Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Arabic:
75 Posts
don't worry about sounding daft they really enjoy teaching you and coming back this time as i was speaking to them in there language most of the week i found it hard going back to saying somethings in english!!
Strange but thankfully has corrected itself now.
just hope that in 9 weeks i don't forget it all!!!
be aware though the way it looks and the way it sounds is most of the time different and there is also so many ways of saying the same thing!!
have fun and enjoy learning!!
its a great experiance!
Brilliant site Jilly, I speak a little spanish, but anywhere else we have been, I have always learned how to say please thnkyou etc. I will be prepared before we go to egypt now :)
Hi Bev, I speak a little Espanola myself, had lots of trouble with the R's though.

Am heading off to Egypt on Monday 27th so not too many sleeps now!

Will let you all know how the speakie de lingo goes!

Love
Jilly
oh have fun, we arent there till oct, but are off to almeria in august, so have got something to look forward to first. :)
Brilliant website! Can count to 10 in fluent Arabic!! (I think anyway!!)

:oops:
Hello, was reading the baksheesh thread and it occured to me that I know what baksheesh menas, and shukran/shokran, but I don't know the words for good morning/good evening etc. So if anyone knows and helpful phrases that are easy to learn can you tell me?! Thanks :D
Hi BG,
Some phrases out of Libra brochure:-
Hello - salam alaykum
goodbye - ma es salama
please - men fadlak
thankyou - shukran
yes - naam
no - la
good morning - sabah el kheir
good evening/night - masa el kheir
how are you - ez zayyak
very well - kua yiss
I want - ayez
sorry - assef
telephone - teliphune
taxi - taxi.

Hope this helps, we are going out to Sharm on 11 may. :D
cheers guys!....soon I'll be fluent! :wink: ( i think not!). Thanks for your help....I'll have to put it into practice, much to many peoples amusement no doubt!!!
There is a really useful list on http://www.rasmohamed.com then click on info pac and also AtlasTours.net

masaa-el-kheyr!

Sheba
I learnt a tiny bit while I was there and my friend speaks arabic too.

salaam a' Laykum - hello

ma salaama - good bye

shukran - thank you

Afwan - your welcome

Naam - Yes

La - no (Pronounced Lay)

assif - Excuse me?

anna mush fahim - I don't understand

bikam hatha - How much is this?

I think that the most appropriate in the souk ( Market) is La Shrukram when your being hassled. The Egyptions really appreciate the tourists speaking their language. Most hotels will teach you whilst your there. And of course they all understand BECKHAM! Its multi national lol

Good luck!
:hmmm
Oh my word.
I am gonna be soooo confused. I did 3 years learning french at school and only managed to learn "hello my name is..." and a few animals, so how i am gonna try and remember these words i have no idea. I will probably end up being carted away by the mental health people when i start saying phases that arent even relevant to the subject in hand. :oops:
All I really would like to know is 'hello' (is that Salam?) or whatever is the customary greeting and 'thank you very much' in Egyptian? I know the info is on here somewhere. Please could someone point me it the right direction? I did do a search on "egyptian phrases" but it gave me too much info to sift through. :shock:
didn't use it in Sharm at all
they are all so intent on speaking English, German, Russian, Italian to you , you don't get chance

Watch out for Asda Price
Hi, Try http://www.touregypt.net/translat.htm it also lets you hear how to say it if you put your sound on. :D
It's a regular question - perhaps we need a sticky, at the top of the Forum

Previous threads that have included useful sites and phrases are here, here and here.
Learnt my Arabic in Aden over 40 years ago but it looks like I shall have to re learn it , as-salaam alaykum meant peace be upon you, with the reply alaykum as-salaam upon you be peace. hello (perhaps more to attract there attention)was ahlan! ahlan!. Must admit I was told that I spoke gutter Arabic, perhaps its just as well that I cant remember a lot of it :lol: :lol:

Alan
This will sound simple but just checking. Where it says male and female I take it that is if you are speaking to a male or female and not a male or female speaking? Will they get upset if you say it the wrong way round?
after reading the reviews could you tell me how to say "can you point me in the direction of the nearest chemist my ass is like a sheet of sandpaper i need some pills quickly :cry
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.