Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
It may have been the only major delay of the season on Ncl/Dlm route, but it certainly wasn't XL's only major delay of the season from Newcastle. I suffered a 10 hour delay with XL Ncl/Faro in May 2007.
Aww Bertie, 10 hours :shock: what a nightmare. I`m lucky i`ve only ever been delayed for 3 hours outbound.
Maybe XL are being stopped altogether from Newcastle.
My wife and I along with two friends of ours booked to fly to Barbados on Friday 5th October 2007 with Excel Airways. The cost of the flights almost seemed too cheap at the time of booking. They were indeed.

When we arrived in Gatwick we where told that we only had two of the four extra legroom seats we had booked and that there was a one and a quarter hour delay. This turned out to be two hours because the plane battery was discharging and had to be replaced. At that point we could not have made up what was to happen on the return flight. What return flight? It never actually got off the ground.

On Friday 12th we arrived at Barbados airport and boarded the plane as planned. Now I don't know for sure if it was the same plane we had travelled out on but I suspect it was. We sat there for two hours. After an hour or so they told us there was a 'technical problem' and the engineer was looking at it. The pilot then explained the fault in a little more detail. I'm not engineering minded so it passed me by really. When the second hour was up we where told that the plane needed a new part and we would be found hotels for the night. We where lucky and managed to be first in the queue to be allocated and got a nice place to stay. At this point we were thinking 'oh well, we can't complain about another night on the island.' It was a Friday so nothing was spoiling in terms of getting back for work. After collecting luggage we were at the hotel by 8.30pm.

The following day we were transported back to the airport at 5pm. After check in we heard a rumour that the plane still wasn't repaired. This turned out to be true. We sat for five hours repeatedly being told of another hour's delay due to a 'technical problem' and that the engineers were working tirelessly to fix it. This in itself worried me a little. It turned out they had been working for 24 hours solid. Why on earth did they make us sit in the departure lounge when they knew the plane could not fly?

We were getting some information from an airport member of staff who was pretty good but there was no sign at all of anyone from Excel. At 10.25pm the aircrew ran 'out of hours' but this made no difference as the plane still wasn't fixed. The flight was cancelled. This was actually a relief to some who were getting more than a little concerned about the safety of the plane.

To the captain's credit he came out to speak to us all and explained the problem was with a back up system that automatically restarts the engines if they stall. He said that while this was highly unlikely he would not take any risks with safety. Reassuring in the circumstances. He had also expressed concern about bringing passengers to the airport in the knowledge the plane wasn't fixed. He said he'd been overruled by operations in London. As you can imagine the departure lounge was a tense place and tempers were becoming very frayed.

We were sent to another hotel for the night. This time it was not so nice and by the time we got there and checked in it was 1.30am. At this point the extra time on the island was not so welcome.

The following day we made our own enquires by telephone to Excel. A number of options were on the cards. They still hoped to fix the plane. They thought about bringing in another plane from Trinidad. They mentioned booking us onto another airline. We persisted in calling them every so often and eventually found out that we had been booked onto Virgin Atlantic to get home. We opted to fly to Manchester instead of Gatwick as we live in the north east and we'd missed our connecting flights by more than two days.

Virgin were excellent and very accommodating. When we arrived into the UK approximately 52 hours late there was an Excel rep waiting for us. Thankfully only around a dozen people had opted for Manchester. The rep waiting at Gatwick, if there was one, must have been mobbed. She was very good and could not be more helpful. Although at this point I think she had little choice. We explained we'd missed connections and she booked and paid for an airport taxis mini bus to bring us home at a cost of some £280.

We were all due back at work on the Monday but obviously missed it. Just as well we have understanding employers otherwise it might have been suggested this was a tall story. I assure you it is not. This all happened.

The result? We will think very very carefully about using Excel again. In a sense we were lucky. The major delay was on the way home so it extended our holiday. If it had been the other way around we'd have been very unhappy. Worth bearing in mind if you are thinking about using Excel.
The rumours are rife that XL will not fly out of NCL in 2008 and have been "kicked out" of the airport even.
Can anyone confirm?????

Robby :wink:
XL have not been "kicked out" of NCL, there have been rumours of them pulling out but I believe they have now decided to continue flying out of NCL in Summer 2008.
XL expands from Luton next summer

XL Airways is to start serving Egypt and run additional flights to Cyprus from Luton airport next summer.

A total of 10 weekly flights to Larnaca, Paphos and Sharm-El-Sheikh will operate from May 23.

The airline expects to carry more than 30,000 passengers on its Luton services during summer 2008.

Larnaca will be served five times a week, Paphos three times a week and Sharm-El-Sheikh twice a week.

The airline's managing director Martin Lock said: "We took the decision to introduce services from London Luton to Larnaca, Paphos and Sharm El Sheikh in response to huge customer demand from the North London area."

With permission from Travelmole
Hi, I and 3 others are booked to fly in April 08 from Gatwick to Sharm el Sheikh. Two of our party have booked extra legroom seats for £69 each return.

Will it be possible if we check in early to be seated in the row behind them or do we need to pre-book seats?

The reason i ask is that this year with Thomsonfly we were told on the transfer coach, that check in staff are unable to change you seat number as Thomson arrange these are few days before your departure.

Thanks in advance
Was about to book with xl again and saw the little box asking if I had a promotion code. I looked at the weekend as soon as we came back and our flights came up at £670 looked again yesterday and they had gone up to £770!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone find any better? It's for 2 adults east mids - Tenerife South 19.12.08 - 02.01.09
Or where can I get a promotion code from?
thanks in advance :)
Has anyone else noticed that XL only allow 15kilos of free luggage? I'm sure it used to be 20kilos?? You can pay an extra £15 to take another 5kilos bringing it up to 20kilos but I think this is disgusting, I'm sure alot of people won't realise this until they check in. Our cases are usually around the 17 or 18 kilo mark but I don't fancy paying another £15 just for a couple of kilos, there are 5 of us and we usually take 4 cases, now I guess we will have to take 5 just to avoid paying excess baggage, stupid really isn't it??
Thomas Cook already only offer a standard 15kg, and have done for a while now, and so XL are just probably bringing themselves in line with the other tour ops and airlines. It seems nowadays that 15kg is going to be the new standard weight allowance.
Do you think XL would combine the weight allowing us to take one less suitcase perhaps?
Anyone know the latest promotion code for Xl .Thanks
Twinkletoes - thanks for that - I booked my flight for September this year back in May and didn't think twice about the luggage allowance - it's been 20kg for as long as I've been using XL....now trying to figure out how to take 18 days worth of kit in 15kg!
I see XL are not flying to Thessalonika or offering holidays to Halkidiki this year from any UK airport. That'll hit the resorts hard.
We are travelling to Hurgdada with XL aitlines on 18th April. Would anybody not what plane that would be on and any info around seating plan. Apparently you can book your seats before you go (at a cost) but seat numbers are only allocated at checkin. Flight XLA7110
Kenp,

Is that a Manchester departure? It's highly likely to be a Boeing 737-8Q8. XL don't publish seat plans, but they are configured 3-3 with 29" seat pitch. There are 189 seats onboard.

Darren
Do XL include inflight meals. We are flying with these in August , when we originally booked was told yes they were included, but our flight codes end with a V and i'm sure that i have read somewhere that means there is no meal . Am i just dreaming or have i really read it ?

Lynne .
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.