Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
You don't mention where you are staying, Calis, Olu Deniz, Hisaronu or Fethiye itself or when in May. We have been for more than 10 years in May, last 2 weeks and other than last year the weather was perfect every day, lovely and warm, shorts and strappy tops or light dresses and pleasant in the evening. There can be showers earlier in May but it usually sorts itself out mid month. Sometimes a light cardigan is needed if you are sitting outside after the sun goes down. And yes, the sea is wonderful especially at Olu Deniz, it's my favourite place to swim and my favourite time to go. :tup
Hi there

Thank you for your reply!! :)

I am staying from 5th May to the 15th of May at Lykia Botanica Beach and Fun Club near Fethyie so I just used that spot as to explain where we were staying. Have you heard anything about the place? There are mixed reviews :que

I am glad to hear you have returned so many times - sounds promising. I am really looking forward to being in a new culture and country other than Spain and Spanish countries. I hear the turkish people are lovely.

If you have any other tips etc for the area i would love to hear them!

Kind thanks
x :sun2
Weather in May is usually lovely, hot in the day but not scorching, certainly nice enough for skirts and tops and sometimes a bit chilly in the evenings so take a cardi just in case.

You can swim in the sea in May but it will be a bit cold when you first get in.

I'm sure you will love Turkey, the culture is fascinating and the Turkish people really are very friendly and welcoming.

Kedi
as kedi says may is a great month but the weather is changeble very quickly but any local will tell you whats its going to be like last year was beautiful but still had a couple of days of rain,
the sea is lovely but the pools is a no no unless its heated which i doubt, but i am sure you will enjoy your time in fethiye
I have visited Fethiye twice now and both times in May. First time was at the end of May and it was warm enough to go in the water the second time was the Begining of May and it was a bit cool in the water.

The second time we stayed in Ovacik near Hisarounaru, it was the begining of May. The hotel had just opened up and we had a beautiful sunny week. The only thing I wish I had know at the time was that because Ovacik is in a mountainous area we were cold on an evening. In the summer months this would be ideal. If your hotel is at sea level you should be fine.Take a couple of warmer things for the evening.

Fethiye is a beautiful place to stay, it is very Turkish. Don`t just stay in your hotel visit the towns nearby. The rock tombs are a must. Calis beach is a great place for a day out go by water taxis is a trully amazing trip. 12 Island boat rip is a great day out, book it at the waterfront in Fethiye.

Oula Deniz is a fantastic beach, go there by dolomus and sit and watch the sky divers.

I am flying out tomorrow to Marmaris, I will give you an update on the weather when I get back if it will help you.
Thank you very much everyone!! I certainly plan to get about and I want to visit Fethyie and see the tombs and butterfly island and Jeep Safari and the Lagoon and all sorts. Ive been reading up before my trip to get excited and now I cant wait.
You have given me some great information.. Thanks everyone.

x
I'm going to the same hotel two days before you but only for a week. I hope the weather is glorious as it's my first holiday in 6 years and I definitely need to feel some heat :tongue
Oh great another brit I take it? :) Excellent, i think the ratio at the hotel of brits is really small compared to turks and russians but no big deal as long as we can all have a laugh together. Not heard that many good reviews for the Hotel but we are going with an open mind, it was cheap as chips so going to just enjoy it no matter what. :cheers

I looked at a website that tells you a 14 day forcast of Fethyie and apparently its rain on 4th. :yikes SORRRRY but its due to be very nice for our first few days - so get ready for some glorious weather mid week :sun2
I hope to see you down at the beach disco at nights to liven it up! ;)

xx
Yes, flying from Bristol on the 3rd. I've read some good reviews but some awful ones too. I take it all with a pinch of salt though, as long as the room is clean and comfortable and the food of a reasonable standard I shall be happy. We only paid £600 all in for the two of us which I think is great value. What's the website you look at for the weather? Hopefully any rain will soon pass and it could be wrong of course ;)
Hi there

They wouldnt let me post the link.. its accu weather or someting it allows you to see 15 days ahead. The 2nd 3rd and 4th was rain and from 5th onwards its sunny and in mid 20's but Sunday is a thunderstorm :(

Sorry I couldnt be of more help, i wrote a bit back to you on the other post but they disallowed it.

Hope you have a great holiday :cheers

x
Woo hoo....great weather at the end of May! Excellent news as I fly out on the 15th May. Thx guys for the info.
:sun2
Sometimes May can be brill in Turkey but it is not a guarantee. In the last 5 years a couple of Mays have had a lot of rain . One of my mates went for just 1 week in May to Hisa and it rained all week. I think it was mid May or near the end too. :( May is a bit of a gamble. It can be hot and sunny but it can be raining. I think June onwards is a dead cert for sun.
:tup gb
but it can be raining in calis and not in hisaronu or ovacik or vice versa or just raining in fethiye and not in the other resorts it varies where the rain clouds hit the mountain its still bettter than being stuck here lol less stress :sun2
I've experienced rain in Turkey at May - in 3 different years. So it can be unpredictable. I remember the week in May when it rained for about 5 days non-stop, but as I was living out there then it didn't bother me, but I felt awfully sorry for the people who were there on a week's holiday.

Some of the locals in the Fethiye region said they thought the seasons were actually changing.

But you could be lucky and have fantastic weather! I would think the latter part of May is probably safer.

Strawberry
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.