Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Stand Out Memory
12 Posts
What surprised me last month was on walking around the Bazaar in Marmaris we were stopped by a man outside a shop and he greeted us like long lost friends.
He asked my husband if he wanted another coat and we realised he had bought a leather coat from him in June 1994 :tup
What memories the Turkish people have!
Mind we did sit in that shop drinking apple tea before the price was right. :rofl :rofl
One day while i was wondering where to go for our next holiday,i was going through the places we had visited,when i had a thought I wondered how many letters of the alphabet we could go through starting with the letter of the places we had visited.By visited,i mean you must have stayed there a reasonable amount of time-say overnight or whatever you consider reasonable.It was amazing how many places we remembered, and brought back some lovely memories of places we had long forgotten.Try it yourselves,but i warn you it gets quite addictive if your bored.
As we have a holiday home we visit Turkey several times a year. This year on each visit a beautiful white Van cat made herself at home with us. I'm sure she must have a home somewhere as she wasn't hungry and was in superb condition. Anyway on our last visit she was so very friendly and within an hour of our arrival she was calling to me under my bedroom window and threw herself into my arms. She even managed to jump from the garden to a first floor bedroom window in order to be with us.
I've visited Turkey twice and it's hard to pick one stand out memory but pushed to do so I'm bringing up the memory of a boiling hot day, lying on a partially submerged sunbed at one of the lagoons in Olu Denis, feet dangling into the glistening water :) What better memory is there when the winter's drawing in here.
The very first time you see the view as you come down from the road from Hisoranu to Olu Deniz. like all things you stop noticing it after a while but the first time is something special.

Oh and the outstanding food at Lykia World :rofl Never seen a fish that was 5ft long suspended on a buffet table in such a spectacular way.

Doe :sun2
For me it's when we are recognised by a waiter,shopkeeper etc; It may have been a year since we visited and we may have only been in the shop or bar once. The Turks don't forget anyone,I find it amazing.
I'd also have to agree about that view as you come down the hill above Olu Deniz.
For me there are quite a few but the one I comment on most of the time is the smell of the warm dry air with a hint of pine when you step out of the airport,for me you just can't beat it. I wish I could bottle that smell so that at times like today when it is grey and over cast you could just have a little sniff - ah bliss.

Another stand out memory for me is when you feel the sun on your face first thing in the morning on your first day your hard earned holiday and you think of all family, friends and colleagues who are just about to go off to work :rofl
i love hearing the ezan calling (the mosque) , especially at dawn, you know your in turkey then lol, i love getting up and feeling the sun on my face in the morning :-) bliss! i love the relaxed way of life too, tho not when 10 mins turns into 2 hrs lol! thats defo 1 thing hubby misses about his country but hopefully we will go home to visit his family in hatay in march :-) not that long away really!x
They are but memories now,
Those walks along the promenade and taking lunch at the Erdem.
The boat trips were we visited the cave,fed the fish at the fish farm and swam from the boat into cristal clear waters.

Only memories now of the jeep safari when we visited the waterfall,walked out to sea on the sandbank at Oranihya and got involved in endless water fights with fellow jeepers.

My lonely walks in the early morning around the village, no one for company but the hens ,goats and numerous birds singing their morning song,with the rhythmic beat of the crickets in the background.
The smell of the land and off the bakers shop, so distinctive.

Nights spent in the restaurents and bars, enjoying a meal and a few drinks with friends, singing and dancing and watching the shows are all but fading memories.

The winter will be long and cold but as long as we can hang onto our memories the time will soon pass till we again return to our magical place.

Gene
Sitting on the balcony before getting ready to go out for dinner, as dusk falls, with a glass of wine in hand and some nibbles, watching and listening to the goats bleating as the goatman brings them down from the mountain for the night. A lot of the other things mentioned on here are also so evocative, like the early morning stroll down to the bakery, the smell of pine as you come out of the airport, and the sound of the call to prayer reminding you that you really are in a quite different country.
It all seems a lifetime away now, still only another 7 months to go.........
Mine probably came on my second visit when I surprised my two daughters holidaying in Club Turquoise and more or less turned up on their doorstep and slept on their couch for five days. Happy times.

Haha i was there,spotted you first

Stand out memory this year?
My girlfriends surprise when on more than one occasion walking along the street in Marmaris and people shouting Gunny..GUNNY...from the back of scooters and coming over greeting you like a brother.....or my friend Turkays response on our second visit this year going up to the hotel where he was working(he didn`t know we were even comin to Turkey)walking up behind him tapping him on the shoulder and him turning round hehehehe he went nuts..
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.