Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
See no reason why you can't. You could be coming home then flying out with another airline and back again with Ryanair.
There really is no point in worrying about being selfish with Ryanair. If ever an airline epitomised the world selfish it is Ryanair. If you can afford the cost of losing a flight then go ahead and book
Just a reminder that Ryanair is a point-to-point airline.

This means that they offer single tickets between point A and point B. They do not accept the concept of a connecting flight either with them or another airline.

When you buy a 'return' ticket, you are ineffect buying two singles.

It is a very good use of point-to-point carriers to use one for the journey you need to somewhere and then you can use another to return to your point of origin without any penalties or other constraints.
Ryanair maybe a point to point airline. Yes the seat price maybe cheaper but the majority of people cannot get that seat price. The booking fee charge is a complete rip-off there is no way they or anyone else can justify it. If you are booking 1 flight for 1 person or 2 flights for 4 people the payment transaction fees are never between 8 % and 10 %.

They want to charge me £30 on a booking with all in of £373. There is not credit or debit card company in the country that charges more than 3%, and as I would be paying with a debit card (maestro) it should be about 1% i.e. £4

I do not know how they can justify a per person transaction fee, I cannot think of any other business than airlines that get away with this. Can you imagine going to the cinema and paying a fee for every ticket you bought.

Rant over - just very frustrated, tickets to BCN are over £170 cheaper with BMI baby, (rather than Ryanair to Reus) but the transfers are loads more expensive because BCN is a proper airport and a few miles further up the road
son of homer,
ryanairs flights can be bought for the advertised prices -you just need an electron card and hand luggage. if you don't have both then it costs you more.
if bmibaby is that much cheaper then i would look to book flights with them and look at other options for transfer.
have a look here for some further information.
finally, in this day and age, if i was spending £100 on anything i would be looking to pay by credit card -not debit card- for the extra protection it gives.
Son of Homer
I agree with jind-f, you should really look at the TOTAL cost of your flights/transfers and book accordingly.
About 25% of people who book with RyanAir pay with a visa electron card (thus avoiding charges), which means Ryanair makes a substantial amount from the debit/credit card charges from the remaining 75%.
It wouldn't surprise me if, should many more people start to pay by electron, that Ryanair starts to charge for that too.

I do not know how they can justify a per person transaction fee

I don't think they HAVE to justify it.
It's a stated charge, it's up to the individual to choose whether to pay it or to book with, possibly, more expensive airlines who make their profit in a less obvious way.
I'm sure that Ryanair's business model takes card charges into account. If they are not making profit there, they will do so in other ways, such as increased flight prices, taxes, charges for check-in/checked luggage etc etc.
  • Edited by David 2009-01-21 10:49:47
    Post edited for copyright reasons, as material from Ryanair website may not be reproduced.
Ok, I have been doing some research and I am going to get either an Electron Card from the Co-op or there is a company called Entropay which offer virtual cards. There are still fees for Entropay but they are much much lower.

After doing some research it appears that individual businesses negotiate their own fees for each card transaction. It turns out that they average between 0.16p and 0.18p per transaction depending on card type. My point is that they have obviously chosen Electron as it is a pain to get hold of and not many people use it. That way they can still advertise 0.01p flights etc. knowing that approx 80% of their customers do not have the cards and will have to pay the fees.

If you book 2 return flights for 0.02p inc taxes (which is possible) and then take hand luggage but still pay £5 each way CC or DC fees that totals £10.02. Which may be cheap, but the CC/DC fee is a 50000% premium on the cost of the product you are purchasing. Which is why I think they need to justify it.
My previous post has been locked by the mods so I can't edit it, but although I said this:

It wouldn't surprise me if, should many more people start to pay by electron, that Ryanair starts to charge for that too.

there is actually more than my 'instinct' to my statement above.

Check out their website on the 'Home' page under 'My Flight' then 'RyanAir Fees' for their statement on payment by Visa Electron.
Hi there, I have just done return flight from Manchester to Gerona for £21 (with card charge) and the return transfer to Barcelona was 22 euro. So about £40 for return to Barcelona. The hand luggage only was more than adequate and the online check in made it so easy. I think I got a bargain
Interestingly Ryanair have reduced the price of all their add-on fees today and it also appears that some of the non-optional taxes and fees have been reduced as well.

I cannot find a statement on their website about it though, anyone got any further information on why the prices have been reduced from any other source ?

As for the fee for paying by electron its an interesting point, but if they introduce a charge for that they cannot then advertise free flights so they would have trouble with their current business direction of making flights free and only paying for the extras you need.
They'd probably find another card that most people don't have and make THAT one free.

I don't know the reason for the reduction in their other fees, though.
Son of Homer - They must have made the reductions this afternoon. I had an e mail this morning advertising new routes from Bristol. I had a look and found a flight to Budapest for £4.99. By the time the taxes etc were added it was just short of £65. Why don't they just say upfront what the total charge is, instead of letting you plough through and then realise the actual cost. It really annoys me.
Helen, I suppose they would argue that different people need different services eg luggage, insurance, methods of payment! Mind you they could weasel their way out of anything that lot!!!

Son of Homer, I think they state which plastic payment methods they accept and the virtual Europay that you mention is not on their list as far as I remember, so even if it is a valid and easy way to pay, they may not accept it .. especially if it doesn't net them any income!!
Alsacienne
I agree that there are 'extras' that some people want and others don't - such as checked luggage, priority boarding, personal (as opposed to on-line) check-in - but I think that any charge that is applicable to EVERY passenger (such as airport taxes) should be shown in the 'basic' price.

In fact, I thought that airlines had been forced to do just that some time ago - or maybe I'm confused. :think
Prettypollycat - that's what I meant. All compulsory charges for every customer should be shown up front. Optional extras are different.
Son of Homer, I think they state which plastic payment methods they accept and the virtual Europay that you mention is not on their list as far as I remember, so even if it is a valid and easy way to pay, they may not accept it .. especially if it doesn't net them any income!!

I used Entropay for 8 X £1 flights recently, just selected Visa Electron from the drop down list, which the card is recognised as and hey presto flights £8:00 taxes and fees £0:00.

For some reason RA took 9:36 Euros from the account which worked out at £8:65 and Entropay charge 4:95%, which equates to 50p for the tenner minimum deposit, so total fees of £1:15 instead of £40 if I had used my Maestro card directly with Ryanair.
Great News, that Entropay actually works on RA as an Electron card.
I'm delighted to hear your good news about paying with this facility! Well done for persevering inspite of my (now outdated) comments! :D
A poster on another forum I used, posted this link regarding hand luggage allowances being ignored....

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/ryanair-to-fine-own-passengers-over-bags-1608821.html

Lousie
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.