Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
susie.m,

All the beaches to the north of Mombassa are public beaches as far as I know and therefore have the beach boys. I was in the Bamburi area in March this year and travelled up and down the coast quite a lot while diving. I didn't see any private beach areas around hotels. I don't know what it's like to the south, eg Diani, but I would imagine the situation is the same.

Darren
Ok. if you don't stay in or near the Hotels where the package tour operators go as naturally they are drawn to them. We stayed about 1 hour south of Mombasa it was perfect.
Hi Darren,
Thanks for your reply. I visited Bamburi Beach when I was there last and whilst it wasn't quite as bad as where I stayed it was still annoying at times!! I do like to relax on the beach (Not a pool person) and it does spoil for me what would otherwise be a fabulous holiday! Will have to do a bit more research I think.I do appreciate that the "beach boys" are trying to make a living,and when we left our resort we gave them loads of clothes etc and they came back with a huge wooden hippo for me!!! But they were quite persistent,despite security trying all ways to deter them :D Have been looking at Funzi? Any info on this place?

Hi Jacky,
Thanks for your reply. Any suggestions where to stay,out of the "touristy hotels"? Would appreciate any feedback on this,as I really do want to go back there!!
Where did you stay Jacky?

Thanks Both

Susie
I'd recommend the beaches south of mombassa as well. We stayed there before and after a 5 country journey through Africa and they were great for chilling out. Can't remember favoruite beach name, will update if I do.
Hi we went to the village of Shimoni and stayed here

http://www.pembachannellodge.com/html/thelodge.html

It is very beautiful area but if you like going out there are no bars except the one in the lodge. There are a few more accomodations scattered around. Basic rooms but clean and the food is superb. We often walked 10 mins to the village and were never pestered. The only guys we saw on the beach were on their way to the village. I used to wander around alone whilst OH was fishing. The Lodge will arrange Safaris etc. It is the real Africa, wouldn't suit everyone though.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.