Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Re: US Airways
61 Posts
You can leave the airport, but allow sufficient time to go back through security again and get to your gate.

luci :wave
Ah thanks to both of you! I'm actually only really bothered about getting a bit of fresh air and a nicotine top up!!!
I've never been to the States before and am a little unsure about the security stuff, although the airline warned that time was needed to clear security :)
Hi Darren or anyone else who can help,

We are looking at flights Manchester to Orlando for August and the cheapest prices at the moments seem to be US Airways with a change in Philadelphia. It is a 1hr 55min allowance on the way out and 1 hour on the way home. (never done this before so hoping its enough time).

Flight out from Man to Phil and back is A330-300 is the leg room ok, are there seatback tv`s and just wondering if they feed and water you? (only ever flown direct with virgin before). The internal flights are 757 200 and Airbus A321. Do we have to do the sort our seats out as well?

Also I am very confused about the baggage - which it says you pay for when you do online check in, there are 3 of us and 1st checked bag $20 and 2nd checked bag $30. If we take 4 bags will it be $20 x 3 plus $30 (we won`t all need 2 bags each) also do you pay for bags both ways? I am so confused but don`t want to book till I understand it all.

Many thanks for any help and advice you can give.
Not sure where you are getting the baggage charges from. The first checked bag is free and the second one $50.

From the US Airways site for flights to and from Europe:-

The first bag is free, the 2nd bag is $50 if checked in online or $55 if checked in at the airport and any additional bags (per person) are $100 at the airport.

That is for baggage up to 23kgs. If you are over 23kgs, 23-32kgs, there is an additional charge of $50. There is also a hand baggage allowance of up to 18kgs plus one personal item according to the website, but I believe current restrictions only allow one piece of hand baggage.

Baggage fees are normally each way.

http://www.usairways.com/en-UK/travel_information/baggage_policies/default.html

katiesmum,

US Airways A333's are ok but nothing special. They offer seat back IFE throughout and 31" seat pitch. They are a full fare scheduled airline so drinks (not including alcohol) and meals are complimentoy. More details area available on US AIrways website. Their callsign is Cactus, one of the better ones you hear! The 757/A321 both have 32" seat pitch. Seats are allocated at check-in or on their website.

Darren
As of last November you could reserve seats at the time of booking or go back nto the site and reserve them later. Connection times work with time for a coffee. Seat back entertainment OK food nothing special. Immigration very efficient; from leaving aircraft to departure gate for Tampa 20 mins!
Certainly some diplomatic answers have been given to the question raised - IMHO - the majority of American operators across the pond have over recent years dropped the standard of service considerably and US Airlines in particular are considered (not just by me) one of the worst offenders but there price usually reflects Value For Money - in terms of cost - because they offer basic service and (I am sure Darren can advise) possibly one of the worst seat pitch for long haul scheduled at 31 or 32 inches.

I guess what you pay for.....or to re-phrase that - they are "generally" the cheapest across the pond - and that is for a reason...

Nivsy
nivsy wrote:
possibly one of the worst seat pitch for long haul scheduled at 31 or 32 inches

US Airways economy seat pitch is no different to BA, Virgin and many of the other scheduled airlines.

Darren
Thanks all for your advice, we have booked with them for August.
Hi, I am considering booking US Airways for October MAN to PHL onwards to TPA and as many others on here only ever done the usual direct route to Florida via Virgin, Thomson etc so I have a few questions...

1. If I miss the connection in PHL do they transfer me to next flight free or do I have to pay ?
2. Can you confirm all soft drinks are free still with US Airways on continental flights ?
3. Do all A330-300 offer seat back IFE ?
4. The flights I am considering have the same Flight number (just change of plane) does this mean the 2nd flight will wait for the first one if its late ?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered , I fancy giving them a go especially as its a saving over direct flights of around £1000 for the three of us !!
They will transfer you to another flight or re route you at no extra cost.

Soft drinks are free on all flights.

Seat back IFE on the A330.

Different planes on the domestic sector. They go from a different part of PHL aiport .......and they don't wait
Please can anyone advise if they provide headphones / blankets if needed (especially for flight home).

Thanks
Have just been checking our booking and the times of our flight out from Philadelphia to Orlando has been changed so we only now get 1hr 45 mins for the changeover (providing the flight from Manchester is on time) have to do customs etc and get from Term A west to Term B.

I haven`t confirmed the change yet on-line. Next connecting flight doesn`t got us into Orlando until about 9pm`ish. Would we have enough time if we stay with the flight times they have given.
11.15am Manchester arrive 2.00pm Philadelphia 3.45pm Phil arrive 6.17pm Orlando

Thanks
Should not be a problem. Had a similar connection time last year in PHL. Flight from MAN arrived 55 minutes late but immigration and security were clear and we made it to the departure gate before they started boarding the Florida flight. At some times of the day the the immigration queue for Americans returning home is longer than the one for visitors so make sure you join the correct line. It is a short walk between terminals.
Many thanks busdriver, how will we know which is the correct line for immigration, is it sign posted well? Its just a bit daunting as always flown direct before.
There ps usually an airport employee asking as you enter the immigration hall. Normally, keep to the right of the divided line. If there's a lot of Americans in the line with you then it may be time to check you are in the correct line!
I booked a non-refundable flight for May with US Airways from LAS to SAN. I had to cancel the flight and the website stated that, although I obviously could not have a refund, I could use the money to pay for another flight on another occasion.

I'd like to book another flight for later in the trip, but when it comes to pay I can't see an option to use the balance in this way. Would anyone happen to know how this can be done? I have e-mailed US, but they say it can be up to 7 days to get a response and I don't want to wait that long. And I don't really want to make an expensive international call to their helpline.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated. Many thanks.
Hi and welcome to HT!

Calling may be your best option. Is it not at all expensive to call the US as you can call for 0.5p/min using the prefix numbers HERE

Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.