Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Rodz,

It's a little off-topic for here, but flying that fast is technically difficult for large passenger aircraft. Anything over a mach number of about 0.92, the sort of area you're looking at needs a more substantial airframe to cope with the extra stresses and fuel burn would be a lot higher. It's getting in to a turbulent area as you start to catch up with the pressure wave created by the aircraft. It's not a simple case of incrasing the throttles! Modern jets are designed to cruise at around mach 0.85, give a take that is an economical cruising speed. You might want to read about the X1 project and the breaking of the sound barrier, and how it became known as the sound barrier to understand some of the technical problems of flying that bit faster.

We're actually flying less than half the speed we used to now that Concorde is no more. One of the reasons she's retired is the costs of running such an aircraft. That's why the supersonic era has ended and we're back to subsonic flight. If it was feasible to fly faster while retaining competative airfares and low emissions, we would be!

Darren
Wasn't an alleged contributing factor of the Airfrance crash back in May not that the speed sensors where wrong and it was going so fast that is stalled?

Perhaps another reason why airplanes can't go faster than they do at the moment?

Mark :)
Mark,

:offtop I think it was alleged the speed sensors (pitots) might have been recording a faster speed that they were actually flying, and it was the lower speed that would have casued the stall. The margin for error in the thinner air at altitude is a lot lower.

Darren
Hello,

I'm thinking about booking a really last minute holiday to Salou flying to Reus from Luton tomorrow. Does anyone know if TOM5220 is operated by the 737-800?? I'm pretty sure it was earlier in the season but didn't know if they would have downgraded it to a 737-300 by now.

Thanks
Mark
Mark757,

LTN-REU-LTN (TOM5220/1) are indeed operated by a Boeing 737-800 (winglets).

Darren
Cheers Darren,I was just wondering if one will be used for cape verde?? this winter.
qatarman,

Flights to Sal from Manchester (TOM874/5) and Gatwick (TOM544/5) are both scheduled to be operated by wingletted aircraft (Boeing 757-200) as it's 2761/2684 miles respectively. I'll be coming home from Egypt (Luxor) on one in March. The Birmingham flight (TOM638/9) is schedule to be operated by a non-wingletted 752.

Darren
hi can you tell me which plane will be used for Man-Pop tomorrow. Will it be G-OBYJ? Thanks in advance
matt_easty,

Please include flight numbers when posting questions, it saves us having to dig them out and ensures we have the right flight. MAN-POP-MAN (TOM122/3) are operated by a Boeing 767-300/ER. It's been a mixture of ex-FCA and ex-TOM aircraft over the last 2 months. The aircraft operates to Orlando Sanford today (TOM112/3) before operating your flight tomorrow and is being operated by G-OOAN of the former First Choice fleet, subject to operational changes. For further aircraft information, refer to our What Aircraft? guide.

Darren
Matt,

I've flown on G-OOAN twice and it was a very pleasant experience, especially in Star Class Premier.

Hope you enjoy your flight !!!
Cheers Darren,looks like we have a none wingleted one we are flying from Birmingham in March
Hi,
We are travelling on TOM 544 return TOM 545 Bristol to Sharm El Sheikh on 28 December/4 January.
Can someone let us know what type of plane this will be. Very excited - first time to Sharm and for New Year :)
Thank you.
Tabby.
Hi, can anyone help.

We are flying to cancun on 25th October on TOM022 and returning on 6th November on TOM069. Can anyone advise if this is an ex-firstchoice or ex-thomson plane. I have tried to book seats, but the system will not accept my reference number. Never mind, we have booked extra legroom seats and have premium hotel so hopefully our seats should already be booked and seated together.
Tabby,

BRS-SSH-BRS (TOM544/5) are operated by a Boeing 757-200. You'll find further aircraft information on our What Aircraft? guide.

Darren
Hi
Can someone please tell me which actual plane will be operating tomorrow on EMA-CUN, TOM392?

Is this the same aircraft that is currently en-route EMA-SFB, TOM352?
MAZ1406,

LGW-CUN-LGW (TOM022/3) are operated by a former First Choice Boeing 767-300/ER. You'll find further aircraft information on our What aircraft? guide including seating plans so you can see the rows where extra legoom seats are located.

Darren
luv2travel,

The aircraft operating your flight (TOM392) tomorrow is indeed operating to SFB today (TOM352/3). You should be travelling aboard G-DBLA.

Have a great holiday :cheers :sun2

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.