Indian Ocean inc. Maldives/Mauritius & India Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in India and Indian Ocean.
My friends got married at the club palm bay last May and we stayed at the Club Palm Bay for 10 nights. I loved it :lol: I was a bit worried at first as the trip from the airport takes you through some very run down villages. Then the drive up the dirt track to the hotel is again a bit worrying, especially as we were all tied from the flight, but the hotel, pool, food and service is fantastic. When we went the sea was very rough and the beach wasn't very tidy so we didn't go onto the beach. Hopefully in August it will be better. We were all inclusive and my tips are: Go to the shop on the first day and order a few bottles of diet coke if that is your tipple because you can't get it at the bar. The laundry service is very cheap and quick - I got them to do everything before I went home. Hand out the tips in the bar at the beginning of the stay and that way they'll fill your glass without you even having to look up. Take a day tour to Kandy and the elephant orphanage. You can hire an air conditioed taxi for a whole day for about £25.00 to take you into Colombo shopping or anywhere else for that matter (reception will organise). Negombo is worth a wonder around and the coconut primitive is a good place to eat. Who are your travelling with? We went with virgin but wish we'd gone with virgin - their rep was better.
Hi arnoose

Thanks for your comments. We booked our honeymoon thru a travel counsellor, I believe the tour operator is First Choice.
Altho we have been told that Marawila is fine after the Tsunami disater (it's on the west of the island), we are still deciding whether we should go or not :(

Thanks again :wink:
I am also pretty sure the stretch between Colombo and Marawila was not directly affected so I'm sure your holiday will be great. The excursions you are likely to offered will be inland towards the high county away from the damage.

If you are not sure you should go because you might feel a bit guilty about living a life of luxury so soon after the disaster I would say go. The people of Sri Lanka are very friendly and they all know how important tourism is to the economy. I think you would help a lot by visiting, spending money there and restoring confidence. I'm thinking about going back towards the end of the year. firstly because it's a lovely place to holiday but I would also like to do my bit to help the county and a visit would help a lot more than the donation.

Having said that of course it's not my money and it is your honeymoon. Congratulations on your wedding. Are you getting married over there?

PS
And it was Mercury Direct I wish I had travelled with not Virgin.
Hi again!

We're marrying in the UK and then flying to Sri Lanka 3 days after. My fiance adopted me an Elephant thru Born Free for my birthday, she's at the Udawalawe Elephant Transit Home, I would really still love to go to meet her!

You hit the nail on the head there regarding my concerns, but you are quite right, they really on Tourism so we should keep it up.

:thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.