Greece - Rhodes Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Rhodes.
hi all...havn't been on for a while and...yes,i know,i promised the photos would be on but still havn't got round to doing it yet...i've put them on facebook but thats about it....a quick one for tracy....hope you are well and would love to see your photos....is it poss i could send you my email address by pm?????...just a little peek would be fab!!!!...also...for twopigs...igot marrie dlast august and booked with first choice. we stayed in pefkos,married at st pauls bay..we booked the basic wedding package with them then i organised everything else myself...i found there prices for any extras ridiculously steep. we booked the restaurant when we got there..although did a bit of research before hand and had some menues emailed to me...but we found that it wasn't a problem to book on arrival...very laid back....and much much cheaper..think we paid about 25 euros per head!!..took my own flowers..and very fortunate to have my best buddy do the photos...if you need and help or advice about leagal stuff etc just let me know and i will try to help,good luck and happy planning, sue xx :)
Hi Sue
My wedding photos are on the same site as yours. I am Tracy Gibbon From the west midlands go on there and i will add you as a friend, then you can have a look. I want to see yours too.
Tracy
Hi Everyone, I've been reading all the "Weddings in Rhodes" posts over the last few weeks and although I feel a little more educated on the whole thing there are still some bits and pieces i'm unsure of. We are planning to marry at St Pauls bay at the beginning of May 2010 and we have earmarked the Lindos Mare as the hotel we would like to stay at due to them offering a Jnr suite and the excellent reviews I have came across on this and other sites. My concern is that as the hotel is set on a hillside I wonder if this will present difficulties for one of my guests who is elderly and would have difficulty with too many steps etc?.

We were also hoping to have our reception in the Lindos Mare, I imagine the easiest way to arrange this and get advice on pricing per head etc would be to contact the hotel directly?

One last thing...honest, I came across a few posts recommending Karen, a wedding planner from Lindos weddings. I'm sure some of you will be familiar with Karen as she seems very popular on this site. My Fiancee is not convinced this is what she wants though as she feels it takes the personal touch away from organising it ourselves. I have read some tour operators offer similar services and wondered if the people out there could share their experiences with us (Good or Bad).

Thanks
Hi Smido,

welcome to the site and congratulation on your forthcoming wedding!

Lindos Mare is a beautiful hotel. Yes its on a hillside, but they have lifts to take you to each floor to get to rooms, reception, restaurant, pool etc.

The hotel has their won wedding coordinator. We spoke with her the year b4 our wedding and although we found her charming, she didnt have the contacts or personal touch as Karen & Laurence at Lindos Weddings had.

Regarding doing it all through a tour operator, they wont give you your wedding date until you get there or very close to your departure date. Lindos weddings gave us our date a year in advance. They know and are friends with all the local florists, make up, hair design, musicians, dancers, photographers etc. They are British also, so there's no communication/language barriers.

Lindos Weddings were the first wedding planners in that area. I believe they are the most respected and reliable people to have organise your big day.

I can understand your fiancee not wanting the organising taken away from her, but its quite hard not knowing the area, reception venues, florists etc. You will both advise the wedding planners exactly what you want, and their job is to get that for you...without all the hassle. A wedding is hassle enough without there being a language barrier.

Also, many people think the wedding planners will charge you more for certain services...but Lindos Weddings dont. They dont earn any commission on the services they get for you. The only money they get is the wedding planner fee which is advertised on the website.

We went with them as we wanted a stress free holiday and wedding, and Lindos Weddings did more than deliver. They were amazing!! We had about 4 wedding coordinators on our wedding day. They only do 1 wedding per day as they insist on giving the wedding couple and guests their full attention. Other wedding planners and tour operators have a number of weddings each day.

Its nice to feel special and important to them...and thats exactly how they make you feel.

I wish you both lots of luck and success in your future as man and wife.

Any questions, you can pm me your email address and I'll be happy to help.

xx
Hi Smido

Again congratulations on your wedding plans!!

Im getting married in St. Pauls Chapel in May this year and thought id let you know about my wedding planning experience using a tour operator rather than a wedding coordinator based out there.

We have booked through Thomas Cook, and at first after reading this forum i started to stress and wonder if i had done the right thing booking through them but i can honestly say i have found them nothing but helpfull, we are staying at the Lindos Mare for 2 weeks and all our other guests are staying in various hotels around Lindos. I am really looking forward to staying at this hotel and like you have heard nothing but good reviews about it. From what i have heard its just on the outskirts of Lindos but right next to a beach. I like the idea of this as it means me and my h2b will have some time on our own away from other guests.
I looked into having our reception at the hotel but as we are the only ones staying there it made more sense for us to have it near the centre. You should email Efi the hotel wedding coordinator, you can get the address etc from the hotel website, she is so helpfull. From what i remember it was about 50 euro's per person. We have decided to go to a restaurant called Byzantino, we have booked direct with them via their web site. Their menu's range from 20 - 30 euros, when we arrive in Lindos we will go and sample the menus and make any amendments etc to the menu, they will also arrange the entertainment if you want any (i think we are going to go for greek dancers, lol) and do the table decorations etc.

I have noticed that somebody has said you dont get your date until you fly out to Lindos, that isnt true (you only get the date in resort if you are getting married in Rhodes town), we got our date on November 1st 08 so it is plenty time to arrange things, we dont however get the time until we arrive there, but this isnt a problem as ive been told things are so much more laid back out there in respect of planning things, you can arrange things in only a few days unlike over here, lol. You do get a coordinator/rep in resort who can arrange hair/make up, flowers, cake, reception etc etc once you arrive but i have found it quite easy to do most of this myself and it has worked out quite cheap. Just put what ever it is that you are looking for e.g reception venues, salons etc into a search engine and there are usually loads that are listed.

Me and my partner have a budget of 6k for absolutely everything, including the reception back at home and 2 week holiday and have so far come well under budget. We will have between 25 and 30 guests with us out there.

As i havent used a wedding planners i cannot recommend which one would be best for you to use but i can let you know that i havent had any problem using Thomas Cook.

Once i get back i will let you know how we have got on over there and post lots and lots of pictures but if there is anything that you want to ask me then i will be only too happy to help.

Hope this helps you

Claire xx
Hello, I am getting married at Lindos Bay on 8th May this year and need someone for hair and make up at a reasonable cost ... does anyone know of anyone?
Hi all.....tweeties in a mental muddle again....going out to sons wedding middle of August....he is getting married in the little chapel on the beach...which quite a lot of you on here are doing....Im taking 2 of his brothers with me....they are 26 and 14....was going to let younger one just wear his suit pants shirt and tie which he has not long been bought for another wedding...just dont bother taking the jacket...which is what he also wanted to do..........then I realised after a good read of all your posts how hot it will be on the beach....navy with grey strpes just dont seem right some how....so need advice....what would be suitable for very fashion concious teenager...he is quite tall ...takes mens medium /regular leg and size 9.5 shoes....really dont know what shoes for wedding either...cant see him wearing sandals....other brother wont have a clue either....so spill the beans about what is the latest atire for male guests on the beach....
Me ...Im just panicking about the heat...but got a few ideas...like need a dress I can hide ice packs in....and a bra 2 cup sizes bigger to get a few more in....accsesories will be big enough hand bag to hold 5 inch battery fan and a spray bottle....and need a big hat and an umberella to keep sun of me head....anyone got any good sunstroke remedies I can carry in my bag as well....my outfit is last of my worries.....Im really exited about the wedding...just need to get my act together
this is my last attempt to reply [i keep loosing the post] so short and sweet..
lightweight trousers [cotton or linen best] colour immaterial]
short sleeved collard shirt again cotton [forget the tie]
cotton socks and skiddies
lightweight shoes [not the dam great clodhoppers most youngsters seem to like]

the same principle applies to those of the female agenda [and those not sure] wear natural cotton/linen fibre clothes these will absorb perspiration and allow it to evaporate slowly giving a cooling effect, synthetics do not absorb and make you feel hot sweaty,sticky etc...

yasus
wizard
Thanks wizard....think it will take a good few shopping trips to find something he likes and fits the bill
We have just said to our guests that the dress code is smart casual, as long as they dont turn up looking like they are about to go sun bathing then we dont really mind. Its not very formal our wedding and my h2b isnt wearing a suit jacket on the day. He as well as the ushers are going to be in black trousers, white shirt, cravat and wait coat.
For yourself, you could get a very nice floaty summer dress???

Claire xx
Thanks Claire....read old posts early last year (son was going to get married last year) where someone said it was a bit funny when the next wedding were all wearing the same as thier party....all the men were wearing black pants and white short sleeved shirts. , no ties...but trends change especially with the teenagers....black pants and white shirt would be an easy option for me....and with cravat really distinguished on the groom and ushers.....but dont think right for my sons...are you gettin married on beach....hope all goes to plan and have a lovely day and a great future together
Hi all...problem solved :D ....was a shirt I spotted on one of the sites the 14yr old gets most of his clothes off sorted it out ... ideal for beach wedding...and found some linen jeans to go with it...older lad liked it too... just need to wait for shirts to come so we can decide on brown or stone jeans... they both liked it so much theve decided to wear the same outfit...just need to sort shoes ...sandals would be best but not sure if acceptable for wedding...both would look fine with the jeans...and lads have plenty of time to decide
I'm sure sandals would be fine Tweetie Pie, you can get smarter styles. I find Aldo normally has a good selection on men's sandals and a bit more fashionable than Clark's and the like!
Thanks for advice....I am one of those people who cant leave any thing till last minute...and once I know I need to sort something I worry untill its done...then I can relax and look forward to things...and think solved what I'm wearing now as well...so wont be long before I'm really looking forward to wedding...going to wear a kaftan...fancy a muted red one...but wondering if red has any significance in greece or at weddings...know its classed as lucky in china
By the way....are there any rules about throwing confetti at the church on the beach...or anywhere else
Hi all....any one know any nice Greek wedding customs...that would be possible to do....also any significance regarding type or colour of flowers sent to people....any customs about what a future or new mother in law gives to her new daughter in law ect....hope weve got some local members who will educate us....
From what i have heard, you cannot throw confetti actually outside st pauls chapel but you can outside the gates?!?! Obviously i dont know until i get there (not long now, yey!!!!!!!!!!). Ill let you know once im bace, he he :cheers
hi all...not been on for ages so just been having a catch up...about confetti throwing....yes it is true that you can't throw it untill you are out of the main area of st pauls chapel...just as you leave the steps....however......we hadn't been made aware of this so my guests got very giddy and confetti was everywhere...the the gentleman who performed the ceremony told us...slapped wrists for all!!! hehe.....i wanted to ask "bubs".....the next time you are on sight...a while back you pm'd me with details of a lady that could translateand certify my marriage certificate.is it possible for you to let me have them again...yes,iknow...still havn't done it but want to get it sorted in next 2 weeks if poss. it would be greatly appreciated.
hi claire,how are you???...love sue xx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.