Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Typical !
9 Posts
It's typical isn't it. Most people don't have the wherewithal to do anything for themselves, and that includes sorting out their own problems. Unfortunately it's an attitude which is becoming more prevalent I think.

You could argue that Malta would be better off without these sorts of tourists however 'networking' will ensure that their opinion is spread to many others to Malta's loss.

You could also argue that people are looking for more value for money in their holidays and as a result expect higher standards of everything and are justified in this. There are resorts/countries which will satisfy their expectations.

There's nowt so strange as folk after all!

Ciao

Susan
This year we didn't even find the time to visit Valletta

:shock: you must always go to Valleta (& Mdina) as this is one of the lovliest cities in the world, we always fit it in even after 15 years now.

The type of people with the rip it down attitude are welcome to go home and tell all there like minded friends to avoid Malta and go to spain, Malta doesn't need them and to be honest it is their loss.

They would have loved Gozo then :rofl
Sounds like the type of people who want "entertainment" in their hotel. It really does make me laugh that these kind of people still exist. I thought "entertainment" in hotels was a thing of the 1970's is Spanish resorts for the British.

There are still soooo many people around who aren't interested in any of the rich culture or real areas of another country. They seem quite happy to travel 000's of miles and avoid anything local, including the people.

Their perfect holiday is "all inclusive" (which normally means the cheapest food that contains near zero nutritional content), staying by the pool and never leaving the hotel for 2 weeks.

We could definetly do without that kind of "visitor".
Here Here openminded :glynis in the words of meatloaf "you took the words right out of my mouth" that could almost of been me writing your reply frightening :yikes.

Sliema2
I was in Malta about a week and a half ago and I don't even have a TV in my apartment. My mum (who is 80) and my sister are there now. They travel all over the island by bus and have a great time. They eat out at different restaurants every night. Sure, they find some very good and some not so good but that's part of the fun.

When I'm there I'm out every evening. There are so many good restaurants,bars and clubs. Why do people want to eat in a hotel where the food is very often compromised since it's not their main business focus.

I also think there is a problem caused by people wanting a 2 week holiday for example for a price like 300-400 GBP. That's not much more than 21-28 GBP per night including flight, breakfast, dinner etc. And what about the piece for the tour operator which also comes out of this? It's not sustainable and the result is clear - poor quality and dissapointment.

I personally hope that all the so called "value for money" operators and hotels go out of business and that quality operators replace them. I believe this has started to happen and will be much more visible over the next 5 years.
Now that's something I certainly agree with openminded.

I think that it will certainly lead to an improvement in hotel quality because hotel owners will now have to compete for the custom of independent travellers. These are people who want quite specific things and good quality and service are two of them.

I think hotel owners can become quite complacent when they know they have a captive market of package tourists coming each year.

In countries where the cost of living and wages are low then you can expect to get a good holiday for less money, but I think these places are becoming harder to find, particularly in Europe.

Ciao

Susan
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.