Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
biting fish
32 Posts
Ellie,:- Just think about this!!

You must be someone very very special !! :tup
These little creatures have chosen "you" to show their affection to, :)
But watch out for the "big b----r", about 15ft long with a pointed fin on its back!! :wave:

Regards :)
Peli
Hi Karen,

I wrote about this in October 2006 when we went to Icmeler and I got replies that it was unusual. We had been there 6 tims previous but never had this happen. Our friend was the first, hecame rushing out of the sea saying a fish had bitten him, we all laughed and took no nice, then mmy husband went in and got bitten quite badly, it poured with blood.Someone suggested he had troffen on those fish that buried in the sand, but this one was on the top of his leg.

Went to Icmeler the following June, same part of the beach and had no trouble. Strange that it does nt happen all the time, would like to know what fish they are as their teeth are like ittle razors.

BarbH
YES ıve had thıs too!! Dıdnt lıke ıt at all!
And i was worried about jellyfish.. :yikes

Im going to have to look for these now anyone know the name of them,bet they been called a few things other than there real name :rofl
yes they bit off my daughters scab on her leg and made it bleed, bit off my mozzie blister, absolutely vile :yikes , then i spoke to my mother after we had left marmaris area and she said her and her partner had been bitten too , not sure if there are more certain times of the year or whether they are becoming more common, but its the not knowing whats biting you thats horrid :think
Its happened to us regularly over the last 3 or 4 years, mainly in icmeler.

I gather they go after (yuck) dry skin. last year I exfoliated like mad before we went and i was fine but hubby copped for it. same happened this year.

I scared of the fish anyway even if they're tidgy and run a mile from them.

Bev
This has happened to us the last few years while in altinkum. It does give you a bit of a shock.
i've experienced this for years but it's usually a nibbling feeling rather than a painful bite. I wonder if they're related to the surgeon fish which people with skin complaints bathe among.
aww this is all making the sea well out of bound, jelly fish, biting fish, I just cant cope ! :cry

not the weak link im completely the same, I dont see the joy of swimming with creatures of the underworld

Will definetly be the pool :) dont really like the beach anyway

5 days :D
I have treated this as a joke in a prevous post but on the serious side.
All the years we have been going to Icmeler the fish have always sucked and nibbled you
It is a natural thing for a fish to do, they are feeding, these fish havnt got teeth, as Im aware of
but if any true fishey folk can let us know otherwise !
When you feel them you just move your legs, they are more frightend of you than you should be of them.
Unless there has been a sudden influx of maneaters!, they are I think mostly young sea bass and sea bream that do this, it might be happening more due to people feeding them !!
Peli
A few years ago my wife was in the sea at Icmeler when a woman next to her started jumping and shouting that something had her foot, the water was shallow and as she kicked, her foot broke water and a decent sized squid flew through the air and landed at the edge of the beach, to be seized by the beach boys and carried off to provide dinner. :D
I got quite a bad fish bite whilst swimming in the sea of a greek Island quite close to Turkey a few years ago. Don't know what it was that bit me but it left marks and some blood. Some time later at home I was reading a book about Shark attacks and the book had some pictures in it, one was of a 10 foot Great White that had been caught in the Bosphorus!! I'll never swim in the sea in that area again!!
I have experienced this over the years. The trick is to keep on the move, even when you are standing in the water talking to someone, just keep moving. In saying this in June when we were there, there didnt seem to be any biting fish. Perhaps the water was a wee bit cold at the time. You probably will get more later in the season when the water heats up. Perhaps they dont feel liking biting when its cold ;)
We always went to Icmeler in June and never got bitten. bitten it was the first time we had gone in early October, the water was very warm...so yes that could be the reason they bite then. Still makes you a bit wary of going into the sea now!

BarbH
Fish nibbling at mossie bites, or other small blemishes seems quite common. It comes as a bit of a surprise rather than being really painful or drawing blood - usually at least!!

barnio - I'd be interested in knowing the title etc of that book - Great White's are not usually found in the northern hemisphere, Mediterranean or warmer seas so that would be a very rare sighting
A great white was caught off the coast of Italy a few years ago. I also found this on the net,
http://www.igorilla.com/gorilla/animal/shark_attack_in_Adriatic.html
alan my little daughters leg bled with the fish bit her scab off, she screamed bless her and as for keep moving thats exactly what i was doing including moving my hands under the water in a swishing motion and still the fish bit me grrr, i must taste extra nice lol. :rofl although it didnt hurt its not very nice knowing something you cant see has or is biting you, it really put me off going in the sea and now ive got a scab where it bit my blister off grrr :yikes . my hubby said the trick to him not being bitten so much was keep swimming or floating so your feet dont touch the bottom lol
Hi Allanwall
From tiddlers to great whites good on here int it!!, Heres my little tale!
Many years ago we used to holiday in the then Yugoslavia at a place called Budva, which is now present day Montingro. one time whilst snorteling around a quiet headland away from the tourist area, I saw an "In Memory" of, piece of marble with a picture of a young mans face on it, halfway up a small cliff in a deep cove, obviusly someone had died there
On asking about this I was told by a local, and someone else showed me an old newspaper cutting of it,that in 1983, this being a local diving point one of the young village lads was taken by a "great white".
Apparently the odd one has been known to follow the ships from the southern seas and through the straits of Gibraltar, and I have also read some where,that this is indeed what they occasionaly do
Although this is as rare as "Rocking horse S---"
I have also seen dolfins in the adriatic, that apparently also follow the ships.
Peli
  • Edited by peli 2008-09-08 14:12:08
I personally didn't get this in the sea as I never go in it anyway.......sea-phobic! But people I was talking to said they had been bitten in the sea too, some of the locals were questioning it, saying that she must have been imagining it.

During my first two weeks there this year I got in excess of 40 mozzie bites. I didn't do anything different to other years so have no idea why. My dad, who normally gets bit within 30 minutes of being in Turkey & ends up with anti-biotics, didn't get bit at all this year! He claims it was down to some soap stuff he'd got????

I went back again within a week of being home and didn't get bit at all. Strange :que :think
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.