Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
hi just got back from 2 wks hol at the sensatori,all i can say is that you will love it. it was brill weather fantastic.roasting hot every day. rooms huge,food great and service was the best.lovely resturants and bars,pools everything was as it is in the brochure so dont be put off by anyone telling you other wise.it was our first time in mexico and we will prob go back to the sensatori next year. rooms have hot tubs,32 in plasma,dvd player,ipod docking station, iron and ironing board,hairdryer,soap.shampoo,shower gel,cotton balls and buds,we were upgraded to premium suites they were fantastic and the pool service was amazing. go and enjoy and let me know how you get on .if you want to know anything else just e-mail me ok :)
Helen,
Thanks for the reply. Is it easy to travel to the other resorts by bus or is it reliant on taxis,if so whats the cost of doing this ?. Is the hotel isolated or is it easy enough to walk to different resorts. Finally what sort of night time entertainment is on offer ?.
Thanks..
you can walk along the beach wether you can go into diff complexes ,i dont know that (never tried) but from entrance end everything is a bit isolated.the hotel has a shuttle bus thats goes to cancun and playa carmen both cost 15 dollars each return .night life is pretty low key.rooftop garden and mojito lounge has entertainment om every night to 1am but rem it repeats the same acts every wk so if your there 4 2 wks it will be the same stuff your hearing. a few times stayed around the pool and just stayed at 1of the bars at the back the swim ups and the bar stayed open till 11pm that done us.cosmopolitan bar is nice ,rocker chairs,swings,nibbles and great cocktails.most of the resturants the meals are quite small, the spoons resturant was the best if your a fussy eater like me,they have buffet style diff theme every night.room service is quite good 2 order what u like from menu even kids menu, we used to order pizza from that when we got in at night ,nothing is 2 much trouble.the entertainment staff have a coco bongo night you must go brill,book through them though.beach barbi every day 11-3 if you fancy a change at dinnertime.
ps most things are priced in pessos so i wld advise to take them more than dollars as you are getting more for the pound :sun2 hope this helps
Hi
Just returned from Sensatori Mexico on Friday and had a wonderful time. We have travelled extensively and this was one of the most friendly hospitable hotels we have stayed in. The staff cannot do enough to help. We stayed in the adult section and had a lovely room, was a bit surprised that the toilet has a frosted glass door (its the same in the public restrooms in the main foyer) but the bed was comfortable and the room cleaned every day with clean sheets and towels. The mini bar is topped up every day to. The food is out of this world and the portions are sufficient for us but you can have as much as you want. We tried the italian and mexican and also spoons, the buffet restaurant, as we are quite fussy but all were brilliant. The staff kept coming round the pool during the day to check you for drinks and we could change our beach towel as many times as we liked. The resort was clean everywhere. The spa was expensive in our opinion. We didnt do any trips as the weather was hot, the pools were great and the service was fantastic and for us it was a lovely relaxing holiday. Make sure you go to the concierge as you get 2 free phone calls home a week and a couple of t shirts for free. One downfall if you could call it that is that they try to encourage you to join their holiday club, you dont have to go to the talk but they give you either a meal on the beach, massage for 2 or $200 and they talk to you for 90mins and there is no pressure. we did it and were tempted as the hotel is so lovely but just took the $200 and spent it in the shop.
Make sure you try the BBQ on the beach for lunch.... mmmm lovely.
let me know if you want to know anything else. We would go back tomorrow and some of our other family have booked to go next year just from our photos. It must be good cos the girlfriend didnt complain once and she normally asks to upgrade etc. (last holiday was le sport in st lucia so you know can gauge our standards)
flitwickandy wrote:
Hi
Just returned from Sensatori Mexico on Friday and had a wonderful time. We have travelled extensively and this was one of the most friendly hospitable hotels we have stayed in. The staff cannot do enough to help. We stayed in the adult section and had a lovely room, was a bit surprised that the toilet has a frosted glass door (its the same in the public restrooms in the main foyer) but the bed was comfortable and the room cleaned every day with clean sheets and towels. The mini bar is topped up every day to. The food is out of this world and the portions are sufficient for us but you can have as much as you want. We tried the italian and mexican and also spoons, the buffet restaurant, as we are quite fussy but all were brilliant. The staff kept coming round the pool during the day to check you for drinks and we could change our beach towel as many times as we liked. The resort was clean everywhere. The spa was expensive in our opinion. We didnt do any trips as the weather was hot, the pools were great and the service was fantastic and for us it was a lovely relaxing holiday. Make sure you go to the concierge as you get 2 free phone calls home a week and a couple of t shirts for free. One downfall if you could call it that is that they try to encourage you to join their holiday club, you dont have to go to the talk but they give you either a meal on the beach, massage for 2 or $200 and they talk to you for 90mins and there is no pressure. we did it and were tempted as the hotel is so lovely but just took the $200 and spent it in the shop.
Make sure you try the BBQ on the beach for lunch.... mmmm lovely.
let me know if you want to know anything else. We would go back tomorrow and some of our other family have booked to go next year just from our photos. It must be good cos the girlfriend didnt complain once and she normally asks to upgrade etc. (last holiday was le sport in st lucia so you know can gauge our standards)

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

I'd be grateful if you'd copy your review to the reviews section HERE when you have a moment please! :tup
We are going to the Sensatori Mexico in August 2009 and seem a little puzzled by the differing opinions, it appears that if you are booked into the premium suites then you get a better quality holiday!

Has anyone got any information about there stay at the hotel that could be useful? We are taking our 15 year old son (going on 21).

Does any one know how much it costs to upgrade? As the people that book Junior suites appear to get
a raw deal?

We are looking forward to this holiday and seen the pictures in the brochure, but the reviews are mixed, can anyone help?

Thanks,

GK.
theres a topic,further down the page,where you may get some info.
tracy
We stayed in the adult section room 2225 and had no problems at all. We did hear of people with problems in other sections but the hotel either sorted them out straight away or upgraded them to premium suites. One couple we met who had been upgraded did say that they found the service in premium a bit over powering as they do everything for you and just slept in that part. The hotel only opened at the beginning of the year and i think there have been a few teething problems. If your son is sociable i am sure he will be fine as everyone was very friendly and chatty and there was loads to join in with. We are very picky and didnt have a problem.
:cheers

Thanks for replying with a positive message, we have been to Mexico before and had a great time, I am sure once we get into the holiday spirit the little niggly things will not matter.

One small point I am told it is better to take USD currency rather than Peso's? As the Mexicans are
happier to be tipped using USD!

regards,

GK.
We always travel with dollars and they seemed happy with them. The only problem we had was choosing who to give a large tip to at the end of our holiday as there was a number of people who deserved it. When leaving Mexico they accepted either currency.
Hope you have a great time.
Going to sensatori in October, I have heard it is quite remote, is this true, I have 2 girls 16 & 13 and we love shopping are we able to get to somewhere with good shops?
Also do you need to wear swim shoes to go the sea near the hotel (heard there is a lots of stones etc? :que
Hi,
We returned from Sensatori approx two weeks ago. It was booked very last minute (2 days before) and I was very unsure after reading a few of the reports on a certain Web site (T****A***), but I thought hell why not, you never know what you are going to exactly get on any holiday anyway, it is all subject to each individaual experiance.

Holiday got off to a great start, we got upgraded to premium for free at the airport,app they we no seats left in the main cabin--such a shame :)

The hotel is isolated, as are most of the hotels in this part of the Riva Maya. We stayed in the adults section top floor. The room was very good, very large approx 35sq m. The shower room (more like a wet room) is large enough for 4 at a sqeeze! No hassle with water pressure during the holiday. The round Jaquzzi bath is large enough foe two, and the do supply a selection of shower/bath/soaps etc which are refilled every day ( no need to take shower gel). The mini bar is also stocked daily water/beer/fanta and real coke. It came equipped with a iron and iron board, and hair dryer. The mini safe is free-unless you lose the key. There is also a dvd player and LCD TV approx 26/32", there are quite a few american TV channels including film ones so if you are inclined you can always find something to watch, alsp kids channels. Room cleaned daily with new linen/towels. If you are going to tip, leave a small one every day. No matter what time of night you can order from thre room service menu, usually took about 30mins.

The hotel itself was fantastic, we tried all the resturants and really enjoyed the Italien, but they were all good, yes the portions are not the greatest, but you can have more. WE never thought after any meals that is was not very good, especially compared to the many so called 5 star AI hotels in Europe. The bars are of a laid back nature, none with blaring music, so that you cannot talk. The choice of drinks is very good, just let yours or the barmans imagination run wild with the coctails- but be careful and drink responsible :tup

All the pools and there is quite a lot of water, were kept clean, there are 3 swim up bars, but one was in the adults only pool. When we went there was no problems getting sunbeds even at 10am. The sunbeds do not have matteress on them, they have material sprung, okay but not brill, a towel or two sorts it out. I believe all the sunbeds should be of the type in the Premium section-wood and matress.

The Cabanas on the beach (double four poster beds, with material covers) were excellant but these tended to get filled up by 8am, people reserving them on the way to breakfast. Even though they had signs stating if unattended for 40mins your belongings would get removed, we never saw that happening.

The beach itself is what lets the hotel down, the sand itself is typical mexican white, but in the sea is quite rocky/seaweedy, there are a few small sandy areas in the sea in front of the hotel but not many. We were told two things - that some sand was going to be dropped on the sea bed next year, and that the resort were going to drag the seabed in a few years to remove a lot of the small rocks, so who knows. Just wear flip flops and its okay and you can walk out to some larger area of sand about 200m off shore, apprx 4 foot deep out there.

You can walk down the beach approx 15 mins and find larger sand areas close to shore, we did this every day for a little exercise. It is in the direction of the Nudist/swinging hotel----just don't go too far, you are warned with signs etc, but there are plenty of other things hanging around which remind you :really :yikes definatly not suitable for kids.

The Beach BBQ is on every day which is good, and they do themes throughot the week, fish, mexican etc.

The hotel runs daily buses to Cancun and Playa at $15 each return, in case you need some retail therapy. We found the Spa to be expensive but very nice, especially the massage on the beach.

We tended to stay in the adults side, but the kids we saw seemed to be looked after, there is a kids club, with their own activity pool, and arcade with pool/console games etc.

All in all i felt we had a great holiday, and would go back again, but i do believe it is catered more for adults and not young children, but a holiday is what you make it. definately one to go to to relax and unwind.

Regards
Were going for our honeymoon in March next year have upgraded to premium but a little concerned you can't seem to book the swim up suites which we really really want! Were both late 20's going on 12 and are a little concerned after reading some reviews and opinions in other places
I am visiting this hotel in October too. Travelling with my husband and 3 teenage daughters. Can anyone tell me if there will be enough going on to keep my girls entertained? I have also seen on other sites bad reviews saying this hotel was more like a 3 star and that the British there take their Spain mentallity with them and are up at the crack of dawn reserving sunloungers with their towels. Therefore leading to a distinct lack of loungers. Has anyone experienced this? A bit of a worry when you pay so much to go. Are there any nearby street markets for bargains or is it just shops in Cancun that the shuttle bus takes you to? And do these shops take US$ or do we need pesos for these?
All the shops take $ but I have found it is much better to take Peso's.

Denny
We took US$ as the bar staff and waiters love to tipped in US$, we did not tip every time but in spoons for breakfast However one waiter "innocuous" brought us a special coffee every morning! Our 15 year old son had a great time he met up with other 15 and 16 year olds and we never saw him except at breakfast and the occasional dinner. He often wanted to eat with his friends not a problem they loved the attention from the restaurant waiters etc"¦

Go to Le Chic at least twice (you have to book in advance with the concierge) and the Italian is really good, unfortunately we went late August and the hotel changed most of the a la carte to buffet, since early September they have reverted back to mostly a la carte (you get good steak, instead of skirt steak)

There are 2 shopping malls in Cancun, one open air and one under cover (the posh one!) the bus from the hotel is much cheaper than the taxi, book in advance. You must go to Coco Bongo's a good night out, maybe share a mini bus (cost less) with other people.
We also did the jungle tour, speed boat ride and snorkelling takes at least 4 hours to complete the trip.

If you stay in block 3 stay away from the middle of the building can be noisy with the humming of the generator, good idea to upgrade to premium as you do get treated better, although some people do not like getting bothered to much by the poolside attendees.
When you go to the bar always ask for the premium drinks as they do not have them on show all of the time, wave bar is great.

If you take an ipod touch and you enjoy using the internet ask Andrew the Thomson rep for the password (it was Sensatori ) it is far cheaper than there own internet service.

The massages are a little expensive but you can barter down the price as the hotel was
Less than 50% full and they are excellent and worth the experience, they also have a good gym open until late at night.

The beach is not great however the beach cabanas are worth using as they can be a little sun trap.

Finally if you have to complain then tell the hotel as they are more likely to fix the problem, if all fails make sure you fill out a Thomson complaint form, otherwise they do nothing.

Enjoy your holiday Mexico is lovely.
We only have one review of this hotel so far so we would welcome further reviews for it here :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.