Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
what are thomas cooks charges for having overweight baggage, whats the cost per kg? and how much does it cost to add an extra 5kgs on before flying? cant seem to find this info on their website
mexicogirls,

All the information you're looking for is on Thomas Cook Airlines website. Excess luggage is charged at £10 per kg on short haul the last I heard, but it could have increased for this summer. It's cheaper to pre-book any extra luggage allowance than pay excess on the day. Thomas Cook are strict with weights.

Darren
hi all...Im just back last night from gran caneria...and here is my report...B767 both ways on a thomascook package....booked my seats and did on-line check-in for first time...worked out really well...arrived at airport and went to on-line check-in desk...no one else waiting ....really nice helpful check-in lady...think she was Spanish....she first asked to have a look at our hand luggage and then weighed it...then our cases were weighed and tagged ...I had weighed them at home and they were just a bit under....and they were fine when weighed in at the check-in so scales there seem to be accurate...we were given our boarding passes and we went off to security...it was all very quick...hubby kept dissappearing to smoking area which made for a peaceful wait for boarding.....boarding was ontime but long delay for take off due to heavy traffic that morning....was a pleasant flight though not a lot of legroom...Im only 5ft1 and I was just OK ...belly camera was on but kept going off to periodically show thomascook information....and just as we were taking off screen changed to the information screen and so we missed it....there was IFE and we watched a good film I hadnt seen before....landing was fine ...picked up cases...smooth proccess through customs ...reps waiting who made sure we got on the right coach....

Coming home... pick up fine...rep went into airport first to get information about check-in desk numbers ect....being a worrier about case weights coming home...and the battery getting low on my digital travel scales ...I was pleased to see unused check-in desks where no one objected when I used them to check the weight of my cases....and hand luggage...all was fine....there were big queues that went down slowly but reps were still there sending people to other queues which were moving faster, making sure everyone got through in time for there flight.... there were 2 flights being checked in and 6 desks were being used...the reps were making sure all the earliest flight passengers got through OK ...I really like the way the reps are there ensuring things are OK untill everyone is airside...

I had booked my seats and they were the seats I was given...my cases were weighed but not my hand luggage...staff on desks very pleasant....

Went to security....instead of the big grey trays you put every thing in at manchester security there were small white trays...only half the size of the grey ones.... everyone was trying to fit their hand luggage into it and put pocket stuff and watches ect in as well....there wasnt a sign explaining that only your pocket stuff ,belts ,watches ect was to be put in the tray and your hand luggage on the belt behind it......it was funny at first everyone struggling including myself to squeeze regulation size hand luggage into trays aprox 3/4 of their size and all the other stuff as well....untill a frustrated lady operator who had obviosly ran out of patience ...probably after needing to explaining to so many ....got quite nasty with me....I have trouble with my hearing ( worse lately waiting for an operation to help sort it) and didnt catch what she said at first (harder to tell whats being said if there is a foriegn accent or person not facing me)....she turned round and screamed at me " engish english " to which I replied " yes "....she then shouted "no bags no bags" and banged her hands down on the table.....I felt such an idiot....had I not been so hot, and tired after packing half the night I would have probably realised you werent meant to fit the bag in the tray...or atleast noticed what the front of the queue was doing after being told....but atleaste I wasnt the only idiot trying to do it :rofl and its funny looking back now..

Boarding was smooth....the seats seemed more cramped on the way back....and I just couldnt get comfortable....me and the biggest of my sons sit together...holiday diet didnt go as well as usual this year....and though it was fine on the outward journey the weight we put on over the 2 weeks made a difference to how comfy we were coming home...I was really tired and wanted a doze but every time the drinks or meal trolly went past me it caught my arm .....didnt fancy the film on IFE ....took my own media player ....but aircraft noise was quite loud...and the type of noise affects my hearing....I had taken the wrong pair of earphones with me ....they werent a snug enough fit to keep out the aircraft noise....so got fed up trying to follow the film I had on my media player......so by the time I fly again there are 2 important things I need do.....loose weight and get a nice comfy pair of snug fitting earphones...
Best bit of flight was the take off and just after....as the belly cameras were on and showed the take off and some good footage of the coast...

Landing ,baggage collection, and passport control went fine.....myself and my son had the 2 trollies with all our luggage on and we are always dawdling behind hubby and youngest son....they went through the nothing to declare lane ahead of us.....I always feel nervous going through the nothing to declare lane, even though I know I havent anything or anymore than Im allowed , and have never been stopped............untill this time....myself and son were asked to go into a side room where they asked us a few questions like who we were , where we had been , and who else had we arrived with.....they then asked us to put all our cases and hand luggage through an x-ray machine , one peice at a time....they had a good look at the screen for each one.....I wasnt worried as I knew I didnt have anything I shouln't have had.....the security officer was pleasant and it didnt take long.....and in future I wont be as nervous going through the nothing to declare lane....tweetie
hi darren ....on way to airport coning home on monday the rep was giving everyone information ect on the way .....he warned everyone about case weights and said they were charging £14 or euros ( cant remember which ) per kilo over weight allowance......that was from gran caneria but think its the same from anywhere....tweetie
TWEETIE PIE wrote:
they were charging £14 or euros ( cant remember which ) per kilo over weight allowance

Thanks Tweetie pie, 14 euros or £12 sounds about right.

Darren
I can't get a straight answer from Thomas Cook - 2 conflicting answers - when do they stop doing Premium Cabin on long haul?

I'm looking at booking Manc to Cancun and their is an option to book premium cabin (which I want!) I've been told that it will be the last flight (there and back on 14th May) with a premium cabin AND I have also been told that Premium cabin finishes in Nov 2010.

So now I am confused :que :que :que
The correct answer at the moment is as of 1st May 2011 no more premium, certain flights may not have premium before this as changes are made, and this may be the Cancun flight
Thanks Befree.
The website shows it as available and one member of TC staff says it is available another says it isn't! I think I will go with it and book!
I'm back again.

Wondering which planes the following flights will be

Manc to Cancun TCX68K
Cancun to Manc TCX325

Can't seem to make sense of what I have found on other websites.

Thanks
northern_rose38,

Your flights are operated by Airbus A330-200. You'll find further aircraft information on our What Aircraft? guide (link below).

Darren
Hi, Has anyone used a childs trunki suitcase as hand luggage on a Thomas Cook flight. Their website states they are airline approved but was wondering if anyone has used one and if they had any problems. Thanks Bryan
Thos Cook hand luggage size is 43x28x23 cm's. including wheels, handles etc. As long as it is within those dimensions it will be ok.
hi ccrider.....when I used thomascook on a B767 recently I realised why the regulation size is what it is...my hand luggage bags were only 1or 2cms longer than the 43cms it was supposed to be ....the hieght and width were right...they were rectangular but soft holdalls and not over filled so I could squash them back a bit....if they had been solid like the trunks you are asking about I would not have been able to shut the overhead locker....so if I were you I would ask the thomascook airlines about it....the trunks maybe fine on other airlines but thomascook has the smallest allowed hand luggage size....and I for one know know why....so even if its a few cms bigger you could have problems...tweetie
We used one the other year, had no problem having it accepted as hand luggage but actually using it was a NIGHTMARE !
A kiddy can't carry it onto the flight and of course a child can't pull it along on a plane either which means an adult has to carry it. The design of it means that when using the shoulder stap it won't lie under your arm, it ends up being stuck out and I lost count of the number of passengers I 'bopped' with it.
Also to open it up to get at anything inside you have to lie it down to open it, it's quite wide and overhangs your lap - if you are sat next to a stranger, part of it ends up on their lap.
You really can't get a lot in it, it's heavy enough even when empty.
Lastly a child can't 'ride' on it in a busy airport, I lost count of the number of people that nearly tripped over it.!
They are cute to look at and look like a good idea, but in reality impossible to use.
I understand now why no-one on Dragon's Den went along with it.!!
What is it with this flight (TCX336K) its late departing every week. Is it a Thomas Cook problem? Here's hoping its on time next week, but not holding my breathe. If its on time i'll be :sun2 by mid afternoon.
Apologies if this has been asked before>

I have an iphone and all my music is stored on it, what is the airlines policy on switching your iphone into airplane mode, as I understand it this disables the phone functionality of the iphone, effectevly making it an ipod
fatboyrover,

Thomas Cook, as far as I know, do not allow the use of mobile phones in flight, regardless of flight safe mode or not. This is to ensure there's no interference with aircraft systems as cabin crew won't always know if the phone is in flight safe mode or not, so a blanket no use is in force. This is the case with many airlines, although some do allow flight safe mode. You may find the following topic of use: Mobile Phones onboard planes.

Darren
Can anybody tell me whether you can chose your seats now for next summer? I have been able to do this previously but did not travel this summer. The paperwork states 2 months beforehand but can I phone up Thomas Cook and prebook now, just because we want the 2 seats at the back!
Hi there, after giving some thought to this issue of packed lunches I have come to the conclusion that we should just book the in-flight meals for our homeward journey. Can anyone advise me of the types of things we can expect for the kids? Doesn't matter for the adults too much, we are not fussy. Also we are flying on TCX165L on way home and TCX083K on the way there, what sort of facilities are on offer? Do they have IFE handheld things for hire? Are there toasties and things to buy?

Any help would be appreciated.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.