Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
is a jewellers called the turkish eye in ichmeler any good. :D
It could just be that I'm not as good as the professionals (Turks) at bartering, but I have never got an amazing bargain at the jewelers in Turkey. I buy some for my wife every year and then find we could have bought similar for the same price at home.

If you are intending to purchase a big piece then its worth looking at prices here before you travel and then aim to pay about 2/3 of that. And although you may buy a piece which may appear to be similier in price here, theres more gold in the pieces bought there
£7-8 per oz is a good price guide for gold- the gold centres that certain trips stop you off at will start with prices about £15 per oz. Ask for the weight with the price, do a rough calculation and then offer half if the first price is anywhere near £15-16 per oz. S

Do the same with carpets at the factories they take you to. Offer about half and be prepared (eventually) to go just a bit higher. Walk away and show total loss of interest if they don't come down to near your offer price. Too many folk fall for the charm and pay the asking price - a lot of this then goes as commission to the salesman. Be firm - be determined - and don't give in too easily!
hi everyone I'm going to gumbet in September and I'm after a gold watch can someone recommend a jewelers to use, in the uk they range from £350 to £500 so hoping to get a good deal in turkey :D
My advice to all you ladies out there would be to take ANY odd or broken jewellery out there and see if you can get a discount for the scrap value. My wife had a broken "Ratners" type bracelet, a couple of odd ear rings and a thin chain. Price offered here -£18. Discount given in Turkey, - £55.
Yes I can recommend Turkish Eye Jewellers. Its next to the Magic Carpet shop. Simon is the jewellers name. He is very good.
Carol
i would like to buy my partner an eternity ring can anyone tell me of a place to buy one in bodrum and what i might pay
My husband and I, sounds dead posh hey, bought our wedding rings from Sona and Murat 2 years ago for a total of £330. His ring bought for £120 was valued, at home, as £350 and mine, bought for £220 as it had 8 diamonds in it, was valued at over £850.

We went back last year and he bought me an engagement ring for just over £650. As this contained 1 round diamond of over 1/2 carat and 2 baguettes of over 1/3 carat each we thought we had a bargain. We got home and :shock: , what a bargain. The ring was valued at over £2,300!!

We are hoping to go back again this year and get some necklaces as at Murats prices we can't go wrong.

Well Done Sona and Murat
Hi champagnes1

We have been praising Murat and Sona for a few years now and not just because they are good friends of ours but for the reasons you have just said

Glad to here someone else are getting the benefit of their great prices
Well done

A&L
Hi Stitchy,

There are loads and loads and loads of jewellers in Bodrum (they get a lot of custom from the cruise ships that dock there). Personally, I like Mert jewellers - its on the main shopping street running from the harbour to the Halikarnas disco. Its a small shop, next door to another jeweller from what I remember.

Best idea is to look for something your wife likes here, price it up, and then compare prices over there. Like others have said, you should be able to get something lovely much cheaper than here. My wedding ring cost a third of the price it would have here in the Uk. Haggle for your gold too - its expected.

Elaine
Hi We are going to Sarigerme near Dalaman on Monday. Where is the nearest good jewellers to there please?

Thanks

Jo Jo
can anybody recommend a good jeweller in Olu Deniz please
I bought and 18 carat gold ring with 33 Diamonds. Worth £400 got it for £270. Just received it back from Jewellers for valuation and I'm pleased £800.
I bought it at Turkish Eye Jewellers. Simon is your man. I can recommend him in Icmeler.
As a first timer to Turkey, I was most reluctant to barter for goods. I did see a really nice plain pair of earings in a jewellers so I asked the price. The earings were weighed and I was informed that they were 65YTL. After being shown lots of others, I reverted back to the original pair "what is the best price? on this pair?" I asked. They were weighed again 85YTL I was told, but you can have them for 65. At this stage I lost patience and left the shop.
My daughter was given a 20% discount voucher from a restaurant for the jewellers next door. After refusing to offer anything off she presented the discount voucher to the jeweller, he refused to accept this. She took the voucher back to restaurant, saying that she would not need it, as it had been refused in the jewellers. The restaurant owner went back to the jeweller with her and insisted she got the discount. In the end it was agreed, but with much protest from the jeweller. This behaviour leaves one feeling, a bit put out by all the hassle.
Altisu, can recommend OZ Gold in Hisaranou. he has a shop there and a shop in Fethiye so if he hasnt got what you want he will have it brought up for you the next day.
:?: I need advice .... we are possibly booking a last minute holiday to Icmeler travelling this Friday. The apartments we may be using are the Castle Apartments, any feedback on them as there is nothing on holidays uncovered?
Speedy reply appreciated as we won't bother if they are rubbish.
Hi champagnes,

You'd be better starting another topic with your request about the Castle apartments - it'll be read by more people then.

Elaine
Is there a decent jewellers near the Mehtap hotel in Marmaris? Not looking for anything too expensive, but would like to buy something nice for myself anyhow.

It might be an idea for someone to gather together the list of recommended jewellers and locations from this post and sticky them on the forum, so theyre easier to find??
Altisu try Raw Diamond in olu on the main drag near the beach and next to the "north to defend" bar (where they got that name I dont know) jeweller is APO.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.