Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hi All
Go on Sunday so will confirm the AI extended hours, four more work get up's to go.
Happy Hols
Pete & Ann
:glynis :yipee
I read on here somewhere this morning that sonesta have unpgraded their website and that it gives times and different things about the AI I can't find it on there and I can't remember who said it, can anyone help.

Ola
Only 18 days to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
424 hours Ola

Though I think 18 days sound better :ghug
I know It is getting well exciting

Ola
Hi All
Got back from the Sonesta on Monday night, wish we were still there, I have to say it's lovely, the rooms are spacious and as it's only half full you get a sea view room. All the staff are great, but the AI drinks are back to 11:00pm,although up until Thursday we were being served until midnight so we can't complain, but they don't seem to bother how many drinks you have on the table at any one time so just get a couple extra. If you like the wine just go back into the buffet and get a glass and take it into the other bar again no one tried to stop us as most were doing this.

We never tried to A L Carte cos were were only there for a week, had we been there for two we would have used them more often. The food was okay and improved as the week went on as the management constantly patrolled the buffet restaurant.The beach is great but it was very windy all week so the snorkeling was a bit naff unless you went out quite a way.

We flew with Astreaus and we were dreading it but what a change and what a cracking flight loads of leg room as they use a 757 and have took 40 seats OUT along with duty free and plenty of opportunities for a drink much improved from last time.

Prices of trips are as follows
Cairo over day $130
Cairo over night stay $225 including visa
Over day Jerusalem $150
St catherines monastery $70
Safari coloured canyon & Dahab $65
Coloured canyon quad bike 1hr $50 2hrs $75
Petra everyday by boat to Aqaba $180 (brilliant)
Various snorkeling ranging from $30 - $55 dependant on time
There are reduced prices for children so if anyone wants more specific info on trips I have it.
we tried to walk it to Swisscentre but give up after an hour, we found out it was about a two hour walk sorry Swiss maybe next time.

We went down to the Hilton on sat night to see Martin and as always the staff were great and wanted to know why we were not staying there, so we made the decision then to go back next year for two weeks it still has that magic. Hope i have not rambled on too much but I can assure you that you will have a fantastic holiday at the Sonesta.
Wish we were there
Happy holidays
Pete & Ann
:wave :sun :gluck
Thanks Pete

I can't wait only got 2 weeks to go until we are on our way there.

Ola
Thats great Pete and Ann glad you had a good time soz for delay had probs getting on the site 4 weeks 6 days till we go :pele :pele
Hi Pete and Ann i wonder if you wouldn't mind if i ask you a couple of questions, i emailed the hotel asking if there was a kettle in the room as we like a brew before we go out for breakfast, the answer i got back was there is 24hour room service this is very good but room service is an extra charge so we wont be doing that i presume this means there isnt a kettle would you advice taking a travel one? also i asked about the scuba diving my hubi is a diver i asked is there a club on site and havent had a reply i wonder if you could answer. many thanks

Louise :P :P
Hi Louise.
Yes it would be best to take a travel kettle for the room, and if you like tea or coffee take some of your own as I didn't care much for theirs, and yes there is a dive centre at the hotel. there is a reef about 100yds from shore and to get there is quite shallow for a fair way, make sure you have some shoes to wear when you go into the sea as there is a lot of coral,although they have cleared a bit of a path, there are also pedalos (free), a banana boat and a speed boat for hire. Anymore questions feel free to ask.
Have a great time
Pete

:glynis :sun
ahh thanks for that pete yes ive bought us all the shoes my hubi will be pleased about the diving, i will take you up on your offer over the next few weeks before we go ttfn Louise :P :P :P 27 days to go :fly
Well I have just come back from the Sonesta and we loved it Steve the kids and I didn't want to come home.

the staff there will do anything for you and as someone said before if you have any problems and the rep is not there. go and see katy, she is an english girl who works for the hotel.

It is in the middle of no where but we knew that before we went but it doesn't stop you doing things and there are quite alot of excursions you can do.

All in all we loved it there and would go back tomorrow.

anyone need any info and I will be pleased to help.

Ola
Hi ola so pleased you enjoyed your stay your always a bit woried when your trying somewhere new, how did the kids cope with the heat im taking uv swimwear for them and 50+ suncream, also we too are going on the 13.40 from gatwick what time did you actually get to the hotel (egypt time) do you know what type of plane it was and was there any provision for getting something to eat at that time at the hotel thanks in advance Louise 19 days to go :fly :pele
Hi Louise

We put factor 50+ on ours for the first few days but they are teenagers and we always took them in at mid day as they say you shouldn't be out in the midday sun as it does get very hot. you will just have to see how they get on, but I can't stress enough that you must make sure they drink plenty of water.

We got to the hotel about 11pm and on arrival they are there with nice cold fresh orange or mango juice which was nice and if you are travelling with first choice when you get throught and have collected your bags they have water waiting for you for on the coach. Don't worry about getting something to eat as they put food on for you when you arrive, even though it is late at night.

If you are going with first choice AI they have still extended there AI until midnight. Also if the kids want a snack like burger and chips you can get this from the bistro bar for 30 egyptian pounds but you get a 30 egyptian pound discount if you are AI so it costs nothing you just have to sign for it. This discount also counts in the 3 a la carte restaurants and it is 30 LE per person, so if there are 4 of you and you all want burger it still costs nothing.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The palne was a boeing 757 and they have movies on you just have to buy the headphones @ £2.50 a set but then you have got them for on the way home.

Hope that helps

Ola
Hi Louise.
Just back from Sonesta as well. Had a wonderful time.
We arrived at the Hotel at about 11pm the hotel had kept the restaurant open for a meal for us. And the all inclusive is till midnight.
I don't know how old your kiddies are. But if they can cope with heat the Uk is having at the monemt they will cope with Eygpt. It is very very hot but not muggy and sticky. And they have pools and the sea to jump in to cool down!!!!!! Use High factors or sun block if they are very little and lots of children wore tshirts in the water There are plenty of umbrellas and your room and indoor bars and eating areas are Air conditioned.
Ps if your kids want to go snorkling or like the sea more then the pool. Try and buy or borrow sea shoes and snorkling stuff in UK. as the Hotel Shop is very very expensive And underwater camara £20 Sea shoes £9 etc. Some familys of 4 we spoke to were paying a hundred pounds for shoes and mask so they could see "Nemo"
A few boxs of pringles would be a good idea if they like snacks. Hope you have a great time. I will try and answer any more Questions if you have them.
Hi Ola
You must of posted your reply as I was writing mine. Hope you had a safe journey home. And not to depressed to be back at work. The boys are not expecting you to cook three meals a day are they!!!!
Karen
oh thats great thanks both of you, yes my children are coping with the uk weather without a pool (unfortunately :P ) so should be ok, ive got 50+ cream and 50+ uv t shirts for them, a beach tent and iv got the sea shoes for us really exited now picked tickets up this morn, theyv go snorkels of ther own so ok ther aswell i think im pretty organised, cant wait to get there AI at home in the school hols is costing us a fortune :P :P :roll: just one question iv thought of im taking suncream but might need an xtra bottle towards the end will i be able to get that there and are the famous yellow tablets there for egyptian belly :P :P
regards Louise
You can Suncream in the hotel shop but I would imagine it would be silly prices. I noticed tescos had suncream half prices so maybe stick a spare one in just in case.
We did suffer from unset stomachs but we took our own medication. We did see the first chioce rep bringing back tablets for guests with bad tums. Not sure if these included the "yellow tablets" There is no chemist on site or anywhere about but the rep will buy them for you and bring then on her next visit if you are caught short.
The plus thing about having hardly any shops and children is you can't spend extra money with the "mum can I have/ Iwant that" So allinclusive means just that. :D
thanks for that, im taking stuff for the bellies as well, always do, i know what you mean about the shops thats good news too :P
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.