General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Need to purchase some new suitcases - mindfield out there!!!!!

Can anybody recommend a good manufacturer?

cheers - roll on the 22/8!!!!! :wave:
Hi :wave:

Antler is a very good make but not cheap I am afraid http://www.antler.co.uk/catalog/DISCOUNT.cat

There might be some deals online (eBay, Amazon etc) or in a sale in shops like John Lewis :que
I always recommend TRIPP, their luggage is fabulous, lots of choice, excellent pricing and I've been using their cases for years. Some of my original purchases from 8 years ago are still going strong and they're used on average 4 times a year for foreign travel.

You can but direct from http://www.tripp.co.uk or via Debehams website or in store.

They do have a sale on with some suitcases with 70% off at the moment :tup

They also do other brands such as Samsonite & Antler
I love Antler. I have some that is 8 years old and really could still be used except that I wanted some a bit larger. So, I got some more cases that I adore from Antler.
Thanks for all your replies - have £30 gift vouchers at argos so might see what they got and then have a mooch at Debenhams.

Hard case or soft - we've always had soft before? Any comments?
Hard case. I once had a soft and had loads of things smashed. Hard case, I never worry about anything
Are soft case not lighter though? ive bought lightwieght tripp luggage for this yrs hols - we fly out on the 15th. Bought from debenhams outlet.
Hard cases are not always heavier....some of the TRIPP hard cases are actually lighter. I guess it's personal preference, I have both and have to say my soft cases have lasted just as long from Tripp. Ive seen many a damaged hard case on the carousel. I just bought a new one for a hol in June and whilst it certainly wasn't damaged the outer was scratched to & from Faro.

The one thing I would say is that I'll never go back to a 2 wheel case, I'm truly converted to a 4 wheel spinner....FAB :tup
That is what I would like, Miss but our cases (only two wheels) have lasted quite well this time and I can't justify buying new ones until they look shabby!

As a well travelled Miss, can you tell me if you think it is a good idea to have luggage straps with a surname embroidered in bold writing?
Our hard shell cases have been going for twenty years...Delsey and Carlton... averaging 10 flights a year. A few gouges but that's part of their character as are the numerous hotel and security labels, Helps us to recognize them easily on the carousels.
can you tell me if you think it is a good idea to have luggage straps with a surname embroidered in bold writing?

Hi Suzie ;) I personally have never bothered with them, back in the day when suitcases only came in black and blue etc. I used to tie a piece of ribbon on the handle to identify my case. But these days I go for something unusual, not garish just "different" thankfully I've yet to see another on the carousels. My new hard 4 wheel spinner is grey in colour but with a lovely royal blue japanese type flower on it.....fabulous :tup

I justified my new suitcase as I decided to get rid of all my large suitcases, given the average max weight limit these days is 20kg I reckoned on never getting any use out of them....so I sold them and replaced with my new meduim case.
I think you are right about getting a smaller case due to 15-20k allowance.

Next time we are lucky - 28k each! Yippee - no worries!

On short breaks, I really should be able to keep to 20k but 15k it very difficult but if I bought a smaller one with four wheels, perhaps I could justify it to my Husband by saying "look what I have saved on excess charges by cutting down"
I will give it a go. Thanks x
SomersetSuzie wrote:
can you tell me if you think it is a good idea to have luggage straps with a surname embroidered in bold writing?
I have straps from the £1 shop - they have a combination lock on them and I use two different colours on each case - even if people have been to the same £1 shop, it's unlikely they'll have the same two colours on their cases!
I had a really bright pink floral holdall at Easter which I though nobody else would have, but when we arrived at Fuerte someone else had the same one! It was only my collection of £1 shop adornments (pink and teal straps, pink padlock, pink luggage tag holder) and of course my own home-made laminated luggage labels, which stopped an argument with a large grumpy lady at the luggage carousel who thought I'd picked up her bag! :lol:
The memsahib and I travel abroad several times a year and we have always had problems deciding on what type of luggage we require. After many years we have found the best solution is to go to a charity shop and pay one to two pounds for a suitcase. You do not have to worry about it getting knocked about or badly damaged by luggage handlers at the airport. The last one we bought was £1.50 and we have used it for eight holidays and it is still going strong. At that price if you only use it once and then throw it away it is good value. Unless there is some snob value in having the latest designer cases I think my way is best. Happy traveling. Graham.
There's never an issue these days for picking up a new suitcase for peanuts, Matlan and Argos prove that. BUT you most definitly get what you pay for suitcase wise IMO.

I agree if you could pick a decent suitcase up at a charity shop...why not, but I'd never go cheap as I'd hate to see the contents of my suitcase going around & around the carousel as I have witnessed many times :yikes
Ha Ha :rofl We always use soft cases as we have had a few cracks in ours. But...admittedly they weren't expensive makes.
we have tripp suitcases, but also use a holdall type one, that weighs 2 kg, and was £10 from aldi........its done 6 flights now, and is still going strong
I'm on the lookout for a new medium sized suitcase anything around 26inchs. I need a modern wheel along one and would be willing to spend around £30-£40. The only place i've tried is Argos which have the sets for reasonable prices but anyone know how good quality wise they are. Is there anywhere else with luggage on sale at reasonable prices at the moment. Any help would be great.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.