Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Talk yes, action no. It has become quite a political issue in the elections due on June 2nd. Whether the idea will be resuurected or not depends on who gets in, but there is a lot of oppostion to it. Most people prefer the idea of expanding Dabolim, which would require the navy to give up part of what they use.
I read this news report on March 27

" The Civil Avaition Minister and senior National Congress Party leader Mr Praful Patel will lay the foundation stone for the new international terminal building at Dabolim airport on march 31.
Following the directive of the Prime Minister,Dr Manmohan Singh, the naval authorities have handed over 9 acres of land to the Airports Authority of India recently, for the expansion of Dabolim airport in Goa.
The estimated cost for the expansion, including construction of a new international terminal building , will be Rs,5,000 crore. The lone airport in Goa would get a new look with advanced facilities of seven aero-bridges seven escalators, and improved landing facilities for Airbuses."
When contacted the Deputy Chief Minister and Tourist Minister Dr Wilfred de Sousa informed that the central government had given a green signal for laying the foundation stone.

The Reporter added----" The laying of the foundation stone for the new terminal and other development work will strengthen the image of the NCP in Goa and help it secure more votes in the forthcoming elections"

A few days later it was announced that the laying of the foundation stone was posponed, till a later date

As Phil says it's all political- but does anyone know if the stone ever did get laid :?:
As far as i knew the ceremony took place but the navy have yet to hand over the promised 9 acres.
on a similar theme, I KNOW I read somewhere that scheduled flights direct to Goa would happen in the near future, has anyone any idea when, I presume it will be linked to the new runways.
cheers Lyn x
As far as I am aware no new runway is under consideration at Dabolim, the plans are for new taxiways, airport parking, and new gates and whatnot. At present they seem to have trouble keeping the current runway up to scratch, I,m sure most charter flight pilots warn you of a bumpy take off due to the state of the runway. Several scheduled carriers have been given permission, I believe, includind Emirates, but up till now, when doing the sums, have decided it's not viable at this time. The winter would'nt be a problem, but they must feel that May to Sept. the payload would'nt be there Alan
Emirates were given slots on fridays but they appear to transferred them to Srilankan Airways.
Mike
It would be great news for us and local tourism if we could get direct flights into Goa instead of relying on the holiday companies.
For me personally, flying from Newcastle to Dubai then onto Goa would be magnificent, on a decent aeroplane, with a decent company. You can easily find excellent accommodation in Goa.
This would stop the (almost) monopoly the tour operaters have, especially on us '2 weekers'.
I've had to pay £250 each extra just to get a decent seat and service on a plane.
That turned into a bit of a rant!

Paul
ps nice to see you on here Mike
HotX,

I agree. The only decent prices I have managed to get are flying from Gatwick on a charter. I'd rather fly from Edinburgh to Amsterdam then get a direct, but at present not possible. I usually have to book a 'cheapy' last minute charter and ditch the accomodation. Can't stand Monarch or MyTravel/Airtours.
Neil have you every considered Emirates from Glasgow to Mumbai via Dubai. It is still 3 connections, but you could have a couple of days in Dubai on the way over and that would break the journey a little bit for you.
Neil , it takes me the same time to get to Goa from my house in Ayr using Emirates and Kingfisher as it did travelling to Manchester an then on to Goa. I can also check in on both flights before I leave the house.
Mike
You can fly from the UK to Dubai with Emirates, then Dubai direct to Goa with Indian Airlines. There is only one flight a week and it seems vey expensive, I was quoted £750 for January. You also have to overnight in Dubai on the way back I think.
Gemma,

Thanks for the tips. Where do you stay in Mumbai if you stop over?
Sorry Neil but ive never actually stayed over in Mumbai and ive never used this route to travel to India, but it is something worth considering.
Perhaps others on here could recommend a good stop over in Mumbai?

The Emirates flight leaves Glasgow (daily) around 13.15 hours.
As the other HTers said another option is to book Glasgow-Dubai with Emirates then the Indian airline from Dubai straight down to Goa. But they also said it worked out expensive.

We have booked package again for this November, and February 2008, but if I was doing the flight only and getting my own accomodation I would definitely use the Emirate Airlines flight from Glasgow thru to Mumbai.

Hope you get something sorted, good luck.
Hi we stayed overnight at the Taj opposite the India Gate in Mumbai a fabulous start to our holiday but it cost as much to stay the one night as it did the other 40 in a guesthouse in Goa
cheers Lyn
Latest news on new airport !

Goa will not only improve the existing Dabolim airport, and build proposed Mopa airport in Pernem, the state could even have a third airport in south Goa if the need arises with time.
Haven't we heard it all before !

From todays Navhind Times
And with all the difficulties getting a visa, both old and new risk being underused :lol:
Does the left hand know what the right hand is doing? :?
I don't think so Spinner!
The British aren't the only ones to visit Goa, they are now outnumbered by the Russians, and the Domestic market is growing rapidly.
"And with all the difficulties getting a visa, both old and new risk being underused"

Is the visa issue really a problem? There are many beautiful destinations in the world where getting a visa is time consuming, yet we wait. Maybe we have had it too good with Goa/India in the past. Since most UK travellers go to Goa for2-4 weeks whats the hassle in sending an application in the post to Edinburgh (or other consulate) and waiting?

Anyway 3 airports in Goa? The day there are 3 airports in Goa is the day you will not see me there. Imagine how chaotic, polluted, disease ridden the Candolim/Baga strip would get with all that extra tourism.

For me an airport in Maharashtra would be a better idea. That's only my opinion.
I agree with you neil on airports and visas ...3 airports? where's the infrastructure/justification when 2 week holidays are available for around £400 from the UK?
I have always understood there was money available from the government for a proposed airport across the border in maharastra, putting one in the south won't happen.

On visas, i've always queued up at the high commission in aldwych - frankly don't trust sending my passport in the post.

misterc.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.