Greece - Rhodes Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Rhodes.
Hi Katie

When we went last year, you didnt have to wear full-length trousers, but i don't think they like men to wear short, swim like shorts, so I just went in 3/4 length shorts and had no problems.

Have a great holiday!!

Suddy
Hi Katie

No, not packed yet. Sorted quite a few things out but i'll get up to date with the washing and ironing tonight then pile it all on the kids beds in the morning so I can check everyones got everything.

Hopefully this time tomorrow I'll be more or less sorted!!! :?

Went and got a few last things today, always have a last minute panic that we haven't got enough clothes yet we always come home with nearly a case full of clean stuff.

The tickets tell us to be there at least two hours before we fly, (7.05am) so thats 5 am, then it says latest check in is 5.35, so does anyone know how early the check in desks open?? Just don't want to arrange to get there too late and have a panic attack!!
Hi Suddy (or anyone else)
jsut had a thought about the bar set up...is it self service pumps or all bar service? We always go AI to Iberostar or Riu hotels and the soft drinks, water and beer are all self service. Usually the wine is on tap in the restaurant aswell. Bit of a pain if all bar service as it's great for the kids to go and pour their own...as ever, any advice appreciated.

Looking forward to reading all your reviews when you guys get back. Hope you all have a fabby time :lol:

Went clothes and book shopping yesterday think i've got everything now - anyone know if they're doing any good BOGOFF's at the moment on suncream ?

Rosey
Hi Marie,

On our tickets its says we can check-in a maximum of 3 hours before our flight, so I would get there earlier if you can to try and avoid the queues.

Rosey - Boots are doing good offers on their Soltan suncreams and aftersun at the moment - BOGOF, if that helps.

Wishing you all a great holiday!! :D

Suddy - thanks for the info regarding mens trousers. Think I will pack a pair anyway just in case. :lol:
Thanks Elvischeeseburger...think I'll pop in to Boots at lunchtime :D

Oh...my OH always packs a full length pair of jeans just incase for dinnertime. He normally gets away with his 3/4 lengths never been asked to get changed before but just to be on the safe side.....

Have a great time!!
Hi Rosey,

Its a combination of both. The tropical bar & cafe, located by the activity pool (the rectangular one) and the stage are both waiter service. However, the tropical bar has a few people manning the pumps so the wait is very short, even at peak times, and the Tropical cafe is where the kids machines are and pool tables, so that bar hardly ever gets busy.
The Tropical Taverna is the pool-side restaurant, and all drinks in here are self service, including beer!
The Lagoon Pool bar, located next to the circular pool is also bar/waiter service. However, there is a room located opposite where pizza's and ice cream are, and in here, there's a self-service soft drinks machine.
The Tuttu Frutti snack and Junior bar, located by the waterslides and childrens play area is also bar/waiter service.
The Diana bar, which is the main bar inside the hotel is also bar service.
The main buffet restaurant however, is self-service to some extent, as the waiters prepare the drinks ready for you to take away to your table.

Sorry its a bit long-winded, i'll try to summarise it below:
Tropicana Pool bar (entertainment bar) - bar service (open 08:00-24:00hrs)
Tropicana Cafe - bar service (open 14:30-24:00hrs)
Tropicana Taverna - self service (open 12:00 - 15:00hrs)
Diana main bar - bar service (open 08:00 - 02:00hrs)
Lagoon Pool bar - bar/self service (open 09:00 - 24:00hrs)
Tutti Frutti/Junior bar - bar service (open 10:00 - 24:00hrs)
Main restaurant - self service - (open 07:00-10:00hrs - breakfast) (open 12:30 - 14:30hrs - Lunch) (open 18:00 - 21:15hrs - Dinner)

Although not many of the bars are self service, we had no problems with queues or waiting, so you'll be fine. Also note that these times are from last summer.

Hope this helps, & have a great time!

Suddy
Cheers Suddy - you're a star - that's really helpful! :lol: If I think on anything else I'll be sure to get in touch !

6 weeks and 15 hours and I'll be heading to Glasgow Airport woohoo !!
Still not packed......... someone give me a kick up the backside please!!!!!

Just ironing the last few things then its all systems go. Took the cats to the catery this afternoon so at least they're sorted.

Never been anywhere with a self service bar before!

Getting excited now!
Hi Marie

Hope by now you are well on the way to getting those suitcases packed. Hope you all have a fantastic time. 11 days to go for us. Nice when you can count down in days and not weeks.

Cazzi x
Hi

Cases are packed!! :D I'm exhausted, can't go to bed though cause I'm sure we'd all oversleep! Got two weeks to catch up with my zzzzz's.

Cazzi, hope you have a great time too, catch up with you when we're all nice and tanned! 8) 8)
Hi Marie,

Can't believe you are due back today already - its gone really quick here but hopefully not quick for you.

Hope you have had a lovely holiday and can't wait to hear all about it when you have time to post a review.

Would love to hear what the weather was like and if the hotel facilities are as good as they sound so far...

Look forward to hearing from you soon.... :D
Hi

Just thought I'd let you know we're back! Totally exhausted, got in and had to go straight up to school for a meeting then back to sort out uniform and do lunches! Joys of being home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll:

Weather was great, only had two off days, was a lot more windy than I was expecting though. Yesterday was really hot, weather report was it was getting hotter over next week too!!! So take plenty of sun cream!

I'll be back here tomorrow, need to do a grocery order and then get some sleep! :D
Hi Marie,

Hope you have caught up on your sleep - back to reality then eh?

Thats a bit tough having to go into school straight away. Bet you can't believe the weather here, not good when you have got lots of washing to do! Glad to hear the weather is getting hotter in Rhodes, was it windy day and night? Just wondering whether its hot enough in the evening to go out without a cardi?

Can you tell me, did your other half get away without having to wear long trousers for evening meal and did you go to the al a carte restaurant during your stay? If so, was it nice food?

Katie :D
Hi Katie

Still tired, don't know why but I kept waking up really early while we were away. Don't worry it wasn't due to noise or anything, just my body clock went mad I think!!!

Most days there was just a light breeze but a few days it was really windy, had to tuck towels into the sunbeds if we got off them. Most nights were ok, only wore long sleeves a few times. As its getting hotter you might be ok just in short sleeves.

We had our meals in the main restaurant which is buffet style. Breakfast time theres cereal, a toaster so you can just put your own toast on, jugs of coffee you just pick up on your way in, machine to get hot choc, bacon, scrambled egg, fried egg, mushrooms, beans and hard boiled eggs. Theres lots of breads and loads of cheese. Then theres a good selections of cakes too. Also they have croissants, choc croissants ohhhhhhhh and PANCAKES!!!!!!!!! :D Theres lots of jams and marmalades and choc spread. Lunchtime you can either eat in the main restaurtant or at the taverna by the pool. Just be aware if you eat in there that theres lots of flies about. They always have chips in the taverna but don't always have them at lunchtime in the main restaurant. Both places have salad, bread, and the usual selection of desserts. There are drinks machines to help yourself to orange, coke, water, pineapple etc... In the evening make sure you go and have a look round the restaurant as they do different food over the one side. Had quite a few nights when there really wasn't anything for the kids to eat other than chips and some dip they liked. But again its all down to what people like, I'm quite happy to try a bit of most things (apart from the fish dishes) and had quite a few pasta dishes I've never had before. I think the reason it seems repetative is cause your in the same place eating three times a day. Soup if available in the evenings, could be anything from mushroom to things I'd never dream of having in soup!! While we were there we had beef, pork, grilled turkey. One lunchtime they did pork curry which was only mild but really nice. Theres usually rice or risotto and either their oven roast potatoes, lyonnaise potatoes or boiled potatoes with parsley.

In the evenings they have glasses of wine you can just go and help yourself to.

Didn't see where the a la carte restaurant was. OH wore shorts in the main restaurant for breakfast and lunch, then got away with 3/4's in the evening. If you eat by the pool then you can just go as you are as long as your not dripping wet.

Entertainment was improving as the holiday went on, one complaint we had was the activities during the day were aimed more for older teenagers and adults. One day my 8 year old wanted to play table tennis but it was adults only and the same a few days later when she wanted to play darts they sent her away as it was only adults :cry: . She did manage to play table tennis one day when a few other kids went to play and the same with the darts. I think it depends if other kids go to the activity. Again, the water polo was for adults. We've been before to Thomson holidays and the kids have been able to play.

Beach is very pebbley so make sure you have some shoes for the beach. Sea is lovely and clear, great for snorkelling. OH and son saw lots of fish, some quite big!!!! They also spotted an eel :shock: some small skates and a tiny crab.

Our room was a lot nicer than I thought it would be, small balcony and not a very good view but we're hardly in the room. Only had a small table and two chairs. We had a double bed and then a single bed. TV, dressing table with drawers, long low unit with drawers suitable for putting cases on. Big wardrobe (mirrored) plenty of handing space with more drawers and shelves. There was a safe in the wardrobe you could pay for at reception if you wanted to use it. The bathroom had a bath with shower attachment (had to hold it up to shower with it) toilet and a nice sink unit with plenty of space round it to put all your lotions and potions! :D There was a hair dryer unit on the wall, I didn't use it but my daughter moaned it wasn't as good as the dryer she'd left at home!!!! Some people are never happy!! :wink:

Kids took a few days to get into the slides but ended up loving them. They can take lilos and rings down them. Candy floss and popcorn is available between 4 and 6, and ice cream is help yourself all day. Just watch the kids in front haven't been sticking their hands in it first though.

If you win the games during the day you get to go on stage in the evenings after the mini disco and collect your diploma! They do a pool game every day and afterwards everyone taking part stands one end of the pool and they do their dance. Before you commit to taking part just check what the game is, could be anything from team inflatable racing games to who can flick their shoe furthest in the pool to spitting out ice cubes! Other games included throwing the ball and someone had to catch it in a basket on their head!

They do mini golf a few times a week too and the younger kids can go along to that. My son did football everytime it was on, being 13 he had to go with the adults though. They did do football for the younger kids if there was enough wanting to do it.

Right, I'll leave it there else I'll go on forever. Let me know if you want to know anything else. When is it you go????
Hi Marie,

Thanks very much for all that info. Sounds like you had a really good time there - I cant wait now, we go next Wednesday so thats five sleeps according to my daughyer. :lol:

You said that your OH got away with wearing 3/4 trousers at night - did you notice if any other men were wearing shorts at all? Its just that my OH has lots of dressy knee length shorts which he likes to wear in the evening and only 1 pair of 3/4s.... oops!

It all sounds really nice - especially the food and help yourself drinks. :D I'm feeling the pounds going on just thinking about it!

Did you have any problems getting sunbeds every day? Usually we have had to sneak down early in the morning to reserve our beds. :(

If I think of anything else to ask I will post again soon if thats ok.

Thanks again for all your helpful information.

Katie. :D
Hi Katie

On our first night OH had changed into his shorts and we headed off to the restaurant, felt like everyone was looking at us when we got to the door, then I noticed the sign about shorts!!!! I say he wore 3/4's but really they are about knee length (the mens longer length shorts from Next, that sort of thing) lots of others had those on too.

Sunbeds were ok to get, usually put out towels down around 7.30 (thats cause I kept waking up early!!!) but when we went to them after breakfast there was still plenty with no towels. I'm sure it gets worse later in the season though. Don't get a sunbed up by the first pool with the bridge as by the afternoon you'll be in the shade! We usually went on the front row by the rectangle pool, again the ones at the side are in the shade till around eleven. Theres loads of sunbeds on the grass area and those are in the sun all day. Theres another kiddies pool just by the grass area too.

Kids loved going on the carousel and dodgems (even the 13 and 14 yr old!) They all had a go on the climbing wall but didn't get very far up it. There isn't a life guard on the pools but there is one watching the slides. They're the same life guards who work at the Water Park. We went there last Sunday as the weather was cloudy then it cleared up nicely in the afternoon. It's worth a day there if you like water slides (I did the camcorder cause I'm a chicken!! :lol: ) I did like the lazy river where you just sit in a ring and the current takes you round.

In the side room by the bar on the ground floor they have cold snacks, either a vegetarian roll or a cheese and what looked like luncheon meat sandwiches. They also have a selection of cold pizza. Theses are available to help yourself to from about 10 am till really late. Then between 4 and 6 they put slices of cake and you can just go and get what you want.

The animation team are good fun, they always amaze me how they can speak two or three languages. Theres one called Sam (his full names something complicated) and he always made a fuss of my 8 yr olds, would kiss them on the cheek and they thought it was really funny! The main bloke has been doing his job for seven years now. Sometimes the show on the night is a bit more aimed at adults, but I found the kids just took it at their level, they just thought it was funny that some of it was a bit rude! :lol:

My kids want to know if you could take them with you next week when you go??? :wink:
Hi Marie,

Thanks again for all that info. Think OH will be buying some last minute 3/4s just in case - knowing his luck he would be the one turned away. :(

Tell your kids if there is enough room in our cases after I have packed then they can come with us! :lol:

My daughter asks if there is fresh orange juice on tap rather than the diluted variety? Also, are all the cocktails on the menu free on all inclusive or do they just select a few that are free? Are they strong or ready made? :shock:

Hubby asks what type of beer they serve there and if Ouzo is free? :glynis (Heard the beer is self serve?)

Regarding the entertainment at night, you mention bits being rude - do they have a comedian on? Don't think my daughter will notice anyway as we are going with my Str-in-Law and neice who is 8, so they will probably be busy enteraining themselves!!

Getting the cases out of the loft today so will make a start on some packing...

Katie :)
Hi Katie

It was just diluted or fizzy orange on tap. There was stronger orange juice and apple juice available from the machine in the restaurant at meal times.

We aren't beer drinkers and I can't remember seeing it anywhere on a self serve, did overhear someone moaning they only served it in small glasses though! But thats no problem cause you can get a few in at a time! :lol: Luckily they didn't seem to have any rules on how many drinks you can get in, quite often we'd go and order all 6 of us a drink and they never said anything. As for the ouzo, by the bar in reception there is a table with jugs of orange juice and bottles of ouzo which you can just help yourself to.

With the entertainment, they did a comedy show one night and one of the clips was the blokes using the women like instruments, so they had them over their laps and were putting their hands all over the place pretending to play them! Kids just laughed. They did another show when two of the entertainment people were supposed to be at it and got caught out, again kids just laughed cause the little two didn't really understand what was going on. The shows are done by the people who do the activities during the day. Thursdays there is no entertainment team working as its their day off. On the night there will be a greek band on stage. Another night they have some dancing group come in instead of a show. Theres nothing offensive with the entertainement just a bit different if your used to Thomson Superfamily.

They have a drinks menu at the bar with the all inclusive cocktails and drinks listed. There's plenty on there to keep your thirst quenched! They have two non-alcholic cocktails too which the kids enjoyed ordering. They were disappointment they weren't served in fancy glasses but being aimed at the kids paper cups are safer!

The cappuccinos are nice, they do you a coffee then squirt the cream on top! Suppose I shouldn't really be shocked then that i'm a few pounds heavier than when I went away!!! :roll:

Anything else you want to know, ask away!!! :D
Hi Marie,

Sorry to keeping asking you lots of questions, just a quick few more...

Is there fruit on for breakfast? My daughter loves melon and wondered whether they had this on offer. Also I love greek (feta cheese) salads and wondered if they did these at lunchtimes? What are the salads like in general? I know sometimes they can be swamped in mayonnaise... :?

Thats if for now, thanks a lot. :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.