Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
hi I am going to candolim in november any help at all would be gratefully apreciated could you please tell me if there are any nice chinese restaurants candolim calangute or baga and what indian places would you recomend to eat in thanks a lot to all of you mac mick :?:
Jxk8, the Thai place moved because the whole plot of land that it and the Peacock stood on has been sold and at the moment is being re-developed. The Peacock is moving opposite the stonehouse into what was Octopus Garden.

Samtheboater, It is the same Thai Oriental that used to be near the Candolim Health Centre. The Mira Hotel is in Calangute. Standing at the roundabout at the junction of Baga Road / Calangute High St with The High St behind you, take a left and you'll find the Mira on the right about 50 metres along (same road as Molly Malones Pub).

GFF xxx
Hi mackmick

There is a fantastic chinese restaurant in Baga, its right next to the ugly box bridge at the riverside Guest house called the Hibiscuss (I think that's how you spell it, if not it's very close :oops: ), I don't usually like Chinese but this was lovely.

Donna
XX
For some reason all the Chinese restaurants last year stopped shredding the duck at the table. they said they did it in the back, dont believe them, it was horrible, no bones, no crispy skin, it obviously came out of a packet. They were all the same, Probably something to do with the bird flu stuff. We got into a habit of asking before we went in but nobody does it at the table anymore. Perhaps things will change back this year.
Thanks for the info GFF, may see you in the Thai restauant, I'm out there for 3 wks over the Christmas period. Thanks again..... Jxk8.
Did anyone go their last season? Its behind the old Red Lion pub (now called something else) just up from Bonnies bar.
We had some good meals their in the past but never visited last season, it was a nice setting, known localy as nine double nine.
Talking of the old Red Lion pub whatever happened to it ? everytime we pass it it looks empty we had some great nights their years ago, Lezlie (Log Cabin & Molly Malones) used to be Part owner) Allan.
The red Lion (or Tamarin as it's now called) has never really done much business since Leslie left. Last year it was run by a guy from the UK called Martin.............it never appeared to have any customers. At the moment it looks overgrown and in need of a good clean - doesn't look like any activity is going on there, it probably won't open this season.

GFF xx
Kebabs & Curries (ex 999) is one of the best places for North Indian style food. Last year they added an outdoor patio-style section, nicely decorated. They open for this season next Thurday (26th).
Had dinner at the Thai Oriental restaurant on Saturday night, (opening night) and the food was superb, as ever. The setting is nearly as good as the garden setting at Candolim last season.
Thanks for that Phil, is it still run by the same lady? allan
Great site, i was wondering if anyone out there can help me,2 years ago i met a friend who was in Baga at the same time as my mrs & i and we went for a meal to somewhere called A Jolly Good Place, the owner had worked at the top hotels in Dheli and decided to open his own place in Baga, the food and service were excellent but when we looked for it last year we couldn't find it. Is there anybody out there with any info...many thanks KJF
Jolly Good Place only lasted for one season. Shame as it was one of the very few places to have Parsi food on the menu - i don't know where to go for a dhansak now.
Thanks Phil, if you find anywhere like the Jolly Good Place i would be glad of any info. I think the only thing that let the place down was location, in a busier site i think it would still be going strong... cheers KJF
Fishermans Cove has moved (again) - now located on the main Candolim Road opposite Cato-Loco.

Still no news on Sublime unfortunately, will keep you updated when news comes to surface.

GFF xx
Sublime will definately not be re-opening. There may be a restaurant at the same location, and it may even be called something like Sublime. But the managemnet will not be the same (they're not going to run a restaurant any more) and nor will the chef (he's opening his own place in Anjuna).
A couple of years ago whilst staying in Baga we met up with friends who were staying in Calangute, and after introducing us to Publix bar ( which sadly if what i have read is true is no longer there ) they took us to a place called Wilsons , i can vaguely remember cutting throuh the bus terminus on the Calangute road and then going through some sort of path to this place, i am not a 100% certain ( maybe because of a mixture of the Kings & Old Monk) if it was one of the shacks on the beach. Hopefully somebody out there will be able to point me in the right direction, because one thing i definatley remember was the seafood we had was something else....many thanks KJF
After reading this site which i think is so helpful to anyone visiting Goa, it has made me realise just how easy it is to get comfortable with your surroundings,having (been 4 times and due to go back in Feb) i cant believe i have only eaten out in Candolim at 2 places, Sunset Bistro (excellent) and Greenjackets (so so) this year i am making an effort to try other places, so feel free to recommend any. The thai place seems pretty popular so i will defo give it a whurl is it called the Oriental and would cabbie no where to go, i am not worried about prices of any recommendations as long as food is good,also there are some lovely places around Baga/Calangute (Bernards, Over the flame,Lazy Days,Golden Eye,Mooncrest (altough David has left) and many more,as i said earlier its so easy to become to familiar because you are treated so well by everyone & we've got 3 wks to get round to see everyone, so we might as well explore other options ( forgot to mention Maggies before, is it worth taking my cozzie or is the proposed pool not ready yet... ha ha) thanks again
Philingoa,

Thanks for the info about Chris (Sublime Chef), his food is so good and Anjuna is only a 15 min ride away I'd be happy to venture up there for one of his lovely creations!!........any idea where in Anjuna his new place will be?

Cheers, GFF xx
Kebabs and Curries reopened last night and is as good as ever - same couple running it, Rajasthani style decor thse days. They no longer have the Tandoori Platter on the menu - but my award for best Tandoori Platter has passed on to Over The Flames iin Baga anyway.
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.