesquero in august , and there is a little library by the beach in the towel hut.

i think that these were books and magazines left by holiday makers, there seemed to be a fair selection of books there around 50 - 60 i would say.

as for the rest of the place "AMAZING" you are in for a real treat
we thouroghly enjoyed our time there and would not hesitate to go back.

if you would like any other info re hotel complex or cuba get back to me.

enjoy.

l :wave

regards,

Eifion.
Cheers Eifion
We are not going till 14th December so spending Christmas & New Year there and am already getting excited after reading all the posts about the complex.
Can you recommend any trips and what the costs are like to give us an idea of how much spending money to take.
Hi Lyng,

we did the havvanna overnight trip which was around £220.00 each, but well worth it.

you get to do a walking tour of historic points of interest around the capital old & new part, with the highlight being an evening at the club Troppicana.-fantastic experience.

we also did a day trip to discover holguin, around £50.00 each o.k. and gave you an insight to the real backstreet cuba.

there was another day excursion which we did not do but wish we had a jeep safari but we did not read about it until to late.

a few other tips for you to maximise your enjoyment, we took various items of unwanted clothing with us and the maids, gardners, bar/ restaurant staff were overjoyed to receive them particularly childrens items. also things such as toiletries, make up, razors, these are considered luxuries that they can i'll afford. we discovered a bar man that had aqquired a gillette mach 3 turbo razor as agift and asked me how he could obtain replacement blades, the joy on his face and his grattitude when i gave him a pack of blades will stAy with us for a long time.

even paracetamol tablets are welcomed.

as far as tipping the maids, bar/ restaurant staff we gave some 1/2/3/ pesos and the occassional 5 1 peso equivelant to @0.60pence.

the other joy is when you take the cans of beer/ coke/ juice from your room minibar (which is re-plenished daily) and share it amongst the gardners and beach gaurds.

the food at the p.p. is out of this world with a choice of a buffet restaurant serving everything imaginable to a superb choice of 8 a la carte hostilieries serving top notch quisine and even topper notch wine.

you can eat at 4 every week, however we had a particular favourite the romanticco where a 10 pesso note to the retaurant manager saw us eat there most nights!

got to leave it there for now as i'm depressing myself only thinking about not being there!

:wave
Eifion.
Most of the books down by the beach in June appeared to be in a foreign language. If you go First Choice, Jackie Excellent has a collection of books left by FC tourists, but she may have moved on by Christmas. There are also some books at the club house where the large Chess set and table tennis is. Depending on how the airport fiasco goes, you can always buy books in WH Smiths after the luggage is weighed.
Hi there everyone

Our friends are getting married in PP in August 07 and we have been invited but are a bit worried about taking our baby who will be 13 months when we travel.

Do you think he will be ok over in Cuba ??

Appreciate any responce

Hi Cl4aire

We were there in July and there were quite a few wee ones in prams and none of them seemed too bothered with the heat or mozzies. There is a kids club but I am not sure that age the children they have are. The Cubans are lovely people and go out of their way to be helpful so I am sure you would have no problems. The flight is between 8 and a half and 9 hours so if you are flying First Choice you will have no problems with the seats as they are enormous. There is plenty of fruit and good food available and none of us suffered tummy upsets. I am sure I read somewhere before that there is nowhere to buy nappies, etc so you would have to take everything with you, and having been there I know this is the case so be prepared. That said, the people, swimming pool and facilities will more than make up for this minor inconvenience!

Have a great time. We have booked to go back and will be there on 1st July 07 - roll on.

Lou :lol:
Hi Lou

Thanks for the reply.

The hotel does seem really nice and I have read nothing but great reviews as well.

I think i'm just a bit nervous as it will probably be the first time we have taken him away.

Enjoy you hol :lol:

Cl4ire
If you ask Guest relations they will arrange for a pint of milk to be put in your room fridge every day by the minibar man. Our lad was a little older, but yes make sure you have enough nappies and spread them about in case a case goes missing. We also got a one piece sun/swimming suit which covered everything between elbows and knees, and we also took a big supply of swimmers. You have to be careful though as some of the suncreams and insect repellants are not suitable for young ones.
Hi Cl4ire

You will be fine with your little one. I have not taken mine to Cuba but they have been to Mexico, Dominican Republic, Margarita and Egypt. We always use the UV swimsuits on them and plaster them in the the Pizz Buin and Boots once a day stuff. And they go home whiter than what they came out!

Mine our now 6 and 2, but when they were babies I would take some Boots organic juice powder for babies so that I could make some squash for them so they wouldn't get dehydrated or drink too much sugary coke and pop that most all inclusives seam to have. Now they are older they take there own cups from home and help themselves to juice as and when they want which seams to help them drink more.

I also took a small inflatable boat with me which I would fill up with water for my little on to play in under the shade. Can spend hours filling the plastic drinks cups up with water and emptying them again.

As for the plane you should be fine. Take plenty to keep him occupied. We have thomas the tank engine on the PSP for him to watch (but i guess you can't take these into cuba can you). i also got the mini thomas the tank aqua draw which kept him occupied and he would love walking down the ailse.

I am thinking of going to PP either over Christmas, or Easter or May half term.

Have a good trip
Thanks for the reply nicolaw

We have booked the holiday now and are going on 26th Aug.

You mentioned that you wouldn't be able to take your PSP to Cuba, is there a restriction on taking items into Cuba ??

Sorry for the silly question but travel agent hasn't advised of any issues.

Thanks

Cl4ire
You can read all about the restrictions on these items HERE :wink:

Pippy :D
Hi

Will post again if we decide to go over Christmas and then let you know how we get on.

Thanks for the link about Psps, looks like we can take them so am happier about travelling there now.

Cheers

Nicky
Hiya Claire

I went to Playa Pesquero in August...Had a wonderful time!! and my son and many others took their PSPs...only annoying thing was the battery ran out on the flight going!!!
i Guys,

for those who have stopped here, are you able to email them and request a specific room or contact them for some extras like champaign in the room on arrival? I begrudge doing this through the travel company as they elevate the price a lot.

Is there a website and/or email address for this place as well?

Thanks

Lee
In case you haven't seen them we have reviews HERE :wink:

Pippy :D
Just wondering on other peoples experiences of booking the A La Carte's here.

Reading on Trip Advisor about people who have just come back having a lot of problems booking the a la cartes. Two things being not getting a table until 10pm or on occasion not being able to get into their chosen restaurent on any occasion during their trip.

Does anyone have any first hand experince of this? I'm going in May so not sure if it will be quite so busy then as it will be approaching Hurricane season.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.