Indian Ocean inc. Maldives/Mauritius & India Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in India and Indian Ocean.
Hi

We've been to Sri Lanka for the last three years and had a great time.

In answer to your questions

1- The only hotel we needed to use an adaptor in was the Earls Regency

2 - The first time we went we took £1000 and came back with about £500, despite buying things like table cloths and wooden elephants.

3 - Definately sterling - you get a better rate for cash as against T/C and you also get a better rate at Colombo Airport than the hotels - about 10 rupees per pound more.

4 - Each hotel we stayed in provided a free bottle of water per person per night, except for Mount Lavinia which provided a Thermos of drinking water, and our driver provided water each day so we never had to buy any. As Sancho says, make sure the seal is intact.

5 - We've done a tour twice and we tipped 1000 rupees for each day we had the driver - sounds a lot but it's only just over a fiver. We gave the tip on the last day.

6 - We haven't stayed at the Blue Water or Habarana Lodge but did have lunch at Habarana Village one day - good choice of food and the hotel had some lovely grounds.

Mount Lavinia is the old governors house, the staff who meet the cars are dressed in white shorts, long socks and pith helmets! It's a nice hotel with a large swimming pool on the rooftop area. The food was nice and we had a lovely view of the Indian Ocean from our balcony. You may find it a bit noisy as the railway line to the south passes by the hotel.

The Tea Factory - weird! It is exactly that, an old converted tea factory. No airconditioning in this hotel - they have heaters instead! Smallish rooms, nice bar and good food - you can splash out and go a la carte in an old railway carriage.

Earls Regency - a really smart hotel, friendly staff, good bar and restaurant and large swimming pool. The main rooms are connected to the hotel by a walkway. The building looks very chinese the first time you see it. Located about a 15 minute drive from the sites of Kandy.

Have a look at http://www.aitkenspencehotels.com for some pictures of the Tea Factory and Earls Regency.

Enjoy your hoilday - we're saving up yo go again next year
Thanks for your help, only 4 days to go now and can't wait!!

Beth :D
Hi beth

if you havent seen them I have an album of photos from Sri Lanka, on my photo website.

Go tohttp://www.clubphoto.com and in the "search albums" window just put my HT nick of "sancho proudfoot" and it will take you there.
BethH.
Hope you have a fantastic holiday wish i were coming with you,snowed under at the moment with work,i'm green with envy when reading all about you people ready to fly out to exotic places,i've got to wait till nov, it's a life time away.

Best of luck and don't forget to sign in when you get back .
Hi Sancho and Smarshy

Thank you for answering my questions - we spent all weekend trying to look for the right adapter plug in the shops and came up with nothing so it's good to know that we can use our normal Eurpean one.

I have a couple more questions though - can anyone shed any light on the following?:

Do we need to re-confirm our flight direct with Sri Lankan Airlines (Guidebook says yes, Kuoni say no)?

How early will check in desks open at Heathrow (we've never flown long haul before so have no idea)?

How much is the Departure tax when you leave Sri Lanka and is it payable in rupees or sterling?

Thanks in advance again!
Hello again!

On our first trip our driver confirmed our flights, the last two we haven't bothered.

The desks at Heathrow open about three and a half hours before departure - usually there's a fairly long queue by then. The check in area is at the far end of Terminal 4 near a coffee shop. We didn't think there was much to "entertain" you once you had checked in.

The first time we went, 2003, departure tax was 1000 Rupees. The last two times, despite what the guide book says, it was nothing. You will need to complete a little white card before you leave Sri Lanka. You can get these after you've checked in your luggage, but before going through passport control.

If you need a porter, inward or coming home, the official rate is 30 rupees a bag but those we've come across have wanted a couple of pound coins. We thought it was worth it on the way back as they seem to worm their way through the masses and get you to the front of the check in area.

Any more questions fire away - I'll do my best.

Enjoy your trip
Hi, just to let you know that the BLue Water is a great hotel. I stayed there in April 2003. The food is fantastic, lovely big swimming pool & gardens - never any problem regarding space/sunloungers.

The hotel is constantly being cleaned and the staff are amongst the friendliest people you will ever meet, they cannot do enough for you. I was especially pleased with our choice of hotel as we were getting married there! Everything was exactly as the tour company had said it would be and I hope to be able to return soon.

A lot of people just stay within the grounds of the hotel, but it is well worth going outside & grabbing a tuk-tuk to take you into the next village. There's not a huge amount right next to hotel - a small gift shop I think, but the village has much more.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

P.s. we booked with tradewinds and flue with Sri Lankan airlines & Emirates - both very good.
Hi Smarshy
Thanks again for the info. Can I ask another question? While you were on the tour, what sort of time did you have to leave the hotels every morning? Just want to know so that we are prepared if it's very early!
Most trips meant leaving the hotel between 8 and 8.30 though once or twice it was round 7.30.

Be prepared for some long journeys, e.g 50 miles in 2 hours as the roads are nothing like over here. The most important part of a Sri Lankan vehicle is the horn! The driving is different as well, imagine a car overtaking a lorry that is overtaking a tuk-tuk that is overtaking a bike. A bit hairy but you'll soon get used to it!

We've just booked with Kuoni to go back next year, 4 years running to the same place, guess I'm getting old!

Can't be long before you go so if you think of anything else to ask be quick! Have a great trip and don't forget to post a review.

PS - You cant beat a hopper, a sort of pancake, for breakfast with a fried egg inside topped up with some chicken curry
Hi Corinne
We got back on Sunday evening and had a fantastic time, am missing it so much already. The Bluewater is gorgeous, really beautiful hotel set in gardens full of palm trees and a stonesthrow frm the Ocean.
It is quite quiet at the hotel, a restaurant and bar, pool room and night club that is open on Friday and Saturday nights...we went in there on the first night and were the only two there!
However the service is excellent, the staff will really look after you there, especially as it only seems to be a third full at the moment so you will have all of their attention. The food is usually buffet style and they had themed evenings - Sri Lankan, bbq, italian....all very good quality and plenty of choice.
For lunch there is a pool bar which serves mainly hot sandwiches and chips, so I would maybe try and go to a supermarket and stock up on snacks and fruit before you arrive otherwise you are left will little choice at lunchtime. One thing we wish we had done is brought a couple of bottles of wine or spirits with us as the alcohol there is expensive and if you fancy sitting on your balcony for a drink you are then paying for room service.
We were only there for 8 days so decided to just do one trip out and picked the Elephant Orphanage, a visit to a batique museum and a shopping trip to Colombo. We hired a taxi with driver for the day from the hotel (far cheaper than our tour guide was offering us) and he picked us up and 5.30 am and we managed to do it all in a day. The elephant orphanage was wonderful and there is a 6 week old baby elephant there. Colombo also good but I would decide what you are looking for and ask your taxi driver to suggest the best places to go rather than wondering round yourself. Good jewellery store called the Gem Museum if you are after jewellery, and if I remember rightly a store called Odel for clothes - all good prices as many of the factories are actually out in Sri Lanka.
We took a mixture of rupees and American dollars with us, no travellers cheques. The hotel only accepts rupees but will change up any other currencies for you, outside the hotel you can pay with rupees or dollars pretty much anywhere.
The weather there was good but mixed. It was very warm constantly, and very humid, tending to rain in the morning for an hour or so and then brighten up with beautiful sunshine in the afternoon. We only had one day of longer downpours and this didnt stop us from doing anything. Be really careful with the sun there, even when rainy and cloudy you will burn, take plenty of sun tan lotion and after sun!! And being very girly for a second, if your hair is even slightly curly I would take some hair gel as with the humidity mine went very frizzy!!
The only thing that I was very very slightly disappointed with was that the hotel wasn't nearer to any other towns or bars as it meant that we spent everynight in. I also would say that we both felt we had had a fantastic time but hadn't seen the real Sri Lanka, being in a 5 star complex!! When we travelled out for the day you really see such stark differences, especially along the coastal road to Colombo where the Tsunami damage is very evident.

Hope this is all helpful and if you want to know anything else let me know. Enjoy your time over there, I am very jealous!!!

Beth :lol:
Hi!

Got back on sunday from the most fantastic holidays I have ever had. The Blue Water is lovely!! I have posted a longer piece about it in one of the other forums for you, hope you can find it. If not let me know and I'll paste into this one!

Enjoy your holiday!!

Beth :D
Hi Beth

Thank you so much for taking time to write such a helpful review - I really appreciate it and I'm sure others will too. It's only 4 days until we go now so I'm starting to get excited.

We are only going to be at the Blue Water for 4 nights at the end of a 6 day tour so I don't mind if it's quiet as I think we'll need a rest by then. But it's useful to know that it might be a good idea for us to get drinks and snacks from somewhere before we arrive. We have got a private car for the tour so I am sure we will be able to get the driver to stop at a shop somewhere. Are there fridges in the rooms?

Can I just check that we will be able to change Traveller's cheques in the hotel if we need to (we are taking sterling in cash and sterling TCs)?

Luckily my hair is as flat as a pancake so frizz won't be a problem. I do burn easily though so I have got some factor 40 and long sleeved shirts for the tour, hopefully I will have got used to the sun a bit before we get to the Blue Water.

Did you fly with Sri Lankan? If so how did you find them?

If I have any other questions then I will let you know!
Hi Corinne

Yes we flew with Sri Lankan and they were fine, no delays luckily.

There was an exchange desk at the hotel and I'm sure they would change travellers cheques there, may be worth a quick call just to check.

Yes there were fridges in the rooms, and two bottles of free water everyday. Also a safe in each room that you could set your own code for so handy for passports etc.

Just had all the photos developed and now very sad to be back at home!! You must go to the elephant orphanage, the photos are fantastic!

Hope you enjoy yourself, you will have a wondeful time!!

Beth
Hi Beth

Thanks for the info again. We should be going to the Elephant Orphanage on the last day of our tour, on route to the Blue Water. It sounds great - can't wait to see all the elephants, especially the babies.

Will post a review of it all when I get back - only 2 days to go now!
I am due to visit Sri Lanka at the end of July. Does anyone have any advice about what anti malaria precautions are needed. At the moment I am totally confused as I am being given different advice about tablets to take and have been told that many of the malaria pills can have nasty side effects. Any advice anyone?
Hiya,
At the end of the day the decision is yours to make. I lived in Sri Lanka for a number of years and did not take any form of malaria medication. The main areas for malaria are the north and east. If you are going to be in one of the resort areas close to the airport or to the south or taking a tour in all honesty you will not be in the high risk areas, I am passing on the experiences that I had but as I say the decision ultimately is yours!
Just a quick message to say that we've arrived in Sri Lanka. Had a 2 hr delay on the flight but otherwise no problems. We are currently staying at the Mount Lavinia Hotel near Colombo. Weather is hot and humid but bearable as everywhere has air conditioning.

Had our first taste of Sri Lankan food last night - nevermind the curries, even the mango chutney is hot here! They also serve curry at breakfast but luckily they have 'normal' food as well - I had Marmite on toast and Chris had sausages.

We're only here for another night and then we are off on a 6 day tour of the hill country - visiting various temples and religious sites and an elephant orphanage. First stop tomorrow is the place where they filmed Bridge over the River Kwai before we head off up to the tea plantations.

All of the people we have met have been really nice but their driving leaves a lot to be desired - I get the impression that there isn't an equivalent of the Highway Code in Sri Lanka!

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions before we got here - most appreciated! Will post more when I get back.
Hi Corinne,
I bet you are having the time of your life, and just at the start of your holiday too!!
Just thought of one more thing to tell you. When you go to the Elephant Orphanage, take some small denomination Rupee notes with you as you will be able to feed the elephants yourself and have your photo taken next to them but you need to tip the guys who work in the orphanage.

Also, take advantage of the authentic Sri Lankan food as they made it far less spicy for the guests at the Blue Water!!

Beth
Hi
I'm back at work now after our fab two weeks in Sri Lanka. Will post a detailed review when I get chance but in the meantime if anyone has any questions then just ask!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.