Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Do those spirit prices include a mixer or is that extra? I been loads of times but not thought about it before.

Thanks Shirley, those are helpful
Hi,
Yes I'm glad to say the mixer came free. I usually drank brandy and lemonade. The strength varied from bar to bar. In some places you had a job to taste the brandy but in others it was VERY strong ;)
It all points firmly towards the best route being to drink cocktails. Pretty much constantly. :cheers
If it wasn't for the calories I would drink nothing other than those ice cream cocktails!
It all points firmly towards the best route being to drink cocktails. Pretty much constantly.

Sounds good but you can't be sure how much juice/mixer goes into them and besides they're not cheap!
if you dont ask for local brands you will get import drinks which are very expensive but also olu is always more expensive than ovacik, hisaronu,fethiye
but tourism has put the prices up as well as goverment tax the busier the more expensive it seems to get, this is anywhere around the globe :sun2
if you dont ask for local brands you will get import drinks

As stated above, the local spirits were around 8TL, so not cheap either.
Wow. I might as well stay at home with those prices!!!

We went out for a meal with relatives down visiting us in Cornwall last night.
We went to the Crumplehorn hotel in Polperro, which is well known for being a bit 'pricey'.
I had 'surf and turf ', a 12oz Surloin steak with about 10 giant prawns, served with chips, peas and salad.
It cost just £12-00!!! All 4 of us ate a main meal,(including fresh crab, and local fish which are always more expensive) and 3 of us had dessert. The food bill came to £55-40p
Drinks were also around the same prices as in Turkey!!

What with the worry of whether you'll get there or not, due to airport strikes,holiday firms going bust,ash clouds and volcano's,
and the crippling rises in prices, no wonder people are holidaying in good ol' U.K.!!!
I'm so stressed out, worrying if I'm going to ever get there with one thing or another, I'm beginning to wish
I'd booked a fortnight in Blackpool!!!

Shame about the weather though :rofl
I deviated from Greece to turkey this year with the hope of spending less, due to the pound/Euro situation. After comparing lots of prices with Helen T, it seems this was a mistake. The cost of everything we compared (food and drinks) were CHEAPER in Lassi, kefalonia than in Olu Deniz, Turkey. I was warned that Turkey was no longer cheap but I still expected it to be cheaper than Kefalonia.
We've just come back from Icemeler, and the prices we got were pretty much the same as your list above..

Unless you went into a 'local' restaurant, then we got a meal + drink for 4 of us for 41Lira!
Basic food, but a lot better on the wallet!!

Cocktails were between 9-15 TL - most buy one get one free until 11pm

My wife has cider and this was 8L a bottle! :yikes ouch

Efes is cheaper than pop
:que
Efes is cheaper than pop

Unless you buy a can at Dalaman airport where it set us back 14 TL :really

Wish we'd had the free cocktail offer in Olu. 9-15TL for two doesn't seem too bad.
We found Olu Deniz to be a bit on the expensive side, and I could not drink the local Efes beer as it did not agree with me.
The food is fantastic, but the resort is too commercial for me, English breakfasts and karaoke bars everywhere.
The spirits and cocktails were generally on the weak side, apart from at the Buzz bar who gave good measures.
ohh don't get me started on Dalaman Airport!!

KFC regular sized meal 23TL!!!

We had to have childrens meals as we ran out of money!!
(And they were 18TL)
We've chosen to go to Turkey rather than Lassi in Kefalonia too shirley h.
It was a big decision for us, as we hated our first visit to Turkey, but adore Kefalonia,
but thought it would be cheaper to go to Turkey. Oh well, you live and learn!! :que
Hi Pandy when are you going and what resort are you staying at? I think Olu is one of the hottest resorts because of its position between the mountains which shelters it from any breeze.
We are actually staying in Ovacik, at the Perdikia hills hotel. Going September 11th-25th.
We ARE looking forward to our holiday, but I would have preferred to go back to Kefalonia,
just thought Turkey would have been cheaper. Never mind, Lassi next year,
UNLESS we absolutely adore the Fethiye region.
we have always fancied kefalonia but the euro has put us off i must admit,i might give it a whirl now.Turkey is still reasonable food wise and the food overall is excellent,trips can be found at reasonable prices too,BUT if you like a tipple then it will cost baileys/ameretto/jack daniels and the like are just a rip off .Bar owners blame taxes but in some areas longstanding repeat customers bring bottles in from duty free as presents,wine isnt the best in the world by a long stretch but is around £12 a bottle and £3 a glass and when drank as a spritzer some places use optics and serve as they would spirits.My closest friend and husband used to come to turkey yearly but for the past two years have been going to lindos and although the food granted is more expensive the alcohol is slightly cheaper.
however pandy i am sure you will enjoy olu ,i havent really ever heard a bad report about the place,if kefalonia is like i imagine it to be then i would suggest you give hisaronu a wide birth as i dont think it would be up your street(neon lights,all you can eat chineese,semi naked boys dancing on bars,loud music etc etc)Fethiye is ok it is more of a large working town than a resort and the marina/bazaar area make for a nice walk.if you can get there i think a dolmus will probally leave fethiye bus station try and get to gocek it is lovely.However having never been to kefalonia i must admit my intrigue with the place is based on THAT book,and ibet all you die hard kefalonia addicts are sick of people like us lol!!!
Kefalonia IS gorgeous idris, if you prefer a quieter, and more scenic place, rather than hustle and bustle.
And Yes, we visited Sami, where they filmed most of Captain Correli's mandelin.(my favourite film) It's best not to mention
it to the locals, as they get a bit fed up with hearing about it!!! A truly gorgeous place though.
Try and visit on the days when they celebrate their saint's day. 16th August and 20th October, but only for one day.
http://www.kefaloniatravel.com/kefalonia_cephalonia_churches_museums.html
It's a real eye opener when they drag the poor old dead guy around the streets in a silver sidan chair!!!
But a great day for celebrations. We were there just by chance in October as we booked a late holiday.
We had no option but to join in the celebrations, as all the shops and restaurants close for the day anyway.

We HAVE heard the rumours about Hisaranu, and unfortunately, staying at Ovacik, we can't really avoid it
we are going with an open mind, and we've pre-booked lots of boat trips so we're not around too much.
However, we are going to enjoy the experience, no matter what. I might even get up and do a Karaoke turn,
you never know!!!!
Not knowing Turkey well, we rely on people letting us know the nicest places to visit.
We have heard before that Gocek is lovely, so we will go and investigate. Thanks for the tip. :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.