Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
from what im reading fiona Im assuming ,am I correct kim that the balance was due in feb but because of a first choice error that transaction didnt go through so they phoned you THEY WROTE TO US & WE CALLED THEM.
and eventually took it in june 06 probably after your holiday and that its not your payment that is in dispute but the fact that they have taken it again at the same time the following year . YES YES YES
first choice are denying they have taken it for a second time YES
so I would agree with an earlier poster that you should contact the ***** department and maybe you may get a speddier response than ringing customer services . Im sure they will be around at the weekend.
NO THE DEPT THAT DEALS WITH THAT ARE OPEN OFFICE HOURS MON-FRI!!!!!!

I honestly thought, everytime, right its sorted now!!
But it gets worse!!!!
First Choice won't even admit they took the bl**dy money. I can't give them the card number as its long since been cut up & chucked in the bin (as its expired). The bank say from their end its legitimate???!!!

I need to get First Choice to contact the bank & say they don't want any money & didn't call for any money.

I need a contact at the bank & a contact at First Choice to talk.
Basically the bank say, sort it out with First Choice & First Choice are practically saying, its not them its the bank!!!!!!
Kim I am so sorry for your situation. I do hope that this gets resolved quickly and satisfactorily.

I cant comment on the ins and outs of your situation but I would say though, that sending emails do not mean that you have proof. Emails can be easily deleted and although you may have records in your email account, you cannot prove that the sent email was actually received at the other end. I would suggest that any email you send is printed off and sent by recorded delivery as well. Then you have your proof.

For the record, we bank with Abbey as well so know their procedures (all too well!). If you visit a branch to discuss your account, you are pointed in the direction of the "freephone" and you have to ring the relevant department for assistance (sometimes waiting up to 30 mins for someone to answer the phone). Branch staff will only deal with you if you are paying in money, withdrawing money, transferring money or arranging a mortgage.

I hope this gets sorted soon.

Sarah :)
I think kim and im sure you will agree that when the fraud department rang you on the 28th june or thereabouts that transaction had already been made and you wouldnt of had a chance to stop it . Please please get back to the fraud department ,they queried it with you originally so they can have it back now !!!
Kim
the bank can give you the transaction details to give to First Choice.

I seriously would go with rewriting that email. I found it far too confusing. All that needs to go down is the fact that you paid for a holiday at the time and then they illegally took out a duplicate payment a year later. You need that refunded plus all your bank charges. To the bank I would say that they authorised a payment to an out of date credit card and that you have given time to sort this out and the next step is the ombudsman. Copy those emails to everyone you can think of and let them see you have done so.
good luck- I can understand that you must be at the end of you tether.

PS
all you legal eagles - feel free to correct anything I've suggested!
Must confess I am a little puzzled as to why the bank need your husband.

If it is a joint account then they should speak to either of the account holders. Whilst my wife leaves these matters to me she can talk to them in her own right. The same applies to our credit card which on which I am the principle card holder. Years ago we wrote to them and confirmed she had equal rights and she has never had a problem when she has needed to speak with them.

fwh
Thank you srhjnmgn/Sarah glad someone understands the Abbeys little quirks.
Good point about recorded delivery :-)
and by the way, I took Abbey to the ombudsman over my mortgage- long story- and won. I won't go near them now.
Fiona HT Mod

Good point, yes I will get my husband to get the transaction details off the bank.

I'm dismayed you found the email confusing, I tried to wtite it clearly & step by step :-(

Between 9am & 11am this moning I emailed everyone I could think of, omnbudsman, which, watchdog, citizens advice ECT ECT

Thanks
Must confess I am a little puzzled as to why the bank need your husband.

If it is a joint account then they should speak to either of the account holders. Whilst my wife leaves these matters to me she can talk to them in her own right. The same applies to our credit card which on which I am the principle card holder. Years ago we wrote to them and confirmed she had equal rights and she has never had a problem when she has needed to speak with them.

ITS MY HUSBANDS ACCOUNT, A SOLO ACCOUNT.

I DO REFER TO IT AS HIS BANK.
Kim

There is an error in your email
The next day the 29th July 2007 the accounts department rang to confirm that as far as they were concerned we had paid for our holiday the year before & the transaction must be a mistake.

This should read 29th JUNE 2007.

I really feel for you and hope that you get this mess sorted out soon as I can imagine the stress it's causing you, but I agree that the email is not as clear and concise as it needs to be for the various organisations to clearly understand what has happened.

Read it through again and try to omit anything that isn't absolutely essential.

I also appreciate your frustration with your husband having to deal with it. Mine is the same, useless at dealing with authority, therefore everything is in my name apart from one credit card. Any time I have a query on it he has to go on the phone first to give permission for them to talk to me. He should really write a letter giving me permission for all queries in the future, but we've never got round to it.

Perhaps you need to make an appointment with the Citizens Advice Bureau who may be able to help you or call the Banking Ombudsman.

luci :wave
Fwh
Kim says that the bank is her husbands, not everyone has joint accounts, I have always had my own account so I can understand the bank not wanting to deal with kimevans, my bank wouldn't deal with my husband if he made an enquiry.
lynwestie

The fr@ud dept are an Indian call centre :-(

They said First Choice are trying to take - to me that means not happened yet.

I told them not to pay it as it was well over a year old & had been paid. They didn't say they would take NO BL**DY NOTICE OF ME.

They may have back dated it to the 4th June to bump up the charges, but it hadn't happened by the 28th June. I'm pretty sure it happened on the 2th July. The back dating thing is a right c0n!!!
ITS MY HUSBANDS ACCOUNT, A SOLO ACCOUNT.

I DO REFER TO IT AS HIS BANK.

If that is the case then you need your husband to contact the bank and explain that due to the circumstances he authorises them to speak with yourself in this matter. That you are in effect acting on his behalf.

They are quite correct under the DPA to insist they speak with him.

Discussing the matter with you without them being authorised by him could result in them being prosecuted for breaking the law.

You might consider this daft but the law is there to protect everyone.

fwh
Damn thank you luci HT Mod, thats the second mistake. The other was where I put down that we paid in 07, not 06.

So much to write down, I made them two mistakes :-(

Yes, my husband does the "security check" then they talk to me :lol:

I've emailed that to the world & his wife with 2 bl**dy mistakes, & they are important :cry: :oops: :?
If that is the case then you need your husband to contact the bank and explain that due to the circumstances he authorises them to speak with yourself in this matter. That you are in effect acting on his behalf.

I do know that, as I said new job, at work, can't be taking time off, hes in London, I'm 30 miles away, yes I get a 30 min lunch break, but as I said I work in a hopsital so would need to leave the buliding to get through, he won't be with me would need to be prearranged, they can keep you waiting 30 minutes just to get through

They are quite correct under the DPA to insist they speak with him.

Discussing the matter with you without them being authorised by him could result in them being prosecuted for breaking the law.

You might consider this daft but the law is there to protect everyone.

I do understand that, I NEVER said I had a problem with this, just that its making it harder for ME to deal with it.
No Kim is not sticking her head in the sand, she is trying to deal with something [her husbands bank] and she is unable to do so. This is why people are saying her HUSBAND needs to deal with it. If he doesn't take the time off work to do so then don't complain that it is not being sorted.
Everytime someone gives advice the reply is:

The bank won't talk to me because it's my husbands account

He can't take time off work because he is self employed and we need the money

I need to take a day off to go with him, [WHY, is he not an adult]

They keep passing the blame

The bank staff can't deal with it, it is another dept.[ BELIEVE ME , THE BANK STAFF WILL DEAL WITH IT IF YOU KICK UP ENOUGH OF A STINK AT YOUR BRANCH] EVEN IF THEY TAKE YOUR HUSBAND INTO AN OFFICE AND MAKE THE RELEVANT PHONE CALLS FOR HIM

At the end of the day I have said for him to take a couple of hours off and sort it. So what, he loses a couple of hours money but would gain a lot more back once he gets this mess sorted

Resign yourself to the fact that you are not going to be able to deal with it because the account is in your husbands name. That is something only he can do
Actually UNTIL I got the email yesterday (on returning from work at 6.30pm) from First Choice laying the blame with the bank, I was totally under the impression that its almost certainly First Choices fault.

As such I WAS TRYING TO DEAL WITH FIRST CHOICE, as this I can do, after all I booked it.

You have a nasty tone, especially with reference to my husband not dealing well with these sorts of things.

I find no need of your sort of advice.

Remember I AM NOT AT FAULT HERE, WE ARE INNOCENT VICTIMES. You are talking to me as if I were at fault.
I am not talking to you as if it is your fault. All I am trying to get through to you is that if you continue to let First Choice and your bank pass the buck you are not going to get anywhere, and as you can't deal with your husbands bank he is going to have to do it himself. I have made no mention of your 'husband not being able to deal well with these sort of things', it is you that has just said that.

Some people are beyond help and in this case you seem to be one of them because all you are doing is putting obtacles in the way of peoples advice.
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.