Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
I just love the T/A crossings and have done several in the past few years including 2 this year. Did Celebrity Millennium in March/April and then QM2 July 12-24th BTB to New York.

I adore the long sea days and the relaxation it brings. I have always found that on the T/A's there are interesting lecturers extra concerts and many things there is no time for on cruises with a lot of Ports. For me the ship is the holiday and the Ports a bonus.

Doing a Med in October again with X.
Advice unless you are truly looking for a really casual cruise then could I suggest that you look at other options as well os Ocean Village.

Sue
I was onboard MSC Opera last year with 5 sea days in a row crossing from Tenerife to Brazil. The weather was fantastic for four of those days (in December). The time passed by so quickly, it was gone before i knew it. If the weather hadn't had been so good then time may have dragged, however by that stage of the voyage you'll have made lots of new friends and there will be plenty of activities to keep you amused.

If you want to wind down and escape from mobile phones and 24hour news, short of a desert island, I can't think of a better way.
Hi Sue, We did this cruise about three years ago, taking in St Lucia & St Martin, which were great, then The Azores, which were OK but the weather was cool and I wouldn't want to visit again. After leaving The Azores the weather was again cool, and windy, and the last few days going into Southampton, it was foggy. Couldn't see a thing, and the foghorn kept blaring out day and night.
The best way to do a transatlantic is to go the other way, at least, that way you have something to look forward to seeing at the other end. Plus, you keep gaining hours to make up the time difference.
We are going transatlantic in November to Brazil on the Island Escape. I love that itinerary, mostly warm weather all the way. You also get chance to unwind before the good ports of call come up. Mike and I love our days at sea.
Anything else you would like to know, just ask.

Marn.
TAs are great as a "relax" holiday we did NCL pearl Dec and the RCI Navigator April and both were good but the weather on the pearl could have been better, hurricane force winds for the first few days.

The pearl was 10 days at sea no stops and we were ok, the company was very good. I though we might get cabin fever but we were fine so round the worlds are on the cards.

We do not do "sun" and can be happy hanging around with people or doing our own thing also we do not get sick so do not care if the weather is good or not as long as there are enough crew to keep the ship running.

We are doing NCL Gem this Dec and will be sailing with a few people we have sailed with before so there is going to be some good people time, you also get to make full use of the facilities which with a busy port intensive cruises can't be done unless you skip ports, so put more money in the budget for the extras if you want to spa for example.

One advantage of the TAs is they are cheap(cruise only) we are paying under £200pp for the Dec trip(9n) this year and both the other trips were similar rates per day tag on some cheap flights and they are some of the best deals around.

Not done OV but if the price is right then these TAs are great cruises.

Going to the US is better you gain hours, coming back you lose them.
Thank you all for your comments, the reason I chose this cruise was too have 2 weeks in the Caribbean so my husband only has one long flight as he has a phobia regarding flying so doing it this way we can have a great holiday and he hasn't the long flight home (only from Palma) too worry about. I have been on Ocean Village - Caribbean before and loved it! (who wouldn't) and I talked my husband into 2 weeks last June but only had too fly to Palma so he wasn't too bad, and our Daughter & Son-in-law are coming with us it's my ?0th birthday and our silver wedding anniversary, and I can't think of anywhere nicer to celebrate! Just wondering if the price will come down a bit?? Regards - Sue
I can't think of anywhere nicer to celebrate! Just wondering if the price will come down a bit?? Regards - Sue

Definately worth a look around at other options, many cruises come back into the UK so NO flight home better ships and probably cheaper than OV.

This year it was possible to do UK round trip with no flying QM2 out short florida stay and TA back for around £1k.
Interested in what time of year this was as I would really love to do the QM2 again.
Looking at the Caribbean trips Feb/March and unfortunatley the single supplements are very high. Don't care about the % just what the overall cost is. At the moment they are quoting around £1800 for 11 nights i.e.10 night cruise. Again cruising out of NY at this time of year will be pretty chilly for the first couple of days out and in.

Oh well have plenty of time and the prices may change nearer to the time.

Sue
I do not remember the details but people on our Navigator TA in April did this (might have been the QE2 out) but price of £1k was fantastic.

TA to europe are in the spring so finding the TA out is the issue.
Heading off in a couple of days to Florida, with some days in Orlando and Fort Lauderdale, before joining the Costa Fortuna on Sunday 15th March for a 17 night Transatlantic to Savona in Italy. The attraction for us was the cruise begins with 6 days, and 5 different ports, in the Caribbean heading then across the warmer part of the Atlantic for 5 days to Tenerife and then Madeira, 2 more sea days then Barcelona, and next day the cruise ends in Savona.

We have a direct flight from Glasgow to Sanford Orlando, then pick up a hire car for 5 days. At the Europe end we will abort the cruise in Barcelona, where we get a direct flight to Glasgow. If we planned to go on to Savona it is a hassle to get back, and no direct flights without staying an overnight.
Hamrag ! Have a great holiday not a big fan of Costa but if the price and itinerary suits then by all means just go for it :)
Good move leaving in Barcelona

There are not many offers this year we are still looking
Yes do have a great holiday Graham and I will be interested to hear your views on Costa. Bon voyage!

Sue
Just returned from a fantastic Transatlantic cruise on Costa Fortuna. It was the itinery that made this one. Whilst we would not seek out a Costa cruise specifically, we would not hesitate to go with them again with the right itinery and price! Both now Transatlantic (warm waters only) converts!!
Unpack your suitcase and tell us all about it.. :)
Good to hear from you! Glad that you had a great holiday and would TRY a T/A again depending on the ports and costs etc.

Sue
Be good to get the low down on Costa, the prices are often very good.

Prefer my TA with as few ports as posible, these are for ship time.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.