Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
ruth24s,

There's not much you can do really. If you look in the terms and conditions of booking, there's a clause that states they can change your flight times if it's required. holidays are provisionally arranged months in advance and schedules sometimes need to be changed and flight times are for guidance only. I wouldn't have thought this constitutes a major change. You may have a case regarding the supliment, but thats all.

Darren
That is all I want. But not having much joy at the moment. Is there anything you can suggest that I can do?

I would be happy with half of the supplement. Which for me is fair.

any suggestions?

ruth
Same thing happened in June to my daughter and family, changed from day flights to night flights, and from Edinburgh to Glasgow airports. She was given the choice of cancelliing, or switching to another holiday, but if she chose to accept the change, there would be no refund of any sort. As all the cheap deals had long gone, she had just to accept what was on offer. Just another example of how the big merged companies treat you now. The sooner everyone starts going indepedent and making up their own packages the better, as with bookings falling off because of the economic situation, the bully boys will just cancel flights, and move peoples arrangements around to suit themselves. Alan
Yeah it is really bad I think. I do feel like I am being bullied in a way. At TC level they can change the times i.e. day flight outbound night flight inbound. As in my case. Although if I wanted to book this way it could not happen. My travel agent have tried to do everything in their power to get money back but they are not budging. I am just a victim of corporate bullies who can change times to suit them without any offer of compensation whatsoever.

It does stink. In this country customers are treated like dirt, but what do you do??? They have you by the balls!

ruth
ruth24s wrote:
Is there anything you can suggest that I can do?

The only thing you can do really is write to them, or phone (don't email) and state your case. Explain why you think you are entitled to half the supliment and see what they come back with. I wouldn't hold too much hope though. You might want to have a look at the Thomas Cook thread over on the Tour Operators Forum for more advice from those who've been in a similar situation to yourself.

Darren
I will do. Just think it is a sorry case when you cannot be treated fairly by such big companies.

Thank you
ruth
Ruth,As your original flight was leaving Dalaman at 7.30am you would have to leave your hotel about 4am on your last night!
Although you have paid for a day flight? you may be better accepting the change as you will at least have the last night in bed and all of the next day in resort.
I didnt realise that Thomas Cook charged for day flights as I was in Icmeler last month with them and my flight/holiday was no dearer than the one that went the next day on a night flight.
Jay Trip wrote:
As your original flight was leaving Dalaman at 7.30am you would have to leave your hotel about 4am on your last night!

The pick up is likely to be about 0230, it's a 2 hour transfer from Icmeler to Dalaman airport and they like to have you their 3 hours before your flight is due to depart because of the security getting in to the airport (it can take a while at peak times, should be getting a bit quieter for an 0730 departure though). Some day flights have supliments (sort of supliments, the flights are more expensive than the equivelent evening flights) because they are more popular than night flights.

I agree with you though, I prefer the evening flight out and overnight return as you get the maximum resort time. It is tiring though and not great when you have a younger family.

Darren
Last month when we departing from Dalaman we only had about half an hour to wait after security before we went to our departure gate.We were the only flight leaving the airport at that time(12.15am)so maybe thats why we didnt have long to wait at the airport.
I have never seen the airport so quiet! We got picked up from Icmeler at 8pm.
sorry I have got it wrong we should have been leaving DLM at 15:15 and landing in Mcr at 17:50. I have put down our outbound flights from Mcr instead of the inbound from DLM :duh . :whoops

Sorry.

I know there are pros and cons of day/night flights. Its just not what I paid for that's all. As you both explained in your previous posts what does this flight time change mean in real terms. I.e. when will we leave resort room etc???

Thank you all
ruth
This change in my flight time is leading to questions I had not previously though of. Can anybody tell me this:

I choose not to pre book seats together as I thought it was a rip off. I am presuming they would not sit a 3 year old on their own and parents at either side of plane!! Even if you choose not to pre book do the TOs try to seat parties togethern anyway?? As long as one of us is sat with our daughter that will be fine.

ALSO if we fly at 7:30am what time do we need to get to the airport (Mcr)?? Is it better going early to try and get seats together?? (any suggestions)

I feel so dim asking these questions but it is our first family holiday.

Thank you

ruth :sun2
Jay Trip wrote:
Last month

That's the key bit though, it's after peak season so far quieter thant May through to end September. In peak season it has been known to take up to an hour to get through the security on the doot. Been there, done that!!! The new terminal is better than the old one in that respect though.

ruth24s wrote:
I am presuming they would not sit a 3 year old on their own and parents at either side of plane!![/quote
Seating is allocated by the airline rather than the tour opperator. You have the option of pre-booking seating together (this guarantees your party is together on the aircraft, but may be seperated by an isle or one behind the other) or 'selecting your seat' if you want to be sat in a particular area of the aircraft (should be a Boeing 757-200 in your case). Some people prefer pre-booking for peace of mind, others don't. As long as you arrive at the airport in plenty of time, you'll have no problem. It's only when you arrive late for the flight when seating has been allocated that you run the risk, ie you get what's left. The airline will try there best to seat you all together, but it the seats are already allocated, that's not always possable. I know it seems like a rip-off paying for seating together,I do agree with you, but some like to know they are going to be together as it's stressfull enough as it is for some. I remember flying back from Tenerife in 1988 I think it was when I was 9 (giving my age away now!!!!!) and for reasons I'll not go in to, we only just made the flight. I was travelling with my dad and he ended up at the rear of the aircraft and I ended up sitting with an older couple at the front who enjoyed looking after me during the flight!! Cabin crew tried there best to get someone to move so we could be seated together, but they wouldn't. It wasn't too much of a problem and obviously wouldn't happen with a 3yo, they'd have to sort something out, probaly insist someone moved to allow at least one of you to accompany your son/daughter.

You need to check-in at least 2 hours prior to your departure time, so 05:30. as long as you are there by then, you shouldn't have a problem. It's often the inbound flight when you are at the mercy of the transfer coach when you mainly run in to problems. No need to feel dim about asking questions, that's what we're here for. We've all been in the same position and members on here have a wealth of knowledge and experience to pass on.

Darren
Ruth,I have moved seats a couple of times so families can sit together so hopefully if you dont get to the airport early enough,there should be some way the crew can reorganise seat allocation so you can sit together.
You should have no problem getting seats together if you arrive at the airport as the check in opens.
Paying to be seated together is just another way of getting extra money out of us!As Dazbo has stated it can mean being over the aisle or in a seat behind.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.