Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Vaccination Advice
319 Posts
Thanks for the feedback...
8)
the wife has called up the doc and it looks like we all in doc's on mon... :roll:
Fully vaccinated from previous vacations, we have however, been informed to take malaria tablets by our GP. When reading this forum it appears that this is not so. Hubby and I will take them as a precaution, and the fact that they are the same tablets we were prescribed when we went to the Dominican Republic in January.
IMHO it is better to be vaccinated than open to vulnerability.

Kazee
Where are you going Kazee?
Malaria tablets have unpleasant side effect sof their own, and in the main Egyptian holiday areas malaria is not a problem!
Yes Kazee you have absolutely no need to worry about malaria in Egyptian holiday resorts. You obviously have experience of the nasty side effects that Alan mentions from your visit to the Dominican Republic, although malaria is now confined to the Haiti side of the island. Many GPs and health centres are woefully out of date with their information on this point. I had to inform my GP several years ago that malaria was all but eradicated in Egypt as he did not know either! Dont spoil your holiday by taking unnecessary medication!
Thanks peeps for replies, the malaria tablets are what we had to take at the beginning of the year at Dominican republic. As luck had it we had no side effects, we only have to take 2 tablets a week for a period of 7 weeks.
When I met with GP she stated that we need malaria tablets and highlighted that Egypt is known for having mozzies.
Better to be safe than sorry

kazee
Your choice, Kazee - and if you feel happier then take the tablets...

However...
The following comes from the CDC website (Centre for Disease Control in the USA)
Malaria risk area in Egypt: Very limited risk in El Faiyûm area only. No risk in tourist areas, including Nile River cruises. Risk is very limited; therefore, prophylaxis is not recommended.

Because the risk of malaria in North African countries is so limited, taking an antimalarial drug is not recommended. However, travelers should protect themselves from mosquito bites (see below).

For a map of where in the world they recommend precautioons for malaria see here

Alternatively malaria advice specific for Egypt can be found by looking up Netdoctor.co.uk for their advice.
Or the NHS FitForTravel page about malaria in Egypt.
Do you have to have injections to travel to Egypt or is it only recommended.

If only recommended, how many people have them and are they really needed ?
Been to Egypt twice and never had any injections. Obviously it is up to the individual. Enjoy you'll love it.
I have only been told today about needing injections to go to Egypt. I hate needles :cry Who doesn't, but better be safe than sorry I suppose. Glad to hear I can forget about the Malaria tablets and does the polio drink taste as fowl as I have heard, from friends it does?
My partner went for an up to date tetanus a coupler of months back, and our GP told him it was no longer necessary. Surely he will need one now though?
My children are now 8 and 9. Will they still be covered by some their jabs as babies, such as tetanus and polio?
We go in July so should we get these sorted out now?, and somebody said before, that times were changing and you will soon need to pay for these inoculations, please say this is not the case.
Its obviously up to you whether you have the various vaccinations, Beth. I believe that many medical practices make no charge for the jabs and some, like mine, even provide you with a medical "passport" which lists the protection you have received and when it expires.

I have mentioned before, probably somewhere on this thread, that I wonder where the travel insurance companies would stand if having to pay out medical expenses for a condition which could have been prevented, or, lessened in effect, with the appropriate vaccinations? Not a risk I'd take for the sake of a few moments discomfort or even a small expense.

Why not start by enquiring at your doctors surgery? That won't cost you a penny!

Enjoy your holiday! :sun2
Hello carrot. I have been told to make an appointment with the nurse at the doctors, so will do this first then book us all in. I remember when I went to 'Cyprus' I asked my GP if any injections were necessary and she said 'No' for there. Is amazing only an hour on by plane and you need all this.
My friend is going to 'Tunisia' in August and has to have these jabs also. Yet my dad and family went to Tunisia a couple of years back and never mentioned having to go and have any jabs. I wonder if they even thought about asking? In fact I wonder how many people out there holiday without giving it a second thought.
Good question about the Travel Insurance. Though I doubt they would cough up if you hadn't taken the necessary precautions beforehand. Mind you with so many doctors conflicting opinions on here, on what you need, or you don't, how would you ever argue it out with your 'TI' that your doctor told you else wise? :think
how would you ever argue it out with your 'TI' that your doctor told you else wise?

All the more reason to get yourself and the kids covered, Beth.

The amount of places we are able to travel to in this day and age, often at short notice, its got to be sensible to keep up to date with any protection available. I have to say, I certainly wouldn't travel to Tunisia without being up to date with injections! It is ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry!
hi
you don't HAVE to jabs but it is advisable, especially if you are travelling with children. To clarify the cost.........you don't pay anything. Only some countries will not let you in without certificates, its the certificates you pay for not the jabs......this does not apply to Egypt just places such as China. As for Hep B, i don't know if i would bother unless you might be getting very close with the locals! I have mine anyway because i work in a hospital and we have to have it.
It is incorrect to say that you do not pay anything. Some GPs charge and some do not. It is the luck of the draw whether yours will charge you! Mine certainly does, quite a lot!
My GPs are on the NHS, some though are private, is that a reason why some charge?

I am going in a few weeks for my injections again as they have run out, a booster i should imagine. Although some of the injections they told me i didnt need, i still told them i wanted them, and they gave me them anyway. Glad i did, as i got bit by a huge black fish clinging to my thigh, in agony for 2 days and black and blue!
Hi I am up to date with all my jabs. But never have taken malaria for travel to Egypt. Although the jabs are not compulsory and only recommended if anything happened you could find that your insurance is invalid.
Derwentrocker - no, the GPs who charge are NHS not private. You should just count yourself lucky if you do not have to pay and be duly grateful to them!
mehme
you need to report your GP, I work in the NHS and i know that the vaccinations are free on the NHS. He should not be charging you unless you require a certificate. I'm not just some clever sod spouting you a load of bunkum, i am a qualified nurse he has absolutely no right to charge you
This has been discussed many times before on different boards on this forum and I am not alone! Lots of people have said that their GP charges too. As I said it is a matter for each practice to decide. The subject comes up a lot on here.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.