Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Sun Express
39 Posts
I was told by Thomas Cook they were owned by a Turkish company and Luftansa.They have a new fleet of aircraft,allow 20kg luggage and have complimentary meals. The only thing that put me off booking a holiday to the Antalya area was they leave there at 6am!.
Hi, we booked with Thomas Cook and have been told we fly from Luton to Dalaman at 9:50am by this airline. when i go on there website there is no montion of either airport !!!!!
micko1962,
The places mentioned on their website are the schedule routes they operate.
Luton is a operated as a charter, don't worry!!
Hi micko1962 - we've just done the Luton/Dalaman flight with Sun Express. Their website says they allow 20kgs luggage allowance and complimentary meals (we had already paid Thomas Cook for 5kgs extra weight and the meals - so annoying). The flight and service was fine but I'd have something to eat before getting on board because the meal was awful both ways. Tea and cofee complimentary but anything else you have to pay for. They charge for headphones for the film - Night At the Museum going out and "a Good Year" on return. They ran out of a lot of stuff on the way out (coke, beer(!)). Also going out the steward tried to charge us 80 euros for 4 drinks, which we queried, it went down to 18 which hubs paid. But I called her back to query again and it went down to 8 euros! She said she was very tired after a couple of flights ...
When I went to a branch of Thomas Cook to price a holiday using Sun Express they asked me if I wanted the extra 5kgs and the meal.I asked why he was asking me as they allow 20kgs and give the meal free.He replied "Oh yes they do dont they?".Another way to rip us off to the sum of £32!
just did luton-antalya flight

flight good

plane good

food was horrendous both journeys
if i would have known would not have paid for food
however the airports in turkey are extremely expensive
so eat alot before you get to the airport

we sat near back of plane and on return journey had no duty free chocolate/sweets left at all as we were all starving following meal
I would go back to the travel agent and demand your money back for the food as Sun Express dont charge,the meals are complimentary!.
We paid Thomas Cook for four lots of extra luggage weight and four meals there and back when we booked the holiday (over £100). When I realised Sun Express include both anyway I contacted Thomas Cook to see if they could refund me but they said the flight was chartered by Thomas Cook and operated under their own guidelines. People who had not paid for meals were still being offered them though. Don't know about weight though. Please do not bother with the inflight meals, the food was truly awful. Just remember to have plenty to eat and drink before getting to Dalaman on the return journey!
Anice,thats disgusting.They shouldnt have charged you in the first place.My local Thomas Cook agent asked me if I wanted meals and the extra baggage when I was pricing a holiday.When I said no because its included anyway he just said " Oh yes it is isnt it!".I think everyone should be made aware of this as the extra charge adds a lot on your hotel price especially if theres a family travelling.
have booked to go back next year
may 2008
i have not paid for meals but couldnt risk not having the extra luggage allowance

got a good deal on luton flight to antalya with TC
Hi!

Came home on sunday from Antalya with Sun Express, never! Never again!We travelled from Glasgow and they would not accept Scottish currency, the pre-flight safety drill was a video but the explanation in English was largely unintelligible! The food was truly truly awful! take sandwiches!LOL!The price of a dram was I thought a bit on the expensive side, 8/10 YTL for a vodka I did not price the mixer £5 for a wee drinky? LOL!On the plus side and to be fair the flight was on time both ways although we did hear of a flight being 12 hours late the previous Tuesday. The seating did afford more leg room, and the seats comfy! The cost of duty free on the way home was excellent!Just for the record, we also paid for meals and the extra luggage allowance!for anyone interested, the meal consisted of the following:

sweetcorn and kidney beans, (cold)
a couple of pieces of cheese with pastaa/macaroni with 2 olives
1 dry roll
1 chocolate pudding which was ok. Think the aircraft was flying all over the place as it seemed to carry a change of crew, on the way out I sat next to a flight engineer, love turkey but next time I cook I won't be so gullable!

Alistair and Helen
Have posted this on the Turkey board but been told somebody on here may be able to advise.

We're flying from Humberside airport to Dalaman with sunexpress (XQ).

Humberside have lifted the one bag hand luggage rule but said some airlines haven't.

I googled sunexpress, and went on there site, emailed them asking about were I stand and they emailed back saying they don't fly from England :que

I'm so so confused. Are there 2 companies called sun express?
  • Edited by David 2008-04-05 13:48:17
    Merged with our existing Sun Express (XQ) topic, which may provide a little more info
Sun Express are a Turkish airline I believe and operate scheduled flights to and from Turkey. The airline is also used for chartered flights from the UK to Turkey which won't be on the SE website. We travelled from Luton/Antalya with them a couple of years ago and they were fine - similar to other UK charters really i.e. Thomas Cook, First Choice.

Can't help with the baggage question though :que
Hi hcafc_laura ... I have merged your enquiry with our existing Sun Express topic which may provide you with a little more info about the company. According to their website, only one piece of hand luggage is allowed ... click here.

David :wave
David,

That's the site I emailed and they said they don't do flights from England.

It's all very confusing!! Someone has just pm'd me saying that that's the site for another small Turkish airline :think
Hi Laura ... I have no personal experience of this company. But in your earlier post, you indicate the flight prefix XQ and that appears to be the flight prefix used by the Sun Express airline which I have linked to. They are telling you that they don't fly from England, and that seems to be borne out by info on their website. However, that may apply to their scheduled services only, rather than to any aircraft which they might have chartered to UK tour operators. Hopefully some of our aviation experts may be able to help you with more info and clarification.

David :wave
Laura,

Sun Express are charted by a tour company and often operate flights from/to Turkey. As David says, they don't offer a schedule service to the UK, it's a charter service. It's a similar story with bmi. They operate flights to Dalaman from Manchester on a charter basis, you'll not find any mention of it on their website. It's Sun Expresses policy for only 1 piece of hand luggage up to 6kg. There's plenty of reviews on airlinequality.com.

Darren
Ah, now I understand. Only second holiday I've organised so don't really know what 'charter' flight means. Probably just made myself look really stupid but at least you've cleared the hand luggage thing up for me - Thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.