Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
charliegirl007,

Baggage is quite strict. If they can charge you extra to put it in the hold, Ryanair will!! As long as your bag looks the right size, and you can squash it in the measuring basket if requested, you'll be ok. The size limits are there because of the limited storage space on the aircraft. You'll be ok with a small wrap round bag for my cash/passports etc as well; you can always put it in a pocket if needed!

Darren
We flew with them from Bristol in October and saw many people being sent back to the check in desks with their hand luggage. They are very strict.
Hi, I'm considering booking my summer and winter flights with Ryanair but feel a little unsure about what to do with the economic crisis at the moment.
If Ryanair should go bust would I get my money back, and are they likely to go bust? Someone told me if they're ATOL protected then you'd be ok, but to be honest I don't know whether they are and what this means if they are!

Up until the last 2 years I've always done package holidays, with firms like Thomson and first choice, so I've never had to concern myself with these things. However the last 2 Xmases I have done independent booking and have already booked accomadation for Summer and Xmas this year, I just need to sort flights.

What do you think?
Thanks in advance. :cheers
i think there is little chance of ryanair going bust. they have a firm financial plan and take decisions quickly on fares and will close down routes that do not make money.
i would ensure you pay by credit card to get proection from them if you are paying more than £100 for your flights.
its also worth looking at the travel insurance topics as there are some insurers who will cover you if your airline goes belly up.
I agree with Jimd

I would have no hestitation making a booking with ryanair but as suggested do make sure you use a credit card to make any booking .

lyn
Just remember paying by credit card for Ryan Air could be more expensive than the flights themselves - its a balancing act!

Nivsy
Thanks guys, incidently how much do they charge for paying by credit card
its £8 per person but free with an electron card
That's not too bad considering how much less the flights are. Is it possible to book upto 20kg of luggage per person?
lisaeugene,

You can check-in up to 3 bags with a combined weight of 15kg. For pricing details, refer to Ryanairs website.

Darren
.......and don't forget that if you decide not to check in on line - they will take a good few more pounds/euros off you for checking in at the counter.....

who says flying is not confusing and tiring...... :tongue

Nivsy
What?????????????? They actually charge for checking in? Can the baggage limit not be upped?
if you have hand baggage only and check in on line and use an electron caRD YOU CAN GET FANTASTIC DEALS, HOWEVERyou pay for everything else. A good tip is if a party of you want to take a case between you, just one person book seperate with luggage and airport checkin. the others book on line with hand luggage only. I suppose this only works for short breaks. 3 of us next week are going manchester/ barcelona for £21 return each. I call that a bargain!
You mean Barcelona - Reus...not quite Barcelona Charlegirl but a good price nevertheless ;)

Nivsy
I meaN barcelona Gerona actually, but worth the 1 hour coach trip to Barcelona
I have previously been supportive of Ryanair, but I am getting frustrated now. We are a family of 4 2 adults 1 4 year old and 1 baby. The cost of flights alone from Birmingham to Reus is £218 which is extremely reasonable, however the extras are now quite ridiculous, £90 return for 3 suitcases and £30 for paying with a Switch/Maestro card etc etc. So the total bill comes to £401. The charge for the card is so disproportionate its a disgrace, the debit card fees they are getting charged are less that 1% i.e. £4 but I have to pay a £26 premium. The proclaim to be the cheapest, but if you have bags, EasyJet are now cheaper
And of course if you pay by Debit card, you are not covered for getting your money back if something goes wrong with your Ryanair flight (eg cancellation), assuming that the total is over £100 which is now quite usual with Ryanair ...............
I've gone off the idea now, well be going for three weeks so we'll need at least 20kg each. Why can't they just make it simple instead of having all the hidden charges! I'll just book with thomas Cooke who are guaranteeing you won't loose money if anything goes wrong.
Just booked return flights to Billund for April for 0.00p each, which cost me a total of £56.40. That was with hand baggage only and on-line check in. :yikes What really infuriates me is the £10 you pay for using a card (£5 e/w). as there is no means of paying any other way unless you happen to have an electron card. Incidentally, I see that you can now check in on line up to 14 days before travel, so would I be able to check in for the return flight at the same time? I've had a look at the site and it only asks for details of the outward flight.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.