Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
hi
i have had a letter yesterday to say i must pay £80 fuel surcharge
with custom flights is it worth me phoning them to complain i dont know the difference beetween agean flights or custom
help :)
first time i have booked this way never again
ps travel republic say its not there fault
any info please
thanks ned
Scottishmum, my family is also flying out of Glasgow on the 28th June. Where are you staying?

ned hughes, not sure, but check the abta website and they will tell you if custom flights are allowed to add surcharges. Is your invoice from aegean or custom? is the plane you are flying on an Onur Air one? Try finding out before phoning as they will just fob you off and say you have to pay! Good Luck!
Scottishmum / jejo ... perhaps you could continue discussion via PM, to avoid this thread from straying off topic.

Many thanks
David :wave
ned hughes I just looked on the custom flights web site and they are ATOL protected, but don't seem to be members of ABTA. I then checked with ABTA and they are not members, therefore don't seem to need permission to add surcharges. Typical! another company adding charges left, right and centre when joe public are paying enough! I would still try phoning and try the softly softly approach as they might be surprised that someone is not angry and shouting at them and be more receptive to calmness. Good Luck!
i have tried to contact aegan but no joy ,have been trying hol4 u still no joy as i booked my flights last october an trying to get this surcharge sorted out . a tour operater said if you dont pay they can sell your seat on the flight ;( dont know if this is true ) :que but getting a bit fed up with this phone glued to my ear. :yikes
Scottishmum / jejo ... perhaps you could continue discussion via PM, to avoid this thread from straying off topic.

No prob David.

Myra, are your flights with Onur Air? If so, you will have to pay your surcharge I'm afraid. There's no getting out of it now. If your flights are with another airline then yes you probably can get out of them.

Have you tried emailing them? I got quick responses using contact@aegeanflights.com

Hope this helps.

C x
Hi All,

Just been reading up about these surcharges, if you look on Aegean flights under the booking conditions this is what is detailed.

http://www.aegeanflights.com/Booking-Conditions.asp

So what price have people been paying Aegean if they have already paid in full ?

klm
  • Edited by David 2008-05-30 20:15:16
    Post edited due to copyright infringement, weblink inserted to replace quoted text. The information referred to can be found in Section 2 of the webpage linked to.
Hi All
Reading Neds post we too were asked for 2x£20 additional fuel charge costs from Custom Flights.
We booked 2 flights to Dalaman for our daughter and friend to travel on 11th July.We booked the flights through Travel Republic on 29th April and received letter last week on extra charges.On original booking they had already added £35 x 2 = £70 for fuel charges.With added on ones they now amount to £55 for each person.I have since looked at flights on offer through the same company and not one shows fuel costs this high.Highest I have seen is around the£40 mark.Talk about feeling ripped off.I have no problem with paying extra if it is fair across the board but there is also no option to cancel because if I did I could rebook similar flight with them cheaper.We have reluctantly paid the extra to Travel Republic as we were on the deadline and am now sending complaint to Custom Flights demanding a fair and reasonable explanation as to how it amounts to £55 per person on these flights to Dalaman and not on others even though it is same airline.Thomson.
Will keep you posted when we receive reply.
Regards Dave
we have flights booked to sharm in october through travel republic.the balance is due 13th july.they are xcel flights and the provider is freedom flights.can anyone tell me if i pay the balance now,can the new fuel charges still be added on?my invoice just shows £40 per person air passenger duty at the moment.i rang travel republic and the girl i spoke to seemed unsure.
thanks
I'd have a look at their T&CS.
thanks fiona.whos' t&c should i look at- travel republic,freedom flights or xcel.i'm not sure who would be responsible.
hi we have booked a package holiday for june 2009 and ive just checked the invoice and its got on it APD charge of £237 - is this the updated charge or will there be another????
bushbaby- if you booked with Travel Republic it would be their T&Cs. Many companies will have a clause about surcharges.
hi fiona i have looked at their t&cs and can't find anything on surcharges or fuel supplements.i spoke to them and the girl checked with her supervisor and told me that they can add them on even if you have paid in full,as the cost is passed of to TR.i looked on freedom flights and it said in their t&c-your confirmation/invoice has the basic price which includes a)fare b)uk airport duty c)security levy d)taxes together with any applicable fuel supplement is the amount you have to pay.as there is no fuel supplement on my invoice i am unsure if they can add it on after i have paid it.i checked the flight on TR and there is no fuel supplent but if you put in the flight on freedom flights there is a £30 per passenger charge. so i am still none the wiser.i wonder if i should pay my invoice today and see what happens.
mdaly1 wrote:
hi we have booked a package holiday for june 2009 and ive just checked the invoice and its got on it APD charge of £237 - is this the updated charge or will there be another????

Hi mdaly1

This thread is about fuel surcharges. I think what you have paid is APD (Gordon Browns so called 'Green Tax' :roll: ). This is nothing to do with Fuel surcharges. These are charges companys reserve the right to pass on to customers if there is a huge hike in the price of fuel as is the case at present.

I suppose its possible Virgin could hit you with a fuel surcharge at some point between now and when you travel, but you will need to look at their terms and conditions in the back of their brochure.

There is a 10 page thread on APD which explains

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=88438&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=APD&start=180

Doe :wave
that much to be green - glad i asked Doe - thanks for the info - i am now checking the brochure!
Unfortunately (though I guess understandably) it's much higher on long haul holidays than it is on short haul. Think it's 10 quid per person short, but 40 per person long.

Sorry this is a bit :offtop from fuel Mods.
doe - is that £40 each way??? or return journey????
mdaly1 ... to try and minimise confusion in this topic about fuel surcharges, it might be best if you have a browse through our Air Passenger Duty topic and feel free to post any APD related questions there.

Many thanks
David :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.