Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
If you go on the Thomson website there is a section on "What others think" and it contains reviews of hotels and resorts. You can put your comments there for everyone to read.
They won't publish comments on their websites about really bad experiences.

That's why thomsoncomplaints was set up regarding Thomson's failure to investigate racist abuse by the staff of one of their hotels towards a black customer.

(Incidentally the boycott of Thomson is growing - four independent travel agents in Birmingham and one in Leicester have now completely boycotted Thomson holidays. Many people in Birmingham's black communities have also boycotted them).

**edit to remove link**
I have responded to JamaicaGal on this and never recived a reply.Is she saying ALL hotels that Thomsons send guests to are racist!!!!,if not why boycott Thomsons why doesnt she put the name of the hotel in her post.and allow others to note which hotels have this policy.
Presto 2

what we usualy do if we want to complement the hotel is write or e-mail them direct they will appreciate this far more tham the TO

wizard
hi ..quatarman...thats a very good comment ,rather than penalise all just make the ones that do wrong suffer then they may learn a lesson.....regards...johndoe
Hi everyone,

:wave

Thanks for the comments

We always write to the hotels after our hols (they've usually been really good) and the Cortisen was no exception. We've even gone as far as missing out the middle man and booking direct with one hotel in Pafos so that they get any profits! Am happy to write reviews on their site as well (though prefer to use HT as it seems more impartial) but I was thinking more of being able to 'record' our well dones via the ratings that appear in the brochures and feedback re the rep at resort .....

What concerned me was that the REP was not up to it at all and I'd heard some really negative stuff from other passengers - there had been some real cock ups and we knew that he'd lied at least twice re why there was a problem. At times it was like watching Fawlty Towers! Seemed 'odd' then to us that we didn't get a feedback sheet on our way back to the airport as we normally do -------- call me a bit niave but I've always had a good look at reviews / ratings in the Thomsons brochures to give me a guide --------------------If reps can simply 'forget' to give them out and then Thomsons simply wont even allow us to give ratings feedback (good and some questions!) then it makes me a bit wary about the whole system..... dunno if this makes sense!

Originally we'd just e-mailed to say 'Ooops forgot the questionnaire - is there anyway of rating our hotel and rep service etc' Now am just frustrated that they can't even be bothered to reply to 3 e-mails!

Would like to ask Thomsons for a comment re their ratings system but I get the feeling that it may take a while!!!!!!!!

(Have just had an idea ---------- don't laugh, but we're off to Italy with Thomsons in August ----------- perhaps we can ask for 2 forms on the way back! :wink: )
qatarman wrote:
I have responded to JamaicaGal on this and never recived a reply.Is she saying ALL hotels that Thomsons send guests to are racist!!!!,if not why boycott Thomsons why doesnt she put the name of the hotel in her post.and allow others to note which hotels have this policy.

Sorry but I don't appear to have received any message from you, qatarman.

In response to your question, no of course I'm not suggesting that all Thomson hotels are racist. This case is about one particular hotel in Tenerife. The complaint is not so much about the hotel's behaviour, which could be attributed to the actions of one or two "rogue" members of staff there, but the attitude of Thomson when the matter was brought to their attention. They appeared to brush the matter under the carpet and failed to investigate it. Their response was simply a generic apology letter which lacked any real sincerity or acknowledgement of the seriousness of the matter. Many people in black communities feel deeply offended by Thomson's lack of investigation, hence the boycott.

To summarise the complaint: the hotel's door staff refused entry to a black girl (one half of a mixed-race couple who were staying at the hotel with Thomson) in the evening, accusing her of being a prostitute. The girl was forced to wait on the pavement while her partner went to the room to get her passport in order to prove that she was a British citizen and a paying guest. The staff were very aggressive and failed to apologise afterwards.

Perhaps if the admin staff hadn't removed the link in my posting you'd have been able to read the protest website. It seems a little heavy-handed to remove the link, since the protest website in question is entirely non-commercial and exists purely as a warning to consumers. If Holidaytruths really is an impartial resource for holidaymakers, then I can't see any good reason why this link should have been removed. Surely people are adult enough to read the protest website and reach their own conclusions? Thomson are, of course, at liberty to give a public response on this website or anywhere else if they so wish.
I think there is more than one problem here. The original poster was complaining at not being able to compliment the TO.

But then we have gone off topic - not addressing the original question but bringing forward another problem.

To the original poster I can understand your frustration - I also like to pay compliments where due.

I support Thomson or any other company in only posting the good. Why would anyone post something negative about themselves?

It is suggested that they have not taken the "racist" comments seriously. I doubt that is true.

They have a problem. They are buying services from a company in another country. That company in that country are not subject to our laws. I have no doubt that Thomson will have expressed their concern to the senior management of the offending supplier.

I wonder what else Thomson could have done. Letters of apology from any company are very often, badly written and fail to properly address the concern. That is a fact of life.

If the Admin/Mods on HT or any other forum remove links then they have a very good reason. If I have a complaint about it I contact them and ask why. Invariably it is due to legal requirements.

We may feel free to post what we want, but the Admin/Mods have a duty to ensure it does not break any laws.

fwh
The posting by JamaicaGal was on the site for a while as i remember reading it. So it did reach some people :roll:
Spot on FWH :tup

Admin will look at this as soon as they are online and reply (or PM the member concerned) if necessary.

They would not remove a link without reason.

Pippy :D
I've moved the last post from this topic as it contained at least one potentially libellous comment.

I'm also locking the topic until admin are able to check it.
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.