Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
If you go up the narrow street facing the front of the hotel there's a small one on the left after the street opens up a bit (Minipreco ??). The bigger Pingu Doce is across the river sort of opposite the hotel but out of sight, if you walk over the new bridge by the back of the hotel you'll see it better from the top. You could also look around the market which is across the road at the back of the hotel, there are a few little shops around the edge of the fresh food stalls and you may find bottled water there.

I'd be there this week if I didn't have such a backlog of decorating to do....................!
Tavira now has its own mega mall with 110 shops.

http://www.taviragranplaza.com/

Some excellent comments in various blogs including 'white elephant'...

But all the little shops and markets mentioned above will soon go out of business as a result, so make the most of them while you can.
thanks, steve and cubsur just what I needed.
Dave.
The Gran Plaza looks handy for Cabanas but I'm not sure they've got the streets names right on the map. I don't know about it threatening the market but the old cinema in town is probably doomed!

(woodwork sanded and three walls emulsioned - not a bad day but I'd have prefered to have spent it by the Vila Gales pool!!)
The Gran Plaza is in Tavira, not far behind Pingo Doce but nearer the main road Tavira/cabanas.
It has Continente and lots of other shops.
Pat
hello Pat, will we be able to walk to the Gran Plaza from the Vila Gale Hotel? also could we walk to Cabanas and if so how long should it take at holiday pace, and can it be done along the coast?
Yes steve I would sooner be by the pool than at work, I have just had our tickets only got just over 3 weeks and I will be by it, I will think of you as the first beer of the holiday goes down :cheers
Dave.
Cabanas is about 3 miles. I cycled it once. Rather a busy road. There is a reasonable bus service between Tavira and Cabanas during the week but nothing on Saturday afternoons or all day Sunday.
Dave,
You can easily walk to Grana Plaza from Vila Gale in about 10 mins or less. As for walking to Cabanas.... there is a cycle track where you can avoid the busy main road. We walked it but it took 1 hour!!! Think the bus or train to Conceicao and walk
down to the village is a better option!!!
Pat
PS It's roasting here and we go home tomorrow!!!! :cry
Thank you both very much, never mind Pat I am sure you will be back soon :tup
Dave.
Hi, Maybe a bit late, but I would agree with Pat, the walk to the new Gran Plaza should not be too far. We drove from Cabanas, but it is quite a spectacular place, and you can get anything you need there. Back in the UK now, hope that you have a good visit.

cheers

Richard
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.