General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
got ours the other year from sports direct,£19.99 each,dunlop,they seem to be ok.
I'm still on the lookout for luggage as I go away in less than 2 weeks. I've tried Argos and seen a few but they are all sold out, also tried the half price dunlop ones on sports direct and they are sold out. Not sure where else to try, I require a medium sized wheeled suitcase at around £20 - £30. So any suggestions would be great? Also does anyone know when Argos get new stock in?
I got a nice one from Primark! Has 4 wheels so it's so easy to use, lightweight, about 3-4kg and large (it's also pink but they have oother colours) it was £28 reduced from £35
Try tk maxx,or tj hughes, I got mine from tj hughes years ago a big pink case,and its really good,only cot me 20quid.. primark as someone suggested has them aswell..
Where do you live.....I have a red TRIPP suitcase, wheeled, medium that I don't use anymore. Think I used it twice but have reverted back to a holdall type.

I now have a Samonsonite holdall type that MIL gave me...she bought it as a 'spare' whilst in the USA!!! Really good for keeping under weight limits.

My favourite suitcase was the first one I bought....was like a tapestry effect one, think from Debenhams or the like years ago. Still going strong as my mother uses it!
Thanks for the suggestions I will have a look. I live in Stoke.
I am after a medium sized suitcase, just need some help with inches. Would a 24inch suitcase be classed as a medium sized suitcase and a 29inch suitcase be classed as a large size. Thanks.
Hi

We are going on holiday at the end of the month and are taking our 6 month old baby.

Thomas Cook have kindly given us a 10kg luggage allowance for our baby. It states that the 10kg needs to be a suitcase with only baby stuff in it so we now need to buy a cheap, large but lightweight suitcase.

I'm hoping to spend no more than £30.

Any suggestions?
As it is probably the only time you will need it ,why not buy a larger one and only put 10kg in it or even just buy a holdall.I have also read on one of the holiday forums that you can buy nappies at the pharmacy when you are airside and carry them on like you would duty free,this would free up some of your weight allowance.
I'd suggest a good-density medium to large nylon holdall. Not only will you be able to stow it away more easily in your room, but it won't take up much weight as baggage, allowing you to put the maximum weight in it. It will also be more forgiving with irregular shaped objects, though I appreciate you might find it less protective of fragile items.

And being nylon, you can always wipe up any spills or dirt it may attract during use.
We are looking for a big suitcase so it will last a good few years but a big hard case can weigh anything upto 5kg which is half the baby allowance.

We are flying from Birmingham so we can order from Boots online and collect at the Boots store once through security, we had already decided we would order suntan lotion and baby milk to save on luggage weight but we hadn't even thought about ordering nappies from there!

Not placed an order yet though as they are out of stock of Soltan Baby and its only BOGOF online and not instore!
Why not just buy a really cheap holdall from one of the supermarkets or Argos then use it this year and dump it if you can't find another use for it.
we had already decided we would order suntan lotion and baby milk to save on luggage weight but we hadn't even thought about ordering nappies from there!

But don't forget that you'll still only be allowed your standard hand baggage allowances and from memory the Thomas Cook one isn't generous. Do you really want to be loaded down with a pile of nappies as handluggage? Where are you going to? If it's somehwhere were you can buy nappies etc easily enough, I'd take just an initial supply and buy them once I arrive.

Given that you're only allowed 10kgs and it has to be only baby gear, if you are wanting to buy a good case that will be of use in the future, why not buy something decent that is the maximum standard size for handluggage, instead of buying a big case that will actually carry far more than that and weigh more in the first place? EasyJet, as well as most scheduled airlines will let you take on a case measuring 55x45x25 - as long as you buy a reasonably lightweight trolley case, that will come in at around 10kg once filled and will be of use fior many trips to come.

Also, bear in mind that a large, half empty case might attract attention from security and Customs. It has never happened to me but like many regular travellers to Cuba I always go out with far more than I come back with and one does hear stories of travellers leaving Cuba with empty cases being pulled over to explain what they've done with the original contents. Likewise, especially with large rigid cases that seem to be far bigger than the traveller actually needs, British Customs take an interest in what might be being concealed in the actual construction of the case. As my parents have got older they've learnt to travel lighter and lighter so that the luggage was easier to manage but found themselves also being pulled over for manual checks in the 'Green Channel' here and in the US the lining of one case was actually slit open during the security check. In the ned they bought new smaller cases that would get filled and had no more trouble.

SM
If you have a large case with only a small amount of clothes in I think you'll find they get a lot more creased.
Sub Zero B that are advertised as " the lightest suitcases" and they start at a small carry on size up to a large one.
I have been thinking of buying one of these for a couple of years but I am not convinced they will stand up to the handling at my local airport.
Lots of people have bought them and they are available in plain or patterned material and are guaranteed for 10 years. :tup
Go for it, Jay. We bought 2 Sub Zero cases and we have used them many times this year. They are still
like new. Also, they have easily paid for themselves because we now don't get charged for excess baggage
as they are half the weight of our old cases - the extra 2k plus each comes in handy.
When empty, I can lift one with my little finger.
I would purchase replacements if necessary - can't praise them highly enough.
Thanks Suzie,I think we will buy one for this years holidays, but we mostly use Newcastle airport and every case we have without exception comes back with another bit of damage :rofl
I always ask someone who has one at check in or in our hotel how they fare and everyone has sworn by them. :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.