Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
steve8482,
all very well and good to make a flipant comment like that, but you have to look at the total price you pay for your trip.
i have used ryanair for the last 3 years, as they go to the destination i want to go to, and my flights, excluding luggage but including priority boarding are usually in the £20-40 range.
if i use a "proper" airline (BA) that lets you take "free" luggage the price i would have to pay is considerably more, usually in 3 figures.
each to there own, but if price is the issue ryanair can still work out cheaper with luggage than a legacy carrier.
I don't consider it flippant.

If Ryanair employed someone honest who said "we're charging these fees to make money because that's what commercial companies do" I'd have no complaint. Or if they said they don't want luggage because they can get more hours out of the planes if they don't have to mess with it it would also be true.

So why all the nonsense about their aim to "incentivise" their passengers (is there really such a word?) and the fees being avoidable?

Just to be clear, it's not the fee I'm complaining about - it's the words used by the PR person to explain it.
steve8482 wrote:

So why all the nonsense about their aim to "incentivise" their passengers (is there really such a word?) and the fees being avoidable?

it's called "b*ll*xology, a word actually used by ryanair, (obviously to describe what they talk) this is a case of , you've got a cheap flight and now you want to put a bag in the hold because you're staying for a week and too many of you are doing the same and this is going to inconvenience us and put our schedules behind, and because we know you're price sensitive, we'll whop up the price 25% and suggest you can make do with 10kg hand luggage, after all , you only need a pair of jeans and a check shirt.
We are due to fly out to Spain on Saturday but preparing for the worst given the current 'ash' problem.

If our flight is cancelled Ryanair give you the option to get a refund or rebook on another flight that has availability.

Does anyone know, if you go for the rebooking option, if you then have to pay the difference in the costs from what you had booked and the revised booking ?

Has anybody rebooked due to weather related problems cancelling their original flight(s) - any issues or problems with doing this ?

Thanks Chris
TFS1,

You shouldn't have to pay anything for rebooking on to the next available flight when it's due to a cancellation.

Darren
Due to the current airspace closures resulting from volcanic ash, Ryanair has now cancelled all scheduled flights to/from the UK, Ireland, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, Belgium, Holland, Northern France, Northern Germany, Poland and the Baltic States until 1300hrs on Monday 19 April.

David :wave
Rebooked on Friday evening, when our Saturday flight was cancelled, all done at no cost either to do it or due to flights increasing in price since we originally booked.

Current one way flight on Tuesday is now nearly £900 for the 4 of us travelling to sunny spain (hopefully!)

Chris
According to the Ryanair website updated at noon today, they intend to resume operating all their flights in Northern Europe (except flights between Ireland and the UK) from 05.00hrs Thurs 22nd April. All flights between Ireland and the UK (including domestic routes) will resume normal schedules again from 05.00hrs on Fri 23rd April.
How critical are the hand luggage measurements with Ryanair - I know the website states that the hand luggage carried on board should be no more than 55x40x20. My bag is within the length and width sizes but is 23cm deep -will this be allowed?
We had hand luggage that was about 1/2' too long and didn't quite fit the Stansted security case measuring 'cage' as we went through Security. They, Stansted security that is and not Ryanair. made us check it in as hold luggage.

The extra length in our case was the wheels which were part exposed (for wheeling !) and the other part in the body of the case.

The case checked out ok at the Ryanair desk as you drop the case into the measuring 'cage' but we later discovered that the wheels passed the lower framework. At Stansted security you lower cases in holding handle on the side. This showed it to be around 1/2 too long.

In your case maybe its a close call - are the sides of the cases flexible so it could squeeze into the Ryanair measuring cage ?

In my experience Ryanair staff at the gate only tend to only stop those that clearly are abusing the system. I think the penalty fee for excess sized baggage at the gate is around £35.

Chris
My bag is within the length and width sizes but is 23cm deep -will this be allowed?

I wouldn't chance it unless it is squishy and it won't be full so it stands a chance of you being able to squash it in. It also depends a lot on which airport it is. I haven't used Ryanair for some years because of their abominable attitude towards passengers with disabilities (and in particular the way they treated my Mum!) but at Liverpool the check-in staff ofr ryanair flights were very strict. I used to wonder whether they actually got commission on the basis of how many passengers they could charge extra to for checked-in baggage etc! And remember, as TFS1 says, any wheels and handles etc have to fit within the limits - if the actual case is the exact measurement but the wheels, handles and straps etc extend beyond it then officially it's too big.

SM
Thanks for your responses, we are flying from Stansted. I will remeasure the length and width, but if they are definately within size I think I may chance the depth as we will not have the case packed solid so hopefully there should be room for some 'squishing'!
I would still check just how 'squishable' it is! 3cms is more than an inch too big and even soft cases tend to have fairly rigid side panels to help them keep their shape. :)

SM
Sorry to be negative, but Ryanair are sticklers for handbaggage weights and sizes, and can even get you to confirm the sizing meets their rules before you board the plane by having a metal cage at the gate. Don't risk it, or have £30 ready in your pocket to hand over for it to go in the hold even at the gate!
I would say that you won't get away with 23cm.....
Just measured my wifes usual hand luggage bag and that is 21.5cm but has a 'slight squish' to get a tight fit in the cage.

Given the number of times I use Ryanair, I invested in a 19" Sub Zero G Trolley Case which were £25 at TG Hughes. Perfect fit in the cage and wieghs less than 2.0kg

John.
Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate them, I think that you are all right and that it would be best not to risk the 'squish' factor! Although you may feel you all answered negatively your response has been positive in helping me to decide.
Does anyone know any phone numbers for Ryan air. I,ve tried the ones on the website and can't get through to anybody. My sons flight has been cancelled due to the Ash clouud. Ihave transferred it till tomorrow but he is telling me they are being advised in there hotel to go to the airport anyway. The only thing is he has not much money left and i don't want him having to spend 30 euro to the airport and back again if it is ill advised information. He is supposed to fly from Palma to East midlands later today
Thanks

Maxine
I'm afraid not being able to talk to anyone is one of the perils of most low cost airlines (and many high cost one at the moment).

they are being advised
by who? Ryanair's own advice is very clear on their website, do not go to the airport if your flight is shown as cancelled on the their list. If you have already transferred him then there's no point in going out.
Just reps in the hotel. I have told him not to bother,but being young he thinks the reps know best.

I was stranded myself in Tenerife with Easy Jet, and saw first hand people trekking to the airport to no avail.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.