Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
FISH
28 Posts
i would doubt very much if they were pianhas, as they are a fresh water fish ,found mainly in the amazon river and tributeries .I have never heard of sea water fish biting ,the fact that you did not see them means that they were very small, are you sure they were not some kind of crab, they would not hesitate about taking a nibble at you. probably the best people to shed any light would be the local fishermen. my advise stay out of the waterrrrrr voom voom voom .
bluepeterno1
They were definitely fish, Our friend got bitten the first day and we all laughednott believing him, but a couple of days later my husband got a worse bite, he actually saw the fish, I also had a near miss, felt one about to have a nibble and splashed out. Someone we spoke to said they could be a razor fish, felt like it too!!! Must admit made me wary all the time I was in the water -

Barb
razorfish is in a shell and bury themselves in the sand . the are very skittish and if there is any movement near them they scoot under the sand and hide. dont know what they could be ,i have swam in waters all over turkey and never came across anything that bites . maybe someone will join the forum later on who has some other ideas. it would be good to know about for future reference.

bluepeterno1
The small fish along the coast of Marmaris and Icmeler will nip at your feet as you disturb the ground beneath your feet as they try to snap at the food you have disturbed there.

If you are swimming or floating then they will never come near you.

John
Do they have jelly fish over there?
Both bites were on the leg just below the knee, just wondered of there was little mini-Jaws swimming around that week!

As I said never been bitten before although see plenty of fish.

Barb
they could be tiger fish i have seen them diving over the back in the lagoon at olu quite big but dont go near swimming areas
I saw a really large fish jump out of the water in Turunc Bay about 6 years old whilst we were snorkelling/swimming everyone was looking on the beach saying did you see that??? we never actually saw the fish only the splash but hasten to say we got out the water really quickly and stayed out for a while everyone was talking about it on the beach
Hi Barb

I got bitten by the fish when I was in Icmeler last September is was quite painful. That was the first time in all the years I've been going there that this has happened.

It was fish not crabs, as I stood like an idiot and watched them biting me.

Lynn
there are some fish that are attracted to mabe a cut or a scab and will nibble..like the fish in Kayseri that are used to treat psoriasis
Correct Shirley and I was wondering how long a clever soul like you would post that.

I know of people that have sat in the waters of the lake with very bad psoriasis and they have been cleaned of it for maybe a few months before it has flared up again

John
We have been going to altinkum for many years and last august when we were there both myself and husband were bitten several times this was our first experince of this also. Jacqui
Hi Shirley/John

Just to let you know I have beautiful unspotty legs :rofl so that cant be the reason I was being bitten. :lol:
(I wish)
Lynn
hiya both me and my kids n partner were bitten in the sea in altinkum its wen your still in the water they get you the little swines hurts aswel more like a scratch than anything else was very annoying though having to keep on the move all the time its was mainly round near the ankle we got bit hope dont get bitten this year its spoils my play in the sea with the kids and i do have nice spot free legs aswel :) jojox
:lol: Lyn then they must have been just having a 'nibble'..naughty little fishies
hi jojo 3972,
are you still talking about fish,coz they will get you when your in the water,havn't seen many struggling up the beach to get ya have you, :yikes :rofl
I was on holiday in Rhodes many years ago & one of our group was bitten on the leg near the ankle. It was quite a large bite, like an old 50p (they were a little bigger) piece at least. They said they thought it was a cat fish, I'm not sure if he seen it or was just guessing :?: .
But it was a fairly big bite.
That little blighter has certainly got around!

Someone else thought it could have been a Rass? To ne that means nothing, just little silver fish, I think I will pack my wellies this year!

Barb
it is really unusual flor any fish to bite as they are more scared of you ,and any fish which is big enough would not be in shallow water where people would be paddeling. i have seen small fish maybe nosing about my legs when i am standing still in the water ,and small fish do not have a large mouth with large teeth which is strong enough to take a bite out of people ,around about the scottish waters there are fish called dougie poles and gurnerds who sometimes bury themselves in the sands and are capable of giving a nip. dont no if these are in turkish waters,but i will be watching from now on

bluepeterno1
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.