Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
some are nice and some are too nice...
I have a boyfriend there and he is not a person who is hassle girls too much, but I have seen others.. I also have a lots of turkish friends in Marmaris so I know how it is.But it is their jobs...-to flirt with girls and make them come back. sorry to say that too many gos a little further than only flirting..
Hi all,

I went to Icmeler in October had the best holiday ever!

met this Turkish lad while over there been talking everyday since I got back he has asked me to go over and stay with him for a week before the season starts again about next March.

Has anyway else met sumone while been on holiday and gone back out on there own to see them again?

Just want to know what ppl think

Thank You all

Gem x
Yes i have done that, but believe me, they ask a lot of girls about that. I have jusy been asked now about the same and i know the one who asked me has a dutch girlfriend...so be careful
I was staying in a hotel where a handsome waiter was flirting with some young girls.He was trying to get one to go out with him when his phone rang ,He came over to where we were sitting to answer it.He said it was his girlfriend in England.When I asked where she lived when he said our town. I jokingly said "Oh I know her I will tell her youve been flirting"!His face was a treat!They must have a different girlfriend every week.I would be very wary.
  • Edited by Jay Trip 2007-11-10 22:38:09
Gem, having read this thread, what do you think?

You are the only person who can make a judgement and make a decision.
unfortunately the Turkish love rats site has been closed( pm me for details!)
but a new one is opening here http://groups.msn.com/TurkishLoveRatsDirectory/messages.msnw

just post his name a you will get a low down.
Gem

You started this thread prior to going on your holiday and now appear to have fallen for the situations the people who replied tried to warn you about.

Do you think he will be on his own between now and next March?

Chelsea Boy gives good advice enter his name on the other site but even if his name doesn't come up it dosen't necessarily mean all is well.

Only you can really decide though. Look after yourself (and your money!)

Doe
Hi ,

Dont go it will all end in tears!
A few years ago we went on a 3 day trip in Turkey with a guide named Ali.He stopped on the way back in a small town to pick his wife up.She was a shy Turkish girl and wore a headscarf all the time.He told us earlier in the trip he had spent many years in the resorts "enjoying"the company of european girls who came on holiday for 2 weeks.He said it was always his intension to marry a local girl.I am sure a lot of these young men are of the same mind and must think its their birthday every day when young girls on holiday for 2 weeks fall for them.Beware!
Chelsea Boy gives good advice enter his name on the other site but even if his name doesn't come up it dosen't necessarily mean all is well.

Doepsmc... Hopefully it's not my name they are posting! :shock: The wife will go mad... :lol: :lol:
Seriously though, we live here and the stories the waiters themselves tell are pretty outlandish. they do behave like kids in a sweet factory. Most of them will end up marrying Turkish girls, but will try to fleece as much money as they can.
Beware of excuses like...
my father needs money for an operation.
My credit card is due and theywill send me to jail,
I am going to the Army and won't have money to phone you.
The rent is due , I haven't been paid by the restaurant and the landlord will kick me out.
There are several more, these guys are brilliant at playing the role.... unfortunately the genuine ones are difficult to distinguish!
I would advise you to try and take his declarations of love and affection with a pinch of salt and bear in mind that you are probably not the only girl he is in contact with.

I can't answer whether it's a good idea for you to go over there before season starts - but if it's going to be your only holiday and you would be putting holidays with friends off because of this then I would advise not. Nobody can say whether someone's intentions are honourable or not but I do get a sense that you haven't taken on board the warnings on this and other thread - so be careful is all I can offer. I will say that with younger people they are maybe not so blatantly after a 'meal ticket' as they are when they hook up with women 20 or whatever years older than them - but they are if nothing else just having a laugh.
:oops: Chelsea Boy. I am so sorry. I meant the name of the lad the young woman is posting about. (must get myself some English lessons) :oops:
Wonder why Turkish Love Rats was shut down, I imagine it was quite helpful to some people?

Doe
If there was a love rat site for the uk it would take you weeks to read it , you only have to watch Jeremy Kyle show in the mornings to realise that.
Going back to meal tickets and advice to Gem, doepsmc is right in that it is perhaps not a meal ticket her young man is after however he may be after a UK visa, which is still a prized item for many young Turkish men. For some reason they think that coming to the UK will solve all their financial problems!

If they think they have have found the right person to manipulate they will stick it out for a long time in order to obtain first try a visitors three month visa and then later the old chestnut of the marriage visa. It should be remembered that once they have married in the UK, they are free to work here and once they have lived here for 12 months after the marriage and can prove that they are still with their spouse, an indefinite stay may be granted.

I am not saying that such visas are easy to obtain because they are not. My now ex-husband stuck in there for three years before the visa was granted; an example of staying power!

It is amazing how many marriages suddenly 'have difficulties' once the indefinite stay has been granted!
You're right there Magster,

Because of the money us tourists throw around on our Turkish holidays, resort boys think that there are tenner trees growing at the bottom of every garden in the UK. Some will do almost anything to get a visa - and the easiest way of getting a permanent working visa to the UK is by marrying a British citizen.

The rules have tightened a bit - its now 2 years the guy has to stick it out for in the UK, married and living with his wife, before he gets indefinite leave to remain in the UK. But all that time, he can be working and earning more in the UK than he can in Turkey (usually).

And then of course, there is the coveted British passport, which means, for a Turk, that they don't have any of the hassle of applying for costly visit visas to countries where Brits just have to wave their passport and walk through. Anyone who can show they have lived in the UK legally for 3 years (5 years if not married to a British citizen), can apply for a British passport.

Its not all doom and gloom, I've been married to my husband (whom I met in a resort) for over 5 years. We live in the UK, but I would never have married him in the first place if I hadn't lived with him beforehand (and I mean for months at a time, not a holiday fortnight). Marriage is hard enough work when you come from similar backgrounds and culture, throw long distance and very different cultures (plus different languages) into the mix, and it can be a minefield. Not something to be jumped into, or hastily.

Gem just take your time, and don't excuse any behaviour from this guy of yours in Turkey that you wouldn't let a British boyfriend down the road off with.

Elaine
Elaine, sounds like you had the right attitude right from the word go. Good for you and good that you are making it all work. Well done.
Just to put another side to the coin.

My cousin met a Turkish girl on holiday & married her.

He brought her to Ireland to live with him (I don't live in Ireland, I live in England).

So its not just British & Irish girls that have holiday romances.
Thank you all for your advise!

I have decied not to go, I am still talking to him on the phone and msn but dont want to take it any further I have already disicoverd lots of females pictures on his myspace......

Any thanks again for all your help! you are a friendly and helpful bunch!!!

Gem xx
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.