Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
The Jazz house is no more, it was shut down during the monsoon, and the premises are guarded by police day and night, not sure of the whole story.
A restaurant which didn't get much of a mention is Jungle Village nice food and atmoshphere, does a decent fillet steak, and the best Sunday roast in Goa for anyone fed up of curries,

Lin
thanks Lin
( lucky you- out in Goa again!)
If this is the Jazz House in Candolim then not surprised closed down as were doing spirits watering down tricks last year!
Hi, has anyone any news on my favourite restaurant SUBLIME - Ive read on here that the owners have had a falling out? has anyone heard anything else?
Goanne :lol:
I have to agree with Lin b about Jungle Village, my son had really been missing Mc Donalds but he reckons the beef burgers there are better than any Mc Donalds.
My favourites in no particular order;
Florentines in Saligao, brilliant food always packed with locals and local prices.
Angels Resort in Porvorim
Brittos in Baga
J&A in Baga
Capricorn in Calangute
Lazy Days up CSM road
Bobby's beach shack up CSM road
Over the Flames Baga road
Mayonna Creekside near Baga bridge
Honey restaurant in Arpora
Mmmm it's making my mouth water thinking of all the nice food we've eaten :D
Thanks for the list Julie, will need to try some of them out! Whereabouts is Florentines at Saligao? Sounds excellent, but never heard of it. Another one on your list ive heard good reports about it Over the Flames so will definitely try that one as well. Honey restaurant in Arpora, where is that? On two of our trips this winter we will be staying at the Marinha Dourada and Lagoa Azul, so it would be handy to go there.

There as so many nice restaurants, its difficult to get round them all. Only two ive been disappointed in Mermaid in Candolim, which in my opinion is hyped up to be something it just so isnt! Bobs Inn, too revolting for words :yikes

But thanks for the list Julie, looking forward to trying some of them out in 4 weeks time.
Thanks Julie! we'll be staying in Lagoa Azul in one weeks time :D and haven't been to Goa for 11 years (since having the kids!) list of restaurants really helpful - especially the tip for burgers!! - my 8 year old has asked if there will be a MacDonalds!!(the little heathen) I know it will be Divali? when we are in Goa - do they have any fireworks etc?. as also boys are moaning that we'll miss Bonfire night - arrgh :evil: Kids, never happy eh? :cry: - still I'm sure when they arrive they will forget all about it?
Hi Gemma33

Florentines is a couple of miles from St Anthonys Church in Calangute, you'll need a taxi to take you thre (and come back for you later as its in the middle of nowhere!) We were recommended to go by the boys at Radhas shack, apparantly its well know for its chicken cafrael. We've been a few times, tried various things, but the cafrael is by far the best thing we've eaten there. I think you get the choice of 1/4 or 1/2 chicken and its under 100 rupees for a half. Just a word of warning though, the toilets are very basis, so be prepared! Agree with you about the mermaid and bobs inn, went to the mermaid last year after hearing lots of good reports and wre really disappointed. Went to Bobs inn three years ago, and was extremely ill for days afterwards
Hope you enjoy florentines, we did, and will be going there again in February.

One of my favourites, for a change from the usual curries and the like, is Casa Portugese in Baga. Its like a little garden oasis away from the hustle and bustle, and the food is fantastic!
Hi Gemma and Nigel,
Florentines is on the road from Calangute to Panjim, it's well known for it's Bombay duck (a type of fish) and chicken caffrael, we went a couple of weeks ago for a birthday, 10 of us all had starters and main course and a couple of the gannets had sweets, with drinks and a tip the bill came to £21 and we all really enjoyed the food. All the taxi drivers will know of it. It is closed on Mondays.
Honey restaurant in Arpora is more or less opposite the Renton Manor hotel.
Diwali- to say there will be fireworks is an understatement :!:
Last bonfire night we bought fireworks and had a bonfire, we made jacket potatoes and bonfire toffee and invited the neighbours, not sure what the locals thought of the spuds and beans but they definitely enjoyed the toffee.
Every year we use a small restaurant on the Baga road called Manix,It is only small and can be a bit noisy(cars,not music),but the food has always been excellent and the service and staff are 1st class.They do a lovely chicken lollipop for starters and at times this is enough for a main course. i have not seen anyone else mention this place,but do give it a try, you may be pleasantly surprised!!
Milliemeg,
I love the Mo-Mo's at Manik.......absolutely lovely and lots of 'em!!

GFF xx
If you have'nt been to sheldon's (next but one to english rose)of the beach road they do a lovely burger plus other english dish's they are like the mc'donalds 1/4 pounders.
Hi,
I'm going to Goa on the 25/11 and staying in the Falcon Resorts, i think it's near the church in the middle of the road. (has anyone ever stayed there? whats it like?)
Does anyone have any names of good beach shacks around that area?
I worked in Goa as a rep in 2001 but was based in Candolim and only ever went to the beaches there!!
Gff What is Mo Mos's as never had em
Lizzie,

Mo-Mo's are Tibetan Dumplings stuffed with either prawns/veg/chicken etc. You can have them steamed or fried and they usually come with a dip on the side..........lovely but very filling!!

GFF xx
Thanks Julie and Nanette :D We will definitely try florentines sounds great. This forum is brill for finding out about different places to try etc. I will need to write it all down before we travel and take it with me. Cant wait 4 weeks today :pele :pele :pele
Thai Oriental Restaurant (that was opposite the Peacock Pub) has now moved up to Calangute, it's in the Hotel Mira for those interested.
GFF xx
Thanks for the update GFF on the Thai resturant, this we found was one of our favourite restraunts and will be there again this year, any idea why it moved? Jxk8.
Goldenflipflop, is that the Thai restaurant with the German man and his Thai wife who had their restaurant near the healthcentre 2 years ago? If so where is the Hotel Mira.
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.